What is the percentage of "Foreighners" in Thailand?

swissie

"It is estimated that as of the year 2023, there are between 3 to 4 Million foreigners living and working in Thailand. The majority of these foreigners are from neighbouring countries such as but not limited to Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar while a few are from Laos as well."

source

Thailand is also home to more than 200,000 foreigners—retirees, extended tourists, and workers from, for example, Europe, North America, and elsewhere.

source

Or if you like, around 0,3% of the population.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

"It is estimated that as of the year 2023, there are between 3 to 4 Million foreigners living and working in Thailand. The majority of these foreigners are from neighbouring countries such as but not limited to Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar while a few are from Laos as well."

source

Thailand is also home to more than 200,000 foreigners—retirees, extended tourists, and workers from, for example, Europe, North America, and elsewhere.

source

Or if you like, around 0,3% of the population.

The 200'000 are of interest. That would boil down to approx 0,3% of the population. Peanuts compared to my home country, where foreighners make up to 25% of the population.

Therefore, not quite understandable why a good number of Thais (including immigration) feels  the need to keep a thight reighn concerning the "influx" of "long term Farangs".

For better understanding, perhaps it helps to understand that the Thais never asked for "foreighners". They asked for the Wallets of foreighners. Thai Rak Thai and nobody else.

56 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

Ask Chat GPT right here on this site! 

Here is ChatGPT's answer:

Oddly, the stats date back to 2019.

According to the National Statistical Office of Thailand, as of 2019, the percentage of long-term foreign residents (staying in Thailand for at least a year) is approximately 1.32% of the total population. This equates to around 910,000 long-term foreign residents in Thailand.

4 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Here is ChatGPT's answer:

Oddly, the stats date back to 2019.

According to the National Statistical Office of Thailand, as of 2019, the percentage of long-term foreign residents (staying in Thailand for at least a year) is approximately 1.32% of the total population. This equates to around 910,000 long-term foreign residents in Thailand.

That includes bordering Asian countries as stated above, the OP was really talking in terms of Expats retirees (westerners), which is around 0.3%

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

That includes bordering Asian countries as stated above, the OP was really talking in terms of Expats retirees (westerners).

I would think it's close to half a million at a guess, give or take.

2 hours ago, dick turpin said:

Do you mean the percentage

that can spell "foreigner".

In other words, you want to compete with my written English, French and German? Welcome. I always like a linguistic competitive challenge.

10 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Ask Chat GPT right here on this site! 

And you will get a confident answer. And maybe it is correct.

For the record: I know ChatGPT does amazing things. But it is also known to present wrong information like facts.

10 hours ago, swissie said:

The 200'000 are of interest. That would boil down to approx 0,3% of the population. Peanuts compared to my home country, where foreighners make up to 25% of the population.

Therefore, not quite understandable why a good number of Thais (including immigration) feels  the need to keep a thight reighn concerning the "influx" of "long term Farangs".

For better understanding, perhaps it helps to understand that the Thais never asked for "foreighners". They asked for the Wallets of foreighners. Thai Rak Thai and nobody else.

In how many countries are foreigners really welcome?

Sure, if the Italian chef moves to town or the skilled foreign doctor that is fine. But how many "locals" really welcome those ordinary people from other countries?

Thais are not different from others around the world that they like their own culture and are wary of outside influences. I don't blame them. Some influences are interesting and welcome. But unfortunately, there are lots of foreigners who move to developing countries and who then try to show the locals how to do things "the right way"... 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But unfortunately, there are lots of foreigners who move to developing countries and who then try to show the locals how to do things "the right way"... 

Thailand wouldn't have any proper infrastructure if it wasn't for foreigners coming here and showing them the right way. Everything would topple over in a storm because they didn't mix the concrete properly ????

7 hours ago, swissie said:

In other words, you want to compete with my written English, French and German? Welcome. I always like a linguistic competitive challenge.

OK then, tell us what you think "farang" means ????