Judge rules Colorado student cannot wear a sash with Mexican and American flags during graduation

onthedarkside

image.png.9bb1a4c311a35e340e638dd2493e8395.png

A federal judge has ruled for a Colorado school district after a student sued to wear a sash reflecting the Mexican and American flags at graduation Saturday.

The lawsuit said the district violated Naomi Peña Villasano’s “constitutionally protected right to free speech.” Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund attorneys, representing Villasano, also sought a temporary restraining order to allow Villasano to wear the sash at the May 27 ceremony while the court considered their claims.

But Judge Nina Y. Wang on Friday denied that motion.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/05/27/us/colorado-student-graduation-mexican-american-flag/index.html

CNN.jpg.0c34825819b9f56bc6de1fc65bd6747e

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pink Mist said:

The majority of schools do not allow any other accouterments to he worn at graduations. This is for obvious reasons, just like banning beach balls and squirt guns.  While I do understand it's a time to celebrate and cut loose, waiting until after the ceremony is the most important thing so as not to detract from the ceremony, the speaker or the student's names being called out with their accomplishments.

I understand but it still rubs me the wrong way nothing wrong with being proud of your roots 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pink Mist said:

The majority of schools do not allow any other accouterments to he worn at graduations. This is for obvious reasons

Hmm.

"According to the order, Garfield County School District 16, in the western part of the state, had indicated that sashes or cords worn during graduation typically represent membership in a nationally recognized organization; other distinctions such as class honors; future military service; or “regalia that is part of a Native American or Pacific Islander tribe.” Additionally, the school district’s policy says “(i)t is appropriate” to decorate a cap with the “flag of a country as recognized by the United Nations,” the order said."

So some "accoutrements" are evidently allowed, “regalia that is part of a Native American or Pacific Islander tribe", even in this school district. But not all. 

I'm kind of surprised this school district allows the cap to be decorated with another country's flag. ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Pink Mist said:

Could you imagine every student wearing a different gown, cap etc...it would not be a graduation ceremony it would be a circus.

Regarding the "cap", 

Additionally, the school district’s policy says “(i)t is appropriate” to decorate a cap with the “flag of a country as recognized by the United Nations,” the order said.

So there goes your "circus" analogy.

a few days ago, in the news I read some place where some school district,would not allow a native american to wear feathers on her head also.

It stand to reason. If you allow one group , you must allow all , and then all bets are off.

For instance , in support and to display my pride od my frisbeetarian religious beliefs I could demand that instead of the square academic cap,  I could demant to wear a frisbie .:tongue:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Time & place for everything, just not during the actually ceremony.

Another look at me, I'm special ... don't think so.  What is with people wanting to point out some aspect of their being.

Enough with the labels ... look at me I'm:

... I have Spanish/Mexican roots

... I am woman

... I'm gay, or pick a letter

... I'm was oppressed

... I'm black, brown, not white

... I'm a Christion, Jew

... Dem or Rep

... anti abortion, pro life, anti gun, pro gun

I have to make a statement, I have to be different ...

... news flash ... you're not, you're just annoying.

Only you care, shut up already ... ????

All you did was waste your time, the school's time, lawyer's time, and the court's time that actually have better and more important things to do.

Along with proving ... you're just another loser.

Good luck finding a job now, as just put a big sign around your neck announcing you're a trouble making.   Put that on your sash.

What next, sue your employer for a Mexican break room or toilet ????

I guess it is like standing up for the national anthemion, most do, but some just want to be different.

3 hours ago, Tug said:

I understand but it still rubs me the wrong way nothing wrong with being proud of your roots 

Being "proud of your roots" does not necessitate being so ostentatious about them.  Or reminding people of them 24/7.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

There is obviously no Latino national flag as there is no country called Latino. I'm certain that the same petty court Karens that forbade this Mexican flag would also block a Guatemalan flag, etc. But would they have made an issue over a Swedish flag.

Ask a Scholar: What is the True Definition of Latino? by Dario Fernandez-Morera | NAS

It seems to me the basic question is who exactly gets hurt if this young woman wears her preferred sash. Answer: NOBODY!

Why make court cases over such petty matters?

What are the anti-Latino xenophobes afraid of exactly? Do they think Mexico is going act like Russia and invade the Southwest U.S. to take back lands they historically held? A sash triggers them? Come on man!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

There is obviously no Latino national flag as there is no country called Latino. I'm certain that the same petty court Karens that forbade this Mexican flag would also block a Guatemalan flag, etc. But would they have made an issue over a Swedish flag.

Ask a Scholar: What is the True Definition of Latino? by Dario Fernandez-Morera | NAS

It seems to me the basic question is who exactly gets hurt if this young woman wears her preferred sash. Answer: NOBODY!

Why make court cases over such petty matters?

What are the anti-Latino xenophobes afraid of exactly? Do they think Mexico is going act like Russia and invade the Southwest U.S. to take back lands they historically held? A sash triggers them? Come on man!

I agree. There was no reason for the girl to make a court case over it. She could wear her precious sash both before AND after the formal ceremony. Seems like a good compromise to me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I agree. There was no reason for the girl to make a court case over it. She could wear her precious sash both before AND after the formal ceremony. Seems like a good compromise to me.

I agree 100% with this comment and a few of the other ones.  A graduation is special to all.  It is not a time to take away from the others involved in the ceremony by drawing attention to oneself.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

"Discrimatory" and "anti-Latino xenophobes" we had already to comment the verdict..

Now waiting for "racist" and "facist". It won't take long ????

Right wing phony victimhood on display.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

We've had the:

racist, xenophobic, anti-hispanic, anti American, traditionalist, liberal views.

Can I weigh in with a sexist suggestion - she would look good with a pair of knickers made from the Mexican flag and a bra made from the Stars and Stripes.

Not the other way round obviously, that would be disrespectful...

3 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

"Discrimatory" and "anti-Latino xenophobes" we had already to comment the verdict..

Now waiting for "racist" and "facist". It won't take long ????

You forgot bigot and probably a few others.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

When I graduated from school it never occured to me to wear a flag from the old country where I was born.

To make things even sillier, the girl was actually born in the US!  Her parents are immigrants from Mexico.  Kinda strange to want to honor the country where your parents couldnt even make a living. 

...and she wore it anyway at the ceremony. Nice way to honor the country which gave your family refuge. Go to court, lose, then do what you want anyway.  Nice work sweetheart. 

...and her "personal graduation message" was "viva la Raza", a racist trope often used by angry Chicanos from the 1960s. 

Edited by Hanaguma
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

...and she wore it anyway at the ceremony.

Agreed. Standing up for your rights (freedom of speech/expression) is just so Anti-American. :rolleyes

16 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Nice work sweetheart. 

Nice work to you as well for offering such a unique expression.

33 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Agreed. Standing up for your rights (freedom of speech/expression) is just so Anti-American. :rolleyes

Nice work to you as well for offering such a unique expression.

Stand up for your rights, sure. But when a court has ruled, you respect the ruling.  Particularly when YOU are the party who brought the lawsuit in the first place.

Her actions show petulance and immaturity.  Plus a remarkable degree of self absorption, even by modern standards.  I am sure her fellow graduates appreciated being part of her little spectacle /s.

An inflammatory post attacking another poster has been removed.

9. You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages. You will respect other members and post in a civil manner. Personal attacks, insults or hate speech posted on the forum or sent by private message are not allowed.

10. You will not post troll messages. Trolling is the act of purposefully antagonizing forum members by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other members into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.