Passport renewal help

Binger

Hello sorry if in wrong place or forum as i live in sirattana sisaket but thought more people in pattaya.

anyway i english 60 and renewing passport in early July there’s 2 things I want to ask.

1st cos i flying down to bangkok to submit my application i was reading that passport is cancelled on submission of application so how do i fly home ? Is ok to use my pink card ? 

2nd filling out payment form can anyone who has renewed recently tell me the current full cost including admin been looking on gov uk it says £104.50 but i think i read somewhere it was more with admin cost but can’t remember where i read it.

thank you for any help really appreciate it ????????

• Like 1

You get to keep your passport intact for purposes

of ID and domestic travel in Thailand, but as you say

invalid for international travel. It will then be clipped

when you pick up your new passport.

Not sure of current charges, but you will fill out

a separate form with your credit card details,

to allow them to deduct what they like.

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Binger said:

2nd filling out payment form can anyone who has renewed recently tell me the current full cost including admin been looking on gov uk it says £104.50 but i think i read somewhere it was more with admin cost but can’t remember where i read it.

thank you for any help really appreciate it ????????

Its all on here; https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/renew/adult?

image.png.1d383ec3e465071812cefd6cf1a2fd9b.png

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

No.

Thai Drivers License is accepted for domestic flights.

The reason that you cannot use the pink id card is that the name there (it's in Thai) will not match the name on your boarding card.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I used an agent (Speedy Visa) more expensive, but they did everything. Yes, you are stuck without a passport for a while. I have renewed in Thailand before and the previous system allowed you to keep your passport whilst a new one was being processed. Personally, I don't think it is a good policy they have now to leave people stranded without the ability to travel. I was left hoping that no emergencies or whatever came up for 3 or 4 months which I was not entirely happy about.

I hope that helps.

Edited by Villapete

26 minutes ago, Villapete said:

I used an agent (Speedy Visa) more expensive, but they did everything. Yes, you are stuck without a passport for a while. I have renewed in Thailand before and the previous system allowed you to keep your passport whilst a new one was being processed. Personally, I don't think it is a good policy they have now to leave people stranded without the ability to travel. I was left hoping that no emergencies or whatever came up for 3 or 4 months which I was not entirely happy about.

I hope that helps.

Absolutely crazy to leave yourself without a passport for that length of time.

Enuff said....????

• Thumbs Up 1

Enuff said....????

Just to note the old passport needs to be sent to HM Passport Office in UK to be invalidated. You are not able to keep possession of it. My new passport arrived together with my old passport which had been invalidated and clipped.

Absolutely, it is similar mad bureaucracy with UK driving licences that expire (as mine did). If you rerturn to the UK, you cannot apply to renew your licence in first 6 months (I guess as a test of residency). Bonkers bureaucracy IMHO.

Edited by Villapete

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Nonsense.

Why post when you obviously do not know. I kept mine (in Thailand), needed for many things, hotel stay, doing things at the bank. When picking up the new passport, it was required, and got clipped. 

When did you keep yours?  Have things changed since then?

1 minute ago, Dante99 said:

When did you keep yours?  Have things changed since then?

About 2 years ago. I believe it is a requirement for foreigners to have their passports with them in Thailand..... I actually used an agent and picked up my old passport from their office. I had to return it to them when the new one was ready. 

Since then I have not heard that situation has changed....and more recently someone asked at the Expats Club and someone said they had kept their old one. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Very Simply put. 

1) You keep hold of your UK passport and submit colour photo copies of every page.

2) Only once you receive your new (replacement) passport is the ‘old’ passport cut (corner cut) to highlight its now no longer a document valid for travel.

3) The Gov.UK states you ‘must not travel’ [international] once you have made a submission.

4) You can also use your Pink ID card for ID when travelling on domestic flights.

Ultimately - you have nothing to be concerned about other than the time it takes for renewal. 

I’m currently waiting on a Passport - 6 weeks so far. 

On point #3: I’m not sure how the HMPO or UK Immigration would know IF the passport is used for travel unless travelling to / from the UK and only IF the border control system is tied into the HMPO system.

19 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:
19 hours ago, DrJoy said:

No.

Thai Drivers License is accepted for domestic flights.

The reason that you cannot use the pink id card is that the name there (it's in Thai) will not match the name on your boarding card.

Technically correct - however plenty of people have and do use their Pink ID for domestic flights.

I have....  its all somewhat of a moot point anyway, the Op will keep hold of his UK Passport for proof of ID. 

5 hours ago, Villapete said:

Enuff said....????

Not really enuff said - more needs to be said about the inaccuracy of your comment. 

You are 100% incorrect with your response. 

5 hours ago, Villapete said:

Just to note the old passport needs to be sent to HM Passport Office in UK to be invalidated. You are not able to keep possession of it. My new passport arrived together with my old passport which had been invalidated and clipped.

When applying from overseas via the VFS the ‘old’ passport is not sent anywhere.

When the ‘new’ passport is collected the VFS ‘clip’ the corner off the old passport which you then keep hold of. 

7 hours ago, Villapete said:

I hope that helps.

One would ‘only’ be stuck without their passport IF they use an agent. 

Theoretically, IF the agent is efficient they can get the original passport back to you very quickly.

Ultimately, there is no need to be without your passport at all when applying at VFS yourself. 

Additionally: The Gov.uk website states you ‘must not travel’ with your passport (which I assume means internationally) while you have a passport application in place. However, cannot see how they could possibly know - thus, in an ‘emergency’ situation I believe it would be still be possible to use your existing passport to travel.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/28/2023 at 11:07 AM, dick turpin said:

You get to keep your passport intact for purposes

of ID and domestic travel in Thailand, but as you say

invalid for international travel. It will then be clipped

when you pick up your new passport.

Not sure of current charges, but you will fill out

a separate form with your credit card details,

to allow them to deduct what they like.

Or debit card.

'Nonsense.

Why post when you obviously do not know'.

___

Ok. I got mine renewed about 6 months ago. That was my experience. It may not have necessarily been the correct experience, but I am OK now because I have new and old passport back. I posted just to help someone. I have lived in Thailand about 12 years and posted on here about a handful of times; so, it is not like I sit here making up stories and posting them online is it. I am not a visa expert, I am just an expat sharing my experience which I thought may help. I will be less inclined to do so again in future.

___

My agent was Speedy Visa. Speak to them to verify if you wish.

Edited by Villapete

8 minutes ago, Villapete said:

It is normal for an agent to keep hold of your UK passport when applying on your behalf but only for their convenience,  they don't send it to the UK for any purpose.  It is still cancelled at VFS when they pick up your new passport exactly as it would be if you applied directly.

3 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

It is normal for an agent to keep hold of your UK passport when applying on your behalf but only for their convenience,  they don't send it to the UK for any purpose.  It is still cancelled at VFS when they pick up your new passport exactly as it would be if you applied directly.

OK. Thanks for that. I stand corrected if the passport does not have to go to the UK. I was under the impression that is what I was advised at the time, but I could have misunderstood and the agent was just doing as you said.

All the best,

Peter

28 minutes ago, Villapete said:

'Nonsense.

Why post when you obviously do not know'.

___

Ok. I got mine renewed about 6 months ago. That was my experience. It may not have necessarily been the correct experience, but I am OK now because I have new and old passport back. I posted just to help someone. I have lived in Thailand about 12 years and posted on here about a handful of times; so, it is not like I sit here making up stories and posting them online is it. I am not a visa expert, I am just an expat sharing my experience which I thought may help. I will be less inclined to do so again in future.

___

You posted misleading and incorrect information and missed out the critical part that you’d used an agent. 

You claimed the Old Passport needs to be send to HMPO - this is not true.

You claimed you are not allowed to keep possession of if (old passport) - this is not true

Then it turns out you used an Agent, so it was clearly the ‘agent’ holding the passport, they never sent it to HMPO.

The agent will have used VFS in Bangkok and it is there where the passport was ‘clipped’ only upon receipt of the new passport.

The agent didn’t need to hold on to your passport at all, but perhaps did so for their convenience as they’d need it to collect the new passport.

It is for these reasons that those responding have been vocal about your comments.

It's good that people want to help others, but as you mentioned, people should be more careful about the inaccuracies of doing so.

Edited by richard_smith237

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

On point #3: I’m not sure how the HMPO or UK Immigration would know IF the passport is used for travel unless travelling to / from the UK and only IF the border control system is tied into the HMPO system.

UK Immigration would know as they receive API data from the airlines which contains passport information, but whether it would show as cancelled I have no idea.

7 minutes ago, DudleySquat said:

You use your current valid passport and get a new one in blighty.

I think he means fly back to his home in Thailand.

On 5/28/2023 at 4:29 AM, Binger said:

1st cos i flying down to bangkok to submit my application i was reading that passport is cancelled on submission of application so how do i fly home ? Is ok to use my pink card ?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...