Visa extension on a visa exempt entry

If I intend to stay 60 days but enter as a visa exempt for 30 days with a confirmed fight out, how easy is it get a 30 day visa extension at a regional immigration office thus not needing to actually leave the country and return?

Planning to stay in Surat Thani and want to avoid having to actually go to Bangkok or Phuket to do the flight out and back. Married to a Thai if that helps.

The only issue could be boarding at your departure point without a visa if your exit/return flight is beyond the 30 days granted on a exempt entry.

Some airlines are stricter than others, KLM and Emirates in the UK for example.

You could always get a Non O visa based on your marriage if you can stick 90 days with your wife, alternatively a 60 day tourist visa is cheaper and less hassle than an extension at immigration.

Edited by The Fat Controller
Added Info

27 minutes ago, The Fat Controller said:

The only issue could be boarding at your departure point without a visa if your exit/return flight is beyond the 30 days granted on a exempt entry.

That's correct and to be taken into account when departing for Thailand VisaExempt. 

So if you have or plan to buy a return fight after the 30 days for which you will be stamped in on arrival, the airline at depature might and probably will ask for an outbound-flight ticket on a date prior to your 30 day Permit to stay. 

There are several options to meet that requirement:

- Buy a cheap throw-away one-way flight from Bangkok to a neighboring country (e.g. one-way tickets BKK to HoChiMinh city only cost approx 2.000 THB)

- Buy an on-line onward-flight reservation ticket (e.g. onwardticket.com).  These are genuine and fully legit reservation tickets and cost approx 12-15 US $, the companies providing that service automatically cancel them 2-3 days after ordering the ticket, and the ticket is delivered on the spot (so you need to do this close to your departure date, e.g. night before departure). 

- Book a flexible return-ticket and after arrival in Thailand change the return date from prior to the 30-days to the actual date you want to return.

• Like 1

OP, as others have point out the 30 day extension is basically automatic.

Regarding onward flight within 30 days for visa exempt travel the airline should accept your ticket out within 60 by explaining your intention to obtain a 30 day extension.

In the event of any issue...step away from counter and book a "rent a flight" .

Sites such as "onwardflight.com" will issue that instantly. 

Think that for future visits you have other options especially being married to a Thai. 

• Like 2

My last trip was Visa Exempt, with a 30 day extension . The extension was done at Ratchaburi Immigration, there was no mention of departing flight, and there is no where on the form (TM7) to list it. I had a previous TM30 done in January, so it wasnt needed this time just a copy of the TM30 receipt.  1900 Baht and done

8 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

- Book a flexible return-ticket and after arrival in Thailand change the return date from prior to the 30-days to the actual date you want to return.

I was worried about that last november since I entered Thailand on visa exempt then later asked for  a Non-O visa then extension.

I had a flexible return-ticket but Air France told me that I did not need to change my return flight (which was 6 monts later) and that, in case there would be a problem when checking-in, I could easily ask for a change at check-in counter or just call Air France to have a change made immediately. This is what I did and I wasn't asked anything at departure airport.

I didn't want to change my return flight if not necessary.

Even if my ticket was flexible, there were fees to change 2 times.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/29/2023 at 1:32 AM, DrJack54 said:

OP, as others have point out the 30 day extension is basically automatic.

Regarding onward flight within 30 days for visa exempt travel the airline should accept your ticket out within 60 by explaining your intention to obtain a 30 day extension.

In the event of any issue...step away from counter and book a "rent a flight" .

Sites such as "onwardflight.com" will issue that instantly. 

Think that for future visits you have other options especially being married to a Thai. 

I replied about getting a throw away ticket before see this. Has anybody tried saying they intend to extend the visa? To he honest I have only done the poot route once before in 2020 just before covid and I did have an exit flight to KL as I wanted a week end their with the wife anyway. Sod's law the check in at Heathrow weren't interested in seeing the poot.

• Confused 1