Bangkok to Celebrate Pride Month in June

snoop1130

8 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

And I disagree with your opinion.  I think reality is not to your liking, so you are ignoring it.

You're welcome to think that, of course, as I am to disagree.

I'm fine with agreeing to disagree. But I will emphasize again that the "seeking special rights" attack line is an old and classic talking point of anti-gay demagogues.

Edited by Jingthing

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm fine with agreeing to disagree. But I will emphasize again that the "seeking special rights" attack line is an old and classic talking point of anti-gay demagogues.

I'm not attacking anyone and, as I said, the "special treatment" (I didn't say special rights) is fine for marginalised people.  They deserve it if they are oppressed and need to "balance the scales" to make it so they are closer to being equal.  However, once their treatment becomes normal and mainstream, the special treatment needs to taper off.

If you believe that no one is asking for special treatment, then my stance should not bother you, as I then have nothing to object to.

9 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I'm not attacking anyone and, as I said, the "special treatment" (I didn't say special rights) is fine for marginalised people.  They deserve it if they are oppressed and need to "balance the scales" to make it so they are closer to being equal.  However, once their treatment becomes normal and mainstream, the special treatment needs to taper off.

If you believe that no one is asking for special treatment, then my stance should not bother you, as I then have nothing to object to.

I call B.S.

You've obviously accused LGBT people in general to be over claiming oppression in a ploy to get special rights.

LGBT people have equal civil rights in a limited number of countries and even in those places they often face social homophobia (even from their own family) because you can never legislate out how people feel. And those are the best countries. It goes down from there.

Thailand is a country where LGBT people do not enjoy equal civil rights but it is obviously not on the severe oppression list such as Iran and Uganda.

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I call B.S.

You've obviously accused LGBT people in general to be claiming over claiming oppression in a ploy to get special rights.

No.  I'm not claiming that all LGBT are doing this, obviously.  I also didn't say special rights, so I'm not sure why you've written that again immediately following me correcting you.

You appear to be misinterpreting/misrepresenting what I am saying.  Unfortunate.

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

No.  I'm not claiming that all LGBT are doing this, obviously.  I also didn't say special rights, so I'm not sure why you've written that again immediately following me correcting you.

You appear to be misinterpreting/misrepresenting what I am saying.  Unfortunate.

I'm not buying your so called correction.  You're just playing semantic games. You might fool some people, but you're not fooling me. 

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Hardly.  There's nothing wrong with oppressed or marginalised people wanting special treatment to balance the scales, but call it what it is.

Could you give some examples of the special treatment that is being sought according to you?

14 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Why are you always so eager, and never fail, to be one of the first to make negative  comments on any LGBQ thread ???? 

Keep your homophobic agenda to yourself and stop hijacking these threads that don't concern you.

You just make the same inane comments against gay people or the LGBQ community, and get the same answers each time. So you must be either really dumb or just a nasty bitter old homophobic man. 

Really no need to ageism and sexism 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Special treatment?

That's rich.

Again I think you're over reaching with a specious line of attack.

Also don't play games.

This topic is about LGBT  You're accusing LGBT of getting special treatment and not really all that discriminated against. A classic anti gay talking point.

Obviously there are levels of discrimination country by country.

Nobody is denying that.

But it really is a constant struggle. 

Look what's happening in the US with so many new backlash laws being passed in so many states.

Special treatment? You betcha. Especially bad treatment.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/04/06/politics/anti-lgbtq-plus-state-bill-rights-dg/index.html

Record number of anti-LGBTQ bills have been introduced this year

By Annette Choi, CNN

Published 6:00 AM EDT, Thu April 6, 2023

CNN — 

At least 417 anti-LGBTQ bills have been introduced in state legislatures across the United States since the start of the year — a new record, according to American Civil Liberties Union data as of April 3. That’s already more than twice the number of such bills introduced all of last year.

Nothing to do with Thailand. Thailand has more gays than any country I've seen. 

9 hours ago, jak2002003 said:
On 5/30/2023 at 8:39 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Why do they, in particular, need to be "honoured", what is so especially honourable about their sexual inclinations over normal people's?

Why do their voices, particularly, need to be "amplified".

Expand  

Why are you always so eager, and never fail, to be one of the first to make negative  comments on any LGBQ thread ???? 

Keep your homophobic agenda to yourself and stop hijacking these threads that don't concern you.

You just make the same inane comments against gay people or the LGBQ community, and get the same answers each time. So you must be either really dumb or just a nasty bitter old homophobic man. 

"Why are you always so eager, and never fail, to be one of the first to make negative  comments on any LGBQ thread"

Is there anything that prevents me from posting my opinion on any forum threads?  This is a discussion forum, isn't it, not a one-sided fan club?

"Keep your homophobic agenda to yourself and stop hijacking these threads that don't concern you".

I have no "homophobia" as you claim, neither do I have an agenda.  I do have opinions, as does everyone else here, and I have exactly the same right to express my opinions...even if they do not align with yours.  Expressing opinions on the subject of the thread is not hijacking the thread.

"...you must be either really dumb or just a nasty bitter old homophobic man".

Really?  At least I'm not so dumb as to not know the forum rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reported Troll posts and a personal attack have been removed.  Additionally, a post altering the quoted post of a poster has been removed.

11. You will not troll or stalk other members by misusing forum posts, private messages, reactions, emojis or by any other means.

28. You will not make changes to messages quoted from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. Do not shorten any post in a way that alters the context of the original post. Do not change the formatting of the post you are quoting.

19 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, I'm not, that's just your opinion but don't expect people to notice.

You are saying that people get treated equally which isn't true at all.

That is not what I said, please do not misquote me, I said that we all have the same civil rights, that is a fact, we do.  LGBs etc. are not denied any civil rights by virtue of their inclinations.

15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That is not what I said, please do not misquote me, I said that we all have the same civil rights, that is a fact, we do.  LGBs etc. are not denied any civil rights by virtue of their inclinations.

There are a lot of other rights which are denied. The fact that you compare them to "normal people" in an earlier post says that you don't see them as normal people. This proofs they have a long way to go to be fully accepted in society. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:
22 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

There are a lot of other rights which are denied.

Which civil rights are they denied as Jingthing, to whom I was responding, claimed?  That was my point.

6 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

The fact that you compare them to "normal people" in an earlier post says that you don't see them as normal people.

"The fact that you compare them to "normal people..."

That is not a "fact".  I did not compare them to normal people, I made a reference to what I consider to be normal behaviour, as is my privilege.  As I have said to another poster, this is a discussion forum on which posters are entitled to have and post their opinions, even if they do not align with everyone else's, this forum is not intended to be a one-sided fan club with every comment falling into line with some kind of agenda.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In terms of Pride Month here is what would ACTUALLY constitute special rights for LGBT people. 

Step 1

Change the laws to make LGBT people 100 percent equal to straight people 

Step 2

Change the laws to discriminate against straight people in exactly the same way LGBT people are being discriminated against now.

Step 3 

Cancel LGBT Pride month and replace with Straight Pride Month

Because

It would then be LGBT Pride month every month of the year in the same way that it is now Straight Pride Month every month of the year.

But relax LGBT people don't want such special rights.

Just full 100 percent equality under the law. 

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not buying your so called correction.  You're just playing semantic games.

You said I said "special rights".  I didn't say that, and told you so.  You chose to continue to try to pretend that I said "special rights".

I was just pointing out your error.  If you want to pretend it didn't happen, up to you, but you can see in the thread what I actually said.

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You might fool some people, but you're not fooling me. 

It would appear you are fooling yourself and you don't need any help from me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There it is.

What a crock.

How is Pride Month not special treatment?  It's a month long event/series of events just for LGBT people.

It's clearly special treatment.  They're getting something that not every demographic gets.

If you don't realise that that is special treatment, this is far more of a "there it is" moment for you than for me.

Your bias is clear for all to see.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

In terms of Pride Month here is what would ACTUALLY constitute special rights for LGBT people. 

Step 1

Change the laws to make LGBT people 100 percent equal to straight people 

Step 2

Change the laws to discriminate against straight people in exactly the same way LGBT people are being discriminated against now.

Step 3 

Cancel LGBT Pride month and replace with Straight Pride Month

Because

It would then be LGBT Pride month every month of the year in the same way that it is now Straight Pride Month every month of the year.

But relax LGBT people don't want such special rights.

Just full 100 percent equality under the law. 

Its not straight pride month every month of the year though , straight people do not celebrate being straight or go on marches  straight and wave "straight" flags in LTBG people faces . 

Straight people don't keep telling LTBG people that they are straight  and blowing whistles and waving flags around to demonstrate that  .

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

You said I said "special rights".  I didn't say that, and told you so.  You chose to continue to try to pretend that I said "special rights".

I was just pointing out your error.  If you want to pretend it didn't happen, up to you, but you can see in the thread what I actually said.

It would appear you are fooling yourself and you don't need any help from me.

No.

That is a distortion. 

In the context of this discussion special rights and special treatment have the SAME meaning. 

Saying special treatment reads as a cynical softening trick to avoid saying special rights which is a notorious right wing talking point  to attack the civil rights efforrs of minorities seeking EQUAL rights.

13 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

How is Pride Month not special treatment?  It's a month long event/series of events just for LGBT people.

It's clearly special treatment.  They're getting something that not every demographic gets.

If you don't realise that that is special treatment, this is far more of a "there it is" moment for you than for me.

Your bias is clear for all to see.

I already explained this.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1