Bangkok to Celebrate Pride Month in June

snoop1130

28 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

There is so much misunderstanding here. Let me make a few observations on previous comments.

"Pride Month is special treatment." - No it isn't; in fact it can't be.

Firstly, Pride Month is just a concept and as such it can't confer any treatment special or otherwise Previously Pride events were staged throughout the year from March to September and this is attempt to bring some of them together where feasible with the weather.

Secondly "Special" infers that there is treatment that isn't available to all groups. Nothing is being granted to anyone who participates in Pride Month that isn't available to all. Straights are most welcome at any events as they are gay pubs and clubs all round. Conversely no one who wishes not to participate loses out on anything, straight or gay. 

Thirdly Pride Month is about celebration, acceptance, education, inclusion and solidarity, again concepts with events open all.

" Straight people don't keep telling LTBG people that they are straight and blowing whistles and waving flags around to demonstrate that." - No? Well I could swear that there are innumerable posts on this website alone with straight guys boasting about their prowess with Thai women. A celebration of their sexuality indeed. All that's missing is the flags. ????

".....straight people don't have straight pride month, straight marches etc... " They did but it was a disaster and poorly attended.  They even had their own black and white striped flag. ????  The problem was sensible people realised it was just a stunt and unnecessary, like White Lives Matter.

"I'm honestly curious...    When did being homosexual become a culture ???...  Its just sexuality... " Culture is defined as "....achievements of a ............. social group." Many advancements have been made but there is still a way to go. 

There was something else but I've forgotten now. Lol. Sorry for not replying individually but it's too much hassle

Solid response....  +1... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

There is so much misunderstanding here. Let me make a few observations on previous comments.

There's no misunderstanding, just things you disagree with.

26 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

"Pride Month is special treatment." - No it isn't; in fact it can't be.

"Pride Month" is clearly special treatment.  How can it not be?  The whole idea is that the month is dedicated to activity geared towards one group.

Firstly, Pride Month is just a concept and as such it can't confer any treatment special or otherwise Previously Pride events were staged throughout the year from March to September and this is attempt to bring some of them together where feasible with the weather.

Even if it was only a concept (which it isn't), having a "concept" dedicated to a particular group can easily be considered "special treatment".

Secondly "Special" infers that there is treatment that isn't available to all groups. Nothing is being granted to anyone who participates in Pride Month that isn't available to all. Straights are most welcome at any events as they are gay pubs and clubs all round. Conversely no one who wishes not to participate loses out on anything, straight or gay. 

Pride month is about the LGBT community.  Having non-LGBT people allowed to participate doesn't make it any less about LGBT.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm honestly curious...    When did being homosexual become a culture ???...  Its just sexuality... 

That I am ‘heterosexual’ is no more being part of culture than being bald... 

Also... why does being heterosexual, homosexual or any of the LGBTQIA2S+ require any ‘celebration’ at all ????....   

NO!

It's not just sexuality.

LGBT culture - Wikipedia

Where did you get that narrow idea?!?

Here's a part of gay culture that I used to love passionately.

Why have celebrations?

Um, because we're humans.
Are you having a laugh?

Why have Rio Carnival?

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, quake said:

Some people think they are more important than others.

One month of important people coming up. yawn. :coffee1:.

Straight legislators who dominate every government in the world seem to think they are more important than others, because LGBT lack equal civil rights in the vast majority of the world.

Yawn.

The politics of resentment here against gay people reeks. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, I await people to add the rest of the alphabet to their silliness, as plenty of letters, numbers & symbols not being used.

How many genders & sub-categories of sexual preferences are really needed.

2 Genders ... IMHO

... male (have a penis)

... female (don't have)

3 Preference ... IMHO

... Heterosexual (Straight, the other gender)

... Homosexual (Gay/same gender)

... Bisexual (both, either or, depending on mood)

SGB ... done, stop the silliness, as simply redundant.

Ex: Lesbian = Gay, do you really need a separate letter designation

St George Bank is SGB.

I agree with JingTing.

Don't ya worry. No gay or bi will touch you, homophobe guys. It is just like a celebration. We just wish you fascists stayed away. It is just once a year. So, what the heck is your problem? 

And, as for being half naked, bla bla bla, you have no problem with girls being half naked at Cowboy etc (I sure dont), so let the trans and gay people be half naked, there too ????

Don't be hypocrites.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

NO!

It's not just sexuality.

LGBT culture - Wikipedia

Where did you get that narrow idea?!?

Here's a part of gay culture that I used to love passionately.

Why have celebrations?

Um, because we're humans.
Are you having a laugh?

Why have Rio Carnival?

Fair enough...   I thoroughly enjoy Christmas with my family..  Thats part of culture. 

I enjoy watching Rugby and football with friends, thats part of culture too.

So I kind of understand your point, anything can be culture if we want to habitually celebrate customs of various social groups....  everyone has that right along with all other equal rights. 

Another question - is there a wiki-page for ’straight culture’ or ‘heterosexual culture’ ??? - I know it's a bit of a ’trollish’ question, somewhat similar to the trolling attempt to create a ’straight pride parade’ in Boston...

...BUT... IF there were to be a ’straight pride parade’ would the message be ‘we’re happy and proud to be straight’ ???...  or is it... ‘we’re happy and proud not to be gay’ ???...  why would people assume antagonism when heterosexuals are homophobic if assuming antagonism for a whole month to celebrate being ‘gay pride’... ??

Additionally, now its become ‘Pride’ which is all encompassing whatever the latest acronyms..

Is it now LGBTQQIP2SA+  ?? (I have to keep going back to the internet to find out)... 

But... there isn’t H in there for Heterosexual ??? are we excluded ??? I know you mentioned the celebration is for everyone....  So why not just call it L ??... for Life ??? and call it Life Pride Month ???

To me Pride Month appears to be a celebration of being ’not heterosexual’ and hence the reason many conventional heterosexuals interpret some form of affront and hence these debates. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, JemJem said:

I agree with JingTing.

Don't ya worry. No gay or bi will touch you, homophobe guys. It is just like a celebration. We just wish you fascists stayed away. It is just once a year. So, what the heck is your problem? 

And, as for being half naked, bla bla bla, you have no problem with girls being half naked at Cowboy etc (I sure dont), so let the trans and gay people be half naked, there too ????

Don't be hypocrites.

Levying accusations of homophobia and fascism is not really helping the debate or any understanding of your point... comments like yours are as divisive as those who express their bigotry. 

So, I agree.. Don’t be a hypocrite. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Fair enough...   I thoroughly enjoy Christmas with my family..  Thats part of culture. 

I enjoy watching Rugby and football with friends, thats part of culture too.

So I kind of understand your point, anything can be culture if we want to habitually celebrate customs of various social groups....  everyone has that right along with all other equal rights. 

Another question - is there a wiki-page for ’straight culture’ or ‘heterosexual culture’ ??? - I know it's a bit of a ’trollish’ question, somewhat similar to the trolling attempt to create a ’straight pride parade’ in Boston...

...BUT... IF there were to be a ’straight pride parade’ would the message be ‘we’re happy and proud to be straight’ ???...  or is it... ‘we’re happy and proud not to be gay’ ???...  why would people assume antagonism when heterosexuals are homophobic if assuming antagonism for a whole month to celebrate being ‘gay pride’... ??

Additionally, now its become ‘Pride’ which is all encompassing whatever the latest acronyms..

Is it now LGBTQQIP2SA+  ?? (I have to keep going back to the internet to find out)... 

But... there isn’t H in there for Heterosexual ??? are we excluded ??? I know you mentioned the celebration is for everyone....  So why not just call it L ??... for Life ??? and call it Life Pride Month ???

To me Pride Month appears to be a celebration of being ’not heterosexual’ and hence the reason many conventional heterosexuals interpret some form of affront and hence these debates. 

Sigh!

Here we go again.

Straight people basically control the entire world, always have, always will, simply based on their overwhelming MAJORITY numbers, while LGBT don't have equal civil rights in the vast majority of countries, and yet all this agonizing about LGBT having something that they don't have.

To me, it comes off as nutty.

Are you jealous?

Here Are 25 Straight Pride Events, Beause Apparently Straight People Need Them (yahoo.com)

Granted, none of these events are tied to a specific instance in history when heterosexual people were oppressed or marginalized because of something inherent about them. In fact, having a month of recognition isn't a privilege but rather a consolation prize for being treated so terribly for so long. But fear not, because there are so many times during the year when being heterosexual is of little to no consequence in your daily life. Let's celebrate that!

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sigh!

Here we go again.

Straight people basically control the entire world, always have, always will, simply based on their overwhelming MAJORITY numbers, while LGBT don't have equal civil rights in the vast majority of countries,

Valid argument...     Equal rights for everyone... obsoletely agree...   straight people being in the majority, ergo there is an overwhelming number of straight people controlling the world...  also seems normal with the proviso that control should also be exercised with equal rights for everyone - so I understand there needs to be a voice, especially in some countries. 

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

and yet all this agonizing about LGBT having something that they don't have.

Not really... its just seems that at times common sense is kneecapped with some of these issues. 

Bangkok having a ‘pride month’ ?... where is the ‘disabled month’ ????  OK,  the disabled get an Olympics....  you don't want an LBGT Olympics do you ????  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Gay_Games

It just starts getting a bit silly.....  

As you mentioned straight people are the overwhelming majority... yet it seems the LBGT voice shouts so much louder at times - I think that is the point of a lot of the discussion, its not the validity of the points being made, its the volume...  perhaps that’s necessary to bring equality in areas where there is none. 

It also seems those area’s where LBGT rights are limited, are also the same area’s where Women rights are also limited, also those same areas where the legal systems are generally atrocious...  

And, it also seems that those areas where the ‘free discussion’ can be had are the same areas where those not in complete alignment are accused of being homophobic... 

For example: I’m sure you’ll want to label me as being homophobic for highlighting the utter ridiculousness of a ‘Gay Games’.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Valid argument...     Equal rights for everyone... obsoletely agree...   straight people being in the majority, ergo there is an overwhelming number of straight people controlling the world...  also seems normal with the proviso that control should also be exercised with equal rights for everyone - so I understand there needs to be a voice, especially in some countries. 

Not really... its just seems that at times common sense is kneecapped with some of these issues. 

Bangkok having a ‘pride month’ ?... where is the ‘disabled month’ ????  OK,  the disabled get an Olympics....  you don't want an LBGT Olympics do you ????  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Gay_Games

It just starts getting a bit silly.....  

As you mentioned straight people are the overwhelming majority... yet it seems the LBGT voice shouts so much louder at times - I think that is the point of a lot of the discussion, its not the validity of the points being made, its the volume...  perhaps that’s necessary to bring equality in areas where there is none. 

It also seems those area’s where LBGT rights are limited, are also the same area’s where Women rights are also limited, also those same areas where the legal systems are generally atrocious...  

And, it also seems that those areas where the ‘free discussion’ can be had are the same areas where those not in complete alignment are accused of being homophobic... 

For example: I’m sure you’ll want to label me as being homophobic for highlighting the utter ridiculousness of a ‘Gay Games’.... 

I read this three times and I really don't get it.

LGBT stuff "too loud" for your tastes.

Hmm. 

How about change the channel? 

I'm not into the Gay Games either, but why can't you just ignore them? 

There are millions of things happening in the world that don't personally interest us.

So freakin' what?!?

We're basically built to FILTER stuff out. People can't function otherwise.

I don't know if you're homophobic or not.

I will say if someone started randomly posting about their objections to the Maccabiah Games (I'm also not into them) I would have my suspicions about them.

I'm not very convinced about your whining about how your free speech is limited. I think more like it isn't really limited but it pisses you off that speech can have consequences.

Edited by Jingthing

I had nothing against such events until recently, that is until such an event in Sydney earlier this year totally f***** up my Australia holiday, thanks to huge traffic jams it created. Just tell me 'when' and 'where' something like this takes place in Thailand so that I can stay away and avoid it...

6 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I had nothing against such events until recently, that is until such an event in Sydney earlier this year totally f***** up my Australia holiday, thanks to huge traffic jams it created. Just tell me 'when' and 'where' something like this takes place in Thailand so that I can stay away and avoid it...

That's on you because that would be like you arriving in New Orleans during Mardi Gras and not knowing it was going to happen. 

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

What's wrong with the "Pride Month" example?  If you don't accept a literal month long period dedicated to LGBT as being an example of special treatment, why would you accept anything else?

Straight Pride is every DAY. Talk about special rights.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's on you because that would be like you arriving in New Orleans during Mardi Gras and not knowing it was going to happen. 

I know. I'm white, male, and heterosexual, ergo bad, bad, bad, and the reason for all the world's troubles... But no, not everyone knew about that one-time event in Sydney, contrary to Mardi Gras... (And I challenge you to do a survey, say, in Bangkok, randomly asking people what 'Mardi Gras' is, not to mention 'when'. Wonder, if only 1 out of twenty would know about it...)

Edited by StayinThailand2much

2 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I know. I'm white, male, and heterosexual, ergo bad, bad, bad, and the reason for all the world's troubles... But no, not  everyone knew about about that one-time event in Sydney, different to Mardi Gras...

A person would have to be very clueless to not know about Sydney Mardi Gras! It's hardly a gays only event. It's one of the most famous big parties on earth. 

Similarly you don't need to be straight to know that you're arriving in a city during a SUPER BOWL. 

Edited by Jingthing

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

A pIerson would have to be very clueless to not know about Sydney Mardi Gras! It's hardly a gays only event. It's one of the most famous big parties on earth. 

Similarly you don't need to be straight to know that you're arriving in a city during a SUPER BOWL. 

Where I come from there is no 'Super Bowl' (and a majority of people wouldn't know what that is), and you cannot expect from every foreign tourist to know that there is a Sydney Mardi Gras (or do you know all the festivals in Spain, Argentina, and Pakistan?), especially if, like me at that time, they only pass through Sydney on the way to someplace else. Also, there weren't any government or media announcements that one should expect hour-long traffic jams when leaving the city...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

46 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Very interesting, but even if you think special treatment is deserved, it is still special treatment.  ????‍♂️

No, dude.

Special rights is what straight people have in having Straight Pride EVERY DAY in every country in the world. 

You'll never get this. Just agree to disagree. 

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Where I come from there is no 'Super Bowl' (and a majority of people wouldn't know what that is), and you cannot expect from every foreign tourist to know that there is a Sydney Mardi Gras (or do you know all the festivals in Spain, Argentina, and Pakistan?), especially if, like me at that time, they only pass through Sydney on the way to someplace else. Also, there weren't any government or media announcements that one should expect hour-long traffic jams when leaving the city...

It's something most people that travel the world would be aware of.

But I had my Sydney issues too.

I arrived during fire season and the air quality was atrocious.