Savannakhet Setv denied

26 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan said:

Could you show me of any source where it shows that happened? Because I hear people say it a lot but I have never seen any first hand experiences.

https://aseannow.com/topic/989464-denied-entry-at-suvarnabhumi/ 

Start with this thread way back in 2017.

Can post many others but it's boring.

Seemed to reach a peak in 2018, 2019 when it was common.

Folk refused entry using too many repeat entries via air.

Sometimes only spending couple of days out of Thailand.

This was most common at Bangkok airports. 

Some folk were even selecting CNX as a safer entry point. 

Since covid things have had a reset due to the amnesty and covid extensions for couple of years.

Rest assured overdoing visa exempt entries and resulting in refused entry will start to pop up in the future. 

Edited by DrJack54

obviously refused as the OP is clearly not a tourist.  Any person staying in Thailand for an extended length of time should acquire the appropriate visa. It's clearly stated on many forms and at immigration.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, steven100 said:

obviously refused as the OP is clearly not a tourist.  Any person staying in Thailand for an extended length of time should acquire the appropriate visa. It's clearly stated on many forms and at immigration.

It really depends on whether you consider long stay tourism (staying somewhere for extended periods for pleasure) is a real thing. I personally, for instance, consider snowbirds who spend many months each year in Thailand to escape the cold weather winters in their own countries to be tourists. Obviously, not everyone agrees.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan said:

I found some lawyer's websites which state that up to 6 entries by air per year are okay.

Please don't tell me that's "Integrity Legal" 

6 visa exempt entries via air in a year, especially with extensions and back to back would provide a one year stay.

And 100% would result in refused entry.

Ridiculous nonsense. Again

Edited by DrJack54

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Please don't tell me that's "Integrity Legal" 

6 visa exempt entries via air in a year, especially with extensions and back to back would provide a one year stay.

And 100% would result in refused entry.

Ridiculous nonsense. Again

Those who arrive at the airport without a prior visa will continue to receive a 30-day stamp up to 6 times per calendar year.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand-visa/thailand-visa-latest-update

This kind of info is found at many websites. Still wondering if there is any proof if this isn't the case.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan said:

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand-visa/thailand-visa-latest-update

This kind of info is found at many websites. Still wondering if there is any proof if this isn't the case.

Well the fact that "this kind of info is found at many websites" indicates to me that pigs will fly before any proof to the contrary comes to light!

Just now, OJAS said:

Well the fact that "this kind of info is found at many websites" indicates to me that pigs will fly before any proof to the contrary comes to light!

Yeah, its so hard to find any credible info about this topic and it seems it cannot be asked without getting all emotional about it. The only thing I can say for sure is that I personally doubt the IO at the airport will let it go forever.

24 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan said:

Would be nice to see the actual rule about it as you might have it at hand.

You completely not understand immigration rules.

There is no rule regarding visa exempt entries via air.

There is no stated limit.

And certainly not the ridiculous info from the website you posted earlier. 

That is false information.

Many folk have posted over the years that if Thailand had a definitive rule for visa exempt entries per calendar year then things would be more clear.

In similar way that there exists a rule for visa exempt entries via land and sea.

That being 2 per calendar year max. 

At airports it's up to the io.

The insufficient funds rule does exist and that the reason the io can use. 

8 hours ago, Caldera said:

It shouldn't be a problem to be admitted visa exempt at the Mukdahan border crossing.

They are not known to be interested in your "history", they just check that you haven't had two visa exempt entries by land in the same calendar year yet, as that's the official limit.

Such a 30 day visa exempt entry can then be extended by 30 days, just like a tourist visa entry. Enough time to figure out a longterm solution. 

I thought a land border arrival earned you a 15-day visa exempt entry while airport arrival will get the 30-day version.

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You completely not understand immigration rules.

There is no rule regarding visa exempt entries via air.

There is no stated limit.

And certainly not the ridiculous info from the website you posted earlier. 

That is false information.

Many folk have posted over the years that if Thailand had a definitive rule for visa exempt entries per calendar year then things would be more clear.

In similar way that there exists a rule for visa exempt entries via land and sea.

That being 2 per calendar year max. 

At airports it's up to the io.

The insufficient funds rule does exist and that the reason the io can use. 

You were making the claims though without any proof whatsoever. It's good that you agree now that there are no stated rules regarding how many entries and that the IOs tend to make the rules up on case to case basis!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I thought a land border arrival earned you a 15-day visa exempt entry while airport arrival will get the 30-day version.

Ancient history.

30 days visa exempt entry at land borders. 

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

How 'ancient' precisely?

I'm 66 and consider that to be ancient.

Here is post from ubonjoe in 2019.

He doesn't state when change occurred and I cannot recall.

"It has been 30 days at land border crossings for a few years now.

They made it 30 days for everybody when the rule went into effect that limits them to 2 per calendar year at border crossings".

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

That limit has only been applied (without additional factors) in the last couple of months. There has been a marked increase in the risk of denied tourist visa applications recently, to the point where the most respected visa run company organising trips to Savannakhet will no longer accept those planning to apply for tourist visas.

Interesting.

I wonder what the perogitive for that is? 

3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Interesting.

I wonder what the perogitive for that is? 

If you mean the reason, I have a theory. The hordes of applicants for tourist visas was completely overwhelming the consulate on days when visa run groups arrived. They needed some way to deter those groups from using Savannakhet or (like Penang) implement a limit on the number of applicants they would process per day. They decided applying stricter requirements would swiftly lead to a reduction in the number of those applying, without negatively affecting obvious tourists.

• Like 2

A little bit of history. From 2015 to 2016 I lived in Thailand on 5 SETV from Vientiane all extended plus 4 land crossings to Malaysia all extended, everything done using an agent, so almost 2 years. I reckon there were around 200 people per trip and  3 trips per week, with a lot working in Thailand. First trip we did not even have to go to the embassy. Last trip we were treated as normal applicants. So even then they were tightening the rules. When I posted that embassies were going to have to change the rules, I was laughed out of TVF.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, stratocaster said:

When I posted that embassies were going to have to change the rules, I was laughed out of TVF.

I remember this. There were many who said that the Thai embassy in Vientiane was making so much money from repeated tourist visa applicants that they would never impose limits.

I think the original poster wrote that he would try the land entry today. I hope he will come back to the topic and tell us what happened. My guess is there is about a 50-60 percent chance that he WILL be accepted visa exempt. If he came by air, his chances would be higher. 

I think we can all agree that the tourist visa requirements in the region have gotten tougher over the past 5 years or so, and the chances of getting your application rejected after 2-3 successful back to back visas have increased. 

As for visa exempt, it is really not clear, it seems. It seems to be very much up to the Thai immigration officer. But after doing 3 back to back visa exempts, I think one runs a big risk of denial of entry, even by air, on the fourth one. I think even a third back to back one might be risky.

My advice, if you wanna take that risk, would be to have a certain amount of cash with you (maybe 20,000 baht) or another proof of funds, plus an airline ticket back home, plus some kind of accommodation document. Having these MIGHT help if they initially seem to be denying you an entry. However, they might not. So, it is a risk after all. 

12 hours ago, JemJem said:

I think the original poster wrote that he would try the land entry today. I hope he will come back to the topic and tell us what happened. My guess is there is about a 50-60 percent chance that he WILL be accepted visa exempt. If he came by air, his chances would be higher. 

I think we can all agree that the tourist visa requirements in the region have gotten tougher over the past 5 years or so, and the chances of getting your application rejected after 2-3 successful back to back visas have increased. 

As for visa exempt, it is really not clear, it seems. It seems to be very much up to the Thai immigration officer. But after doing 3 back to back visa exempts, I think one runs a big risk of denial of entry, even by air, on the fourth one. I think even a third back to back one might be risky.

My advice, if you wanna take that risk, would be to have a certain amount of cash with you (maybe 20,000 baht) or another proof of funds, plus an airline ticket back home, plus some kind of accommodation document. Having these MIGHT help if they initially seem to be denying you an entry. However, they might not. So, it is a risk after all. 

For the last several years, long stay tourists have had a much better chance of entering visa exempt by land without any problem (as long as they stay within the two per calendar year restriction) than by air. The only major exception is that entering via the Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing involves high risk.

13 hours ago, JemJem said:

That's a nonsensical claim. There haven't been any reports of denied visa exempt entries at the Mukdahan land border that I can think of, while flying in visa exempt with such an extensive history would be risky.