Phuket sees Covid-19 surge, lax prevention and booster shot issues

webfact

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The number of hospitalisations due to pneumonia and Covid-19 related fatalities have also increased compared to the February to March period, Bangkok Post reported.

so is this thread about covid infections in phuket or pneumonia ? very different things. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, ICU Kid said:

Oh OK Thanks.  How often do you have to take them?

I guess it would add up if you have to take them all the time and don't have a boss to pay for them.  Is there any other way to tell the difference?

The nasal swab appears to work better than the saliva test, also. A couple of co-workers were infected last week - the saliva tests were showing negtive, but positive after a nasal swab a little while afterwards. One worker appeared to have developed symptoms only a few hours after suspected exposure to someone else who had tested positive. Incubation period seems very short and symptoms come on fast. They tested negtive 5-6 days later. Both had quite different symptoms though....just FYI. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, stoner said:

so is this thread about covid infections in phuket or pneumonia ? very different things. 

"Yes, you can get pneumonia when infected with COVID-19. The virus that causes COVID-19 can infect your lungs, causing pneumonia."

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/24002-covid-pneumonia#:~:text=Yes%2C you can get pneumonia,this is called a superinfection).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

"Yes, you can get pneumonia when infected with COVID-19. The virus that causes COVID-19 can infect your lungs, causing pneumonia."

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/24002-covid-pneumonia#:~:text=Yes%2C you can get pneumonia,this is called a superinfection).

good thing the headline was talking about covid then eh. 

3 hours ago, ICU Kid said:

Oh OK, so no way to tell if it's a normal cold or covid without a 49 baht test.

Should have bought shares in the test makers!

why ?  would that be cheaper than 49 baht? would it confirm infection too  ?  why even bother if you have not been out?

Edited by Bday Prang

6 hours ago, ICU Kid said:

Do people still get normal colds & flus or is it ALL covid now?

And, how can we tell the difference?

I don't mind a cold or flu but have heard bad things about covid - I don't think I've had it though tbh but then again, I haven't been out of my apartment since it all kicked off. 

Do you have a health problem that stops you leaving your apartment ? That’s three years ? 

1 hour ago, stoner said:

good thing the headline was talking about covid then eh. 

Yes, since having COVID-19 can lead to getting pneumonia. A major reason for the huge influx of hospitalizations this and last month.

Even young hipsters like yourself can and have been hospitalized with complications from COVID-19 resulting in pneumonia. 

Edited by MrJ2U

Oh OK, so no way to tell if it's a normal cold or covid without a 49 baht test.

Should have bought shares in the test makers!

Well, during the big epidemic, having the vaccination wasn’t forced , your choice. Many who didn’t, a lot died, or ended up in hospital, sometimes for months with lasting problems. That’s where the test comes in. If you are worried or have a doubt, do a test, at home cheap enough or through a test center. You have to think of other people who might have very serious consequences if you infect them. Elderly parents and sick people run risks. I always tested myself before flying, or visiting a friend with cancer, this is respect and love. If I go into crowded stores/ malls now, I usually wear a mask. Hospitals and doctors also wear masks all the time here in EU. 
Did you miss out on this because of being housebound ? 

6 hours ago, Mattd said:

And there!

Here’s another clue, nobody ever said a vaccine would stop you getting Covid. Even the hard of learning really ought to know that vaccines for anything don’t stop you getting the illness.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ICU Kid said:

Oh OK Thanks.  How often do you have to take them?

I guess it would add up if you have to take them all the time and don't have a boss to pay for them.  Is there any other way to tell the difference?

You only take the test if you have the symptoms.  Having COVID is much worse than the sniffles.

Or don't take a test and save 49 baht.  Most people don't bother,  regular Thais can't afford to take a week off waiting for a negative test.

I took a few tests last month because I didn't want my wifes elderly mother or our young children to get Covid.  Ended up staying in a hotel room for the week until I tested negative. 

Nice little break. 

Edited by MrJ2U

43 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Even young hipsters like yourself can and have been hospitalized with complications from COVID-19 resulting in pneumonia.

good thing that daily around the world this is becoming less and less of an issue. i think we can all agree the worst of covid was over a long long time ago. yes it is still around. yes people are still getting sick. yes people are dying.

however it is far far less than before and the numbers are clear as day on that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Having COVID is much worse than the sniffles.

So, if it's much worse than the sniffles do we really still need the 49 baht test ?

I guess there's a point where the cold ends and the covid begins

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Spock said:

It's not always mild. I had a really nasty bout of it about 2 months ago, three weeks after my 5th vaccine.

I suppose if you have a weak immune system and are old, you would handle it worse than most, that said, I know guys in their 70's who had the 2nd strain and struggled, but this one is mild, having had it twice.

But like I said, immune system and age can effect people differently, like the flu/cold and now Covid, but let's not forget Pneumonia, etc etc etc.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I suppose if you have a weak immune system and are old, you would handle it worse than most, that said, I know guys in their 70's who had the 2nd strain and struggled, but this one is mild, having had it twice.

But like I said, immune system and age can effect people differently, like the flu/cold and now Covid, but let's not forget Pneumonia, etc etc etc.

I have a strong immune system and am 69 - never used to get colds or flu. Also know of two people significantly older who suffered only very mild symptoms. The variant you catch should determine the major part of covid's severity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Spock said:

I have a strong immune system and am 69 - never used to get colds or flu. Also know of two people significantly older who suffered only very mild symptoms. The variant you catch should determine the major part of covid's severity.

I am close to your age, twice Covid symptoms mild, I have had the flu in my 30's which put me in bed for 4 days, again in my late 40's.

Since my 60's I take vitamins C, D3 & Zinc Daily, and had my D3 checked through a blood test which showed it was close to the upper level, whether these have anything to do with it, I don't know.

I have also been vaxed 3 times, that is enough for me, because I have read that with each vax, it does weaken the immune system, now that could be BS, I don't know, but I am now looking at getting my annual Flu shot just to tie up loose ends.

The above said, if you don't take the above, maybe you should consider them. 

1 minute ago, alanrchase said:

I've read the whole article and can't find the panic mongering. There is some information about an increase in covid hospitalizations, a suggestion that people may wish to have a booster and an assurance that it is not a strain on hospitals. Why do you think the article will cause panic? 

For what it's worth, the covid infection rate rapidly increased in Australia in the last weeks too. Virtually no one wears masks there.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

So, if it's much worse than the sniffles do we really still need the 49 baht test ?

I guess there's a point where the cold ends and the covid begins

Once you get it you almost know.

I've had COVID-19 twice. The second time I knew.  It's really bad headache and incredible fatigue.

I took a test because I didn't want to come and spread to my youngest child and elderly family members who are most at risk if I was positive. 

If you are just a single guy in Pattaya with no cares you'll probably just think you've got a really bad hangover mixed with a touch of food poisoning. 

• Like 1

The entire report/claim in the Outlook India article hangs on one sentence relating to a claim made more than a year ago by an official with the European Medicines Agency, which was reported and later corrected by that official.

From the Outlook India article:

"As per a statement made by the European Medicine Authority, repeated vaccines may weaken the body's immune response system to fight Covid-19."

From the Fact Check article I cited above:

"“Despite what some people have incorrectly reported, Dr Cavaleri has never said or implied that the repeated administration of boosters would weaken the immune system in any way,” an EMA spokesperson told us in an email. “What he said is that repeated administration of boosters might lead to the immune response to the vaccine [booster] being lower, which means the vaccines [boosters] could become less effective.”

Cavaleri clarified his comments in a Jan. 18 briefing, when he said repeated boosters with short intervals “might reduce the level of antibodies that can be produced at each administration, as our immune system needs a certain amount of time to mature the response to the antigens it is presented with. So, potentially making the vaccination a little bit less efficient over time.”

https://www.factcheck.org/2022/02/scicheck-covid-19-booster-enhances-protection-contrary-to-immune-fatigue-claims/

The claim that vaccines weaken the immune system was mis-reported at the outset and later corrected and clarified by the official involved.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

"“Despite what some people have incorrectly reported, Dr Cavaleri has never said or implied that the repeated administration of boosters would weaken the immune system in any way,” an EMA spokesperson told us in an email. “What he said is that repeated administration of boosters might lead to the immune response to the vaccine [booster] being lower, which means the vaccines [boosters] could become less effective.”

Same same, moving on thanks.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

After 3 boosters, still caught covid.  There is a clue there too!

Unfortunately for you, you're not part of the "most people".

I sincerely hope you're fully recovered, but the fact remains that most vaccinated people, if they catch Covid, suffer less than if they were unvaccinated. I obviously don't know if that's true in your case, but then, neither do you. 

Sadly there will always be a few for whom vaccinations are less effective, they should possibly view themselves as vulnerable. Indeed, there are a (very) few for whom "regular 'flu" is a serious condition but we cannot keep deferring a return to normality to accommodate everyone.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

If you are just a single guy in Pattaya with no cares you'll probably just think you've got a really bad hangover mixed with a touch of food poisoning. 

If only I was!  but you're probably right - a cold can feel a bit like a hangover.

But with the food poisoning symptoms bit, did covid give you the squits as well? 

• Haha 1