The demise of the village ATM.

31 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Depends where you live / work?

You implied that it would take 7 minutes to walk to the nearest bank or ATM from Pantip Plaza.  Since there are at least four banks with ATM's less than 500m from Pantip it would seem that you are a slow walker!

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Yes I am, I'm 78 years old, I use a wheeler walker to go everywhere.

Then why did you not say that in your first post rather than imply there were no banks/ATMs in NORMAL walking distance of 7mins.

A disingenuous post to push a tinfoil financial agenda!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is probably more of an issue of SCB in cost cutting mode than a trend across the Thai banking industry. 

For example, SCB is the only major Thai bank to have closed their branch in the large government building where the CW immigration office is. Meanwhile, there are close to 10 bank branches on that floor, including many banks smaller than SCB. And I think SCB closed that branch 3-4 years ago. So this cost cutting policy has been going on for a while. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Hokeus said:

This is probably more of an issue of SCB in cost cutting mode than a trend across the Thai banking industry. 

For example, SCB is the only major Thai bank to have closed their branch in the large government building where the CW immigration office is. Meanwhile, there are close to 10 bank branches on that floor, including many banks smaller than SCB. And I think SCB closed that branch 3-4 years ago. So this cost cutting policy has been going on for a while. 

Agree. In my small town we only have one branch of one bank, that being SCB. Recently, they displayed posters about not accepting payment of bills 'over the counter'. Outside, they have an ATM, passbook update machine and cash deposit machine. Possibly, they may instal a virtual telling machine also, then everything is covered and the branch could be closed. However, it is always busy. All banks have branches in our nearest larger town, only 11 km distant.  

On 6/1/2023 at 12:34 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Genuine question, how did you determine that, did SCB confirm it?   I understood that (non-bank) premises had to pay the banks for ATMs to be installed.

Service by SCB now becoming a thing of the past, I think they should change their management and put us first not the bottom line. Sure the bottom line is important but the way they are closing branches, removing ATM's stopping SCB easy net banking, they will just drive people to other banks that are more "people" orientated. After 20 years +, with SCB I am ready to move. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, kennw said:

way they are closing branches, removing ATM's

Interesting...going by the actual figures that you have, how many branches have they closed compared with how many new branches they have opened?  How many ATMs have been removed out of how many machines in operation?

21 hours ago, RocketDog said:

After 24 days I'm still waiting for the demise of this topic.

Although, I must admit this very subject hit me (in the back of the head) this past wednesday.  I drove over to Cambodia border, stopping for fuel at a PPT station with a 7/11. I realized how low my funds were and asked about an ATM machine. The answer; no have. The bank is down the street...

I thought about this thread and here it is on a Saturday. Thanks @Crossy (I sure am glad Kasikorn have a dedicated ATM kiosk on Lamlukka 71 near our home, because the SCB ATM at 7/11 is gone now)

• Thanks 1

When a bank starts pulling out ATMs in high traffic areas it’s definitely an inconvenience. Yes, so many transactions are now done via digital payment platforms and via online banking apps, but there are times we still need some cash and SCB has definitely made it more difficult if you bank with them. Luckily you can still use other bank ATMs so that fills in the gaps. 

I’ve noticed in one major area though that SCB used to have an ATM at the 7-11 next to the BTS station, then another one up on the BTS platform itself, a third one on the other side of the road in the shopping center next to the BTS station, and a fourth one inside the super market within the shopping center. Now 3 out of the 4 SCB ATMs are gone in this location and only the one at the 7-11 remains. Perhaps that one will eventually go too. And this is a highly foot trafficked area. I guess the real message is that many people don’t really need access to physical cash anymore. 

I don’t use much cash anyway, I’m practically all digital since 2020, so not really an issue for me, but I’ve started withdrawing larger cash sums now from the ATM and keeping a bit of cash on hand. Then the cash usually lasts me quite a while and I rarely ever need an ATM anymore. Adaptation. 

On 6/24/2023 at 12:59 PM, Hokeus said:

Reality is that all Thai banks are now following the global trend: 

- Push customers to internet banking and banking aps.

- Massively reduce the need for hard cash, therefore ATMs and over the counter banking not needed so much, therefore not so many branches needed / close branches.

- Make big improvements in telephone banking, and strogly encourage telephone banking.

- Increase debit card usage (touch the merchants reader).

- Increase QR code payments.

- As above, exactly what's happening in Australia (well advanced as per above, rare to see cash)) and in many countries.

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2023 at 2:15 PM, scottiejohn said:

Then why did you not say that in your first post rather than imply there were no banks/ATMs in NORMAL walking distance of 7mins.

A disingenuous post to push a tinfoil financial agenda!

You need a hobby.

20 minutes ago, scorecard said:

You need a hobby.

You need to think about the implications of statements you make on a public forum have on others!

Without stating that you had a mobility restriction you implied that it would take 7 minutes to travel what in reality takes 3 minutes and is 250m from Pantip to the nearest ATM at Krung Thai Bank!

Statements like yours can make people shop at other locations because of your misinformation.

bank.jpg.e6ac3f5e261abc91ed78f6845605aadb.jpg

Edited by scottiejohn
Map added

• 3 months later...

Is there a way to use prompt pay or any other cashless qr service (or other) without having a thai bank account? Credit cards tend to be rarely accepted in the smaller shops. I could top up via wise or revolut in THB.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, stat said:

Is there a way to use prompt pay or any other cashless qr service (or other) without having a thai bank account? Credit cards tend to be rarely accepted in the smaller shops. I could top up via wise or revolut in THB.

Thanks!

I don't think so. 99.9% sure you need a Thai bank account. You could try True Money, maybe that can be topped up from abroad (I have no idea)?