The demise of the village ATM.

5 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

That's your choice of course. For many people the option to load all their cards into their mobile wallet so that they can then forget about carrying individual cards, reducing the risk of accidentally damaging them or having them skimmed or pickpocketed is attractive. Last time I was in UK travelling by bus, very few passengers paid cash to the driver. I can't actually recall anyone tapping with a card, invariably they used their mobile 'phones. 

As a point of order, if you were in London, TfL no longer accept cash. Card, phone or some sort of pass only.

We old gits are lucky 'cos it's free! ????

Edited by VBF
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, VBF said:

As a point of order, if you were in London, TfL no longer accept cash. Card, phone or some sort of pass only.

We old gits are lucky 'cos it's free! ????

Thanks for that. I'm going to Manchester again next week. I just checked and cash is still accepted. Who knows for how much longer!

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 5:27 PM, treetops said:

That's fine if they're on a printed card, but the ones on the till display won't be functioning without power.

That's kind of moot, isn't it, since the till wouldn't work at all, so no way to register the sale, even if paying with cash.

I just checked my account....  No cash withdrawals in the last 6 months (in Thailand / Bangkok). 

The last withdrawal I made was 10,000 baht before Christmas. 

I still have over 4000 baht in cash in my wallet...

I spend less than 1000 baht a month in 'actual' cash such is the prevalence and ease of cashless payments. 

Obviously mileage differs... 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, nrasmussen said:

That's kind of moot, isn't it, since the till wouldn't work at all, so no way to register the sale, even if paying with cash.

Way back in the thread it was claimed that power going down wouldn't affect paying with your phone which was obvious nonsense in many cases.  A calculator instead of the till and hard cash would work fine.

Big C opposite Zeer Rangsit has lost a Kasikorn ATM plus their mini branch along with 2 other bank branches (I think BB and SCB).

The Big C superstore used to be thriving years ago but one day last week I saw perhaps 10 shoppers and an Indian family of 4 eating at the inside-KFC branch there. I guess the closed banks aren't helping anymore to attract customers.

A newly placed Kasikorn ATM appeared a few days ago at the local market. Maybe some are being relocated to busier locations.

On 6/1/2023 at 2:51 PM, herfiehandbag said:

Now I am a complete numpty (widespread howls of agreement), so how does this paying by QR on your mobile phone work?

I presume that somehow the QR code links to the vendors bank and allows you to transfer money to their account.

Since I bank with Krungthai, and their new IMG_20211204_201859.jpg.9ee8a7011965c5b97c74943ee44731cc.jpgapp seemingly is not available to foreigners (the last two visits to my branch to sign up have met with"sorry, cannot!" although I haven't tried for a couple of months) it seems to be a route not open to me

I had  Krungthai account for almost two decades and never had problems.  Sadly, I quit using it a few years ago when they became quite unfriendly towards Farang.  

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 5:46 PM, herfiehandbag said:

I downloaded the app.

I tried to load my information.

It told me that it was unable to verify my passport no. 

It told me to go to a branch to get it sorted.

I will do so next week. No doubt the branch will tell me, for the umpteenth time, that they can do nothing.

I have been trying to do this since the new year. I am bored with going to the branches, which are 27 Kms away from where I live.

They are <deleted> useless.

Just a thought, did you open the A/C with a previous Passport? If so, you may find inserting the old passport number will work?

• Like 1

Much prefer cash so disappearing ATMs are a pain. Not sure about the cashless payment apps. Every time I read the news about money disappearing from an account I get put off.

Crossy, It goes further and further, in my home country 75% of atm machines have disappeared from the streets under the guise of too much vandalism, but it is to control the population, soon all transactions over 100 euros will be tracked/controlled, can you imagine, all thanks to that damned eu

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Crossy, It goes further and further, in my home country 75% of atm machines have disappeared from the streets under the guise of too much vandalism, but it is to control the population, soon all transactions over 100 euros will be tracked/controlled, can you imagine, all thanks to that damned eu

That's rather a conspiratorial view @Peterphuket.

Here in UK lots of ATMs are disappearing for sure, and some are because of vandalism but many were not being used enough to justify their existence - they cost to maintain, keep filled up etc.

That's partly because many people here are CHOOSING e-payments over cash - I've recently put Google Pay on my phone - it gets me through the supermarket far quicker especially when I use the shop's self-scanning device, which ALSO gets me points and cheaper prices. Win, win, win!

Sure, I PREFER to use cash for small amounts but won't be heartbroken if I cannot, and I do agree that we should have a CHOICE.

As for being tracked, well every time you use your card in an ATM, you're tracked - lots of them have cameras nearby, but the bottom line is that for all the transactions in the world, the authorities don't have time or resource to bother about we little people - they can't even keep up with the criminals! Why in theory, I'm being "tracked" posting this but am I bothered?  

• Confused 1

Yes here in Chaiyaphum ATMs are disappearing slowly. There are now bigger gaps between them. The banks and the Govt. want us  to pay for everything with smart phones. Cheaper for them and bigger profits. However most of the small farming economy runs on cash. They wont be happy if it disappears.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 11:41 AM, topt said:

In Pattaya SCB removed quite a few ATMs from 7/11s some years ago (more than 5) but overall still loads of ATMs around if you are vaguely central as you would expect in a city.

Unfortunately however I see the removal probably increasing but just hope it does not get as bad as the UK. 

Although I read that they are finally starting to try and make sure cash is available -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12130283/Free-ATMs-enshrined-law-following-concerns-bank-branch-closures.html

Personally I use cash for most things here but was an avowed cc user in the UK - mainly for the cash back........

Have banked with SCB for many years, but their lack of consideration and service to it's customers is deplorable. Branches closing, ATM's removed, SCB easy net on computers not available to new clients, Shame on you SCB, time to move to a more considerate bank.  

On 6/1/2023 at 7:26 PM, it is what it is said:

way of the world i'm afraid, and unfortunately often the most needy in society are adversely impacted; the elderly, the disabled, the poor. the uk has a similar problem but is taking steps to support the needy, thailand needs to recognise the problem and take appropriate action

Please tell me what steps the Tory government in the UK have taken to help the needy?

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

From mid-July it's not available to anyone, app only ???? 

image.png.d382fee5a3fdd9496a2d199139c03505.png

Topic running here: - https://aseannow.com/topic/1298082-scb-ending-scb-easy-net-internet-banking/

Not what I needed with my breakfast coffee.  If BBL follows suit may be forced to retire my Nokia 3310 and be tied to those dang USB charge cords with my head in a phone that I can't even hold in my hand trying to get my fingers to activate on a touch screen that I can't see and that tries to ignore me (my fingers seem to be non conductive most of the time).  ????

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 2:50 AM, LukKrueng said:

Yesterday I walked around for about 1 hour looking for a kbank ATM. Passed many 7-11's with no ATM at all or the wrong bank. And that was in Chiang Mai city, night bazaar area...

My Bangkok Bank ATM works in all other ATM as well. Funny yours won't.

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

My Bangkok Bank ATM works in all other ATM as well. Funny yours won't.

If you use more than 4 times there will be an extra charge however - and not sure all operations are available when using other bank atm.

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

If you use more than 4 times there will be an extra charge however - and not sure all operations are available when using other bank atm.

possible about about other operations. My only operation is getting cash, think it's like a 20 thb charge for using wrong ATM.

Way back in the thread I reported SCB had closed both the branch and removed ATMs from my town in northern Nan province. Well bugga me I happened to spy their ATM on the main road but without signage and positioned in such a way and with a security enclosure that makes it almost impossible to spot unless you happen to be looking almost directly at it. I just happened to do so because I was looking for another shop. And it is not shown on Google Maps.

On 6/1/2023 at 1:04 PM, foreverlomsak said:

I'm the same/was the same, will admit don't trust the phone payment idea, don't know how it hangs together. 

SCB will be removing SCB smart next month so by bye that option too. CBDC likely to make matters worse when that clicks in also.

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

From mid-July it's not available to anyone, app only ???? 

image.png.d382fee5a3fdd9496a2d199139c03505.png

Topic running here: - https://aseannow.com/topic/1298082-scb-ending-scb-easy-net-internet-banking/

Thanks for that @Crossy????

I was unaware of that and have now attempted to use the App - so far with little success. My comments on the thread you linked to.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jarse said:

SCB will be removing SCB smart next month so by bye that option too. CBDC likely to make matters worse when that clicks in also.

Does that mean I will need to go and get a new debit/ATM card, or will it still work until it's expiry date.

5 hours ago, BoganInParasite said:

Way back in the thread I reported SCB had closed both the branch and removed ATMs from my town in northern Nan province. Well bugga me I happened to spy their ATM on the main road but without signage and positioned in such a way and with a security enclosure that makes it almost impossible to spot unless you happen to be looking almost directly at it. I just happened to do so because I was looking for another shop. And it is not shown on Google Maps.

Trying to ensure it isn't used much to give them the excuse to say it's underused and remove it.

Let's try a conspiracy theory - it's all organized to make people move to crypto currencies, which just appears and disappears in the ether and you can never get a hold of it to know how much you've got, or not got, as they get revalued every day.