The demise of the village ATM.

1 hour ago, Flying Saucage said:

It's a worldwide move of governments, central banks and big finance to get rid of cash money. The aim is to establish CBDCs, Central Bank Digital Currencies, as soon as possible. Google "Better than cash alliance", in which Thailand is also a member.

If you ask why they do this, the answer is clear and obvious:

Without cash, you will transparent as glass. All your purchases from birth till death will be trackable. Negative interest rates and expiry dates can be applied to your money. And if you are politically too naughty, next time in the supermarket you can't buy anything anymore.

China does this with the e-Yuan already, Russia is working on the e-Rubel and Europe on the e-Euro. 

I pay as much as possible with cash. Keep your freedom, say no to this dire future!

Yikes, we'll all be dead...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Yes, ATM machines disappearing by the minute across Chiang Mai. 

Pantip plaza and nearby zero machines. 

Seven minute walk to nearest bank & ATM. 

Small shops in the malls in CM were cash only but within last 6 months 99% offer QR code payment, some now won't accept cash.

Also disappearing from 7/11 stores. 

I use BOLT taxi, excellent service, cheaper than GRAB, but cash only so I have to check what cash I have every time I go a BIG C etc., mall to be ready to pay BOLT driver.  

According to the Bolt Taxi information I just searched, you can order a ride and pay for it all through their Bolt App...  Your driver(s) could be ripping off the company.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, mosan said:

According to the Bolt Taxi information I just searched, you can order a ride and pay for it all through their Bolt App...  Your driver(s) could be ripping off the company.

Available in some locations only, and Thailand isn't one of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

There was a paper notice (in Thai of course) on the machine (sadly I didn't take a photo) which said that it was closing for "commercial reasons".

The machine was an on-street one in a booth, not associated with a shop. I wonder if the village had to pay for it?

We had 1 ATM Bangkok Bank ATM in the nearest City (45 km round trip). In the 711 they placed it the direct sunlight and it kept breaking down, so they removed it sitting 711 rent too high. Now nearest Bkk Bank is 70 odd Km away.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, treetops said:

Available in some locations only, and Thailand isn't one of them.

Check YouTube...there are several videos on there one about Pattaya using the Bolt App...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I use BOLT taxi, excellent service, cheaper than GRAB, but cash only so I have to check what cash I have every time I go a BIG C etc., mall to be ready to pay BOLT driver.  

Bolt takes credit card I wanted to register my US cards (I have 100+ cards) and tried a few of them and were rejected (4 of them). Has somebody successfully registered their US credit cards for BOLT?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mosan said:

Check YouTube...there are several videos on there one about Pattaya using the Bolt App...

Yes, I used one this this morning but it was cash only which was the point I was replying too where it was claimed you could book and pay through the app.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, treetops said:

Yes, I used one this this morning but it was cash only which was the point I was replying too where it was claimed you could book and pay through the app.

I use BOLT often in CM, asked several times when QR code payment  will be available.

answer every time  'QR code is coming but not sure when'.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Bolt takes credit card I wanted to register my US cards (I have 100+ cards) and tried a few of them and were rejected (4 of them). Has somebody successfully registered their US credit cards for BOLT?

I downloaded and use Bolt in Thailand.  There is no other option available on the payment screen except cash.  If you've downloaded or used it elsewhere where cards are accepted then maybe you have the option, but as you progress you'll have seen it doesn't work.

909635209_boltpayment.png.b0ab03665bdf7eedb6c8b4ba1f040aa6.png

• Like 1

"Deutch marks or dollars
American Express will do nicely, thank you
Let me loosen up your collar
Tell me, do you want to see me do the shimmy again?"

Private Dancer - Tina Turner,  sadly missed ???? 

Ken Bruce did ask where she swiped the AmEx :whistling:

• Thumbs Up 2

34 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Cash never rules. It is just a cliche. Credit cards rule. Shall I post all the advantages of using a credit cards (not debit cards or scan)? Nobody could give me one advantage of using cash except for a dystopian future where government will track your spending. 

In Thailand it has often been a reduced price paying cash, and still is for some things - card use would be a higher price.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Have several farang friends using Krung Thai banking app on their phones (Bkk, CM, Pitsanalook). Try a different branch.

Once set up (super easy) if makes payments very quick and easy.

Yes I am an old codger and didn't want to go to QR paying. Once set up I loved it. Hardest part was getting a bank to open me an account. Had to go to immigration to get a letter for the bank to open me an account. Blood suckers at immigration charged me 500 Baht for the letter.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, mosan said:

You don't go into a branch to get the app. You go to the Google Play or Apple App store on your phone and download the app. Enter your account details and you're in...

I downloaded the app.

I tried to load my information.

It told me that it was unable to verify my passport no. 

It told me to go to a branch to get it sorted.

I will do so next week. No doubt the branch will tell me, for the umpteenth time, that they can do nothing.

I have been trying to do this since the new year. I am bored with going to the branches, which are 27 Kms away from where I live.

They are <deleted> useless.

Edited by herfiehandbag

2 hours ago, mosan said:

You don't go into a branch to get the app. You go to the Google Play or Apple App store on your phone and download the app. Enter your account details and you're in...

Except for some reason Google has banned me from the internet on my phone.

I will admit that it is not usually connected but when necessary ? it will not let me in.

Just love the kid's world as they do not know if there is a problem, and would not know how to fix it.

18 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Except where there is no electricity.

Just need cellphone coverage, which usually works even during blackouts.

By the way, how would you obtain cash if there's no electricity?

Edited by nrasmussen
Added question
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mosan said:

I have been locked out from google play since my computer decided to re-start itself and my old email account, I'm locked out from all apps since. 

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

In Thailand it has often been a reduced price paying cash, and still is for some things - card use would be a higher price.

Not even 7/11s have dual prices for cash and credit cards. Some vendors in Tucom wanted cash but as soon as I told them thank you I will look for a vendor who will accept my cards and lo and behold they also want my business using cards. Some bars do charge 5%. But I also get 5% cash back in restaurant and bars. So it was a wash. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, topt said:

If I use my UK cards it costs me money - circa 2.5% foreign transaction fee......

Caddie fees at many golf courses have to be paid in cash even if you pay the rest on a card - no cash no play :biggrin:

Try tipping a caddie with a credit card............

That's just off the top of my head

I have a dozen or more cards with no international transaction fees. I said whenever it's possible it means if I have a choice. If not, I will pay cash if I happen to carry but that situation has hardly occurred in the US or Europe but it can happen in Thailand. I then go for scan (no advantage except avoiding a trip to ATM and better bookkeeping).

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Have several farang friends using Krung Thai banking app on their phones (Bkk, CM, Phitsanulok). Try a different branch.

Once set up (super easy) if makes payments very quick and easy.

I mostly use cash from the KBank ATM in the big village some 6 km away. We have lived out here for 19 years and the nearest ATM (s plural now) are in the big village) along with KBank which is still the only bank around unless we go to the amphur village 14 km away, or to Kamphaeng Phet 65 km away.

8 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Not even 7/11s have dual prices for cash and credit cards. Some vendors in Tucom wanted cash but as soon as I told them thank you I will look for a vendor who will accept my cards and lo and behold they also want my business using cards. Some bars do charge 5%. But I also get 5% cash back in restaurant and bars. So it was a wash. 

Was not talking major card places - they have no choice - but those that often deal in cash will often charge more for cards.  This was most apparent to me with soi travel agents (which suspect many are actually money launderers and could care less about selling tickets).