The demise of the village ATM.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

SCB determined that it was not economical to maintain the service.

Genuine question, how did you determine that, did SCB confirm it?   I understood that (non-bank) premises had to pay the banks for ATMs to be installed.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

I'm the same/was the same, will admit don't trust the phone payment idea, don't know how it hangs together. 

I didn't either. Until my Mrs got some QR codes printed and laminated and stuck on the walls in her shop. Apparently customers were asking for an alternative to paying cash. It's a quick way for the customer to enter her bank account details into their mobile banking APP. Some insist that she takes a photo of the completed transaction off their mobile.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here in Chiang Mai Bangkok Bank has closed their mini branches at the original BigC and what was Tesco Lotus, Hangdong Rd, now called Lotus's (what's with the superfluous 's?). Luckily there are ATMs if you know where to look.

A few years back we printed paper bills for our residential customers, who all paid with cash. Now we upload web-based bills and send a link via LINE with only the tuk-tuk driver paying with cash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually ATM robbery has become a rather large issue over the last few years and believe many not located at banks or 24 hour establishments have made the decision to remove.  Not only a cost in cash but a cost in machine as they are often destroyed.  Of course this has been even more as many smaller branch banks also closed during pandemic.  But in turn more people have turned to phone/QR code and such so no longer require the cash machine for either cash or banking transactions.  Expect keeping the machines supplied/monitored/protected is an expense banks would prefer to eliminate.  

Excellent points. Plus, although there is now such a thing as contactless cash withdrawals using your mobile phone, some people will continue to use their cards perpetuating the risk of reading PIN's over their shoulder and card cloning. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NotEinstein said:

Here in Chiang Mai Bangkok Bank has closed their mini branches at the original BigC and what was Tesco Lotus, Hangdong Rd, now called Lotus's (what's with the superfluous 's?). Luckily there are ATMs if you know where to look.

A few years back we printed paper bills for our residential customers, who all paid with cash. Now we upload web-based bills and send a link via LINE with only the tuk-tuk driver paying with cash.

LINE?  What's that?  Some of us are zombies without a phone.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Also in Bangkok, in the middle of Sukhumvit, fewer ATM and fewer bank branches.

Obviously it's nice for us to have lots of ATMs from different banks, but I was wondering since some time if those ATMs can be profitable. I guess they cost at least a couple of 100,000 THB each, plus service, maintenance, etc. How often do people have to use them so that the bank brakes even?

Latest since Covid people do a lot more online transactions. And with the apps many things can be done which required a bank visit some time ago.

I guess the banks have to safe money or they will go bankrupt. 

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

LINE?  What's that?  Some of us are zombies without a phone.

Our residence is low-so and cheap, so, full, but with younger Thais that would die without a smart phone in their hot and sweaty.....

• Like 1

Now I am a complete numpty (widespread howls of agreement), so how does this paying by QR on your mobile phone work?

I presume that somehow the QR code links to the vendors bank and allows you to transfer money to their account.

Since I bank with Krungthai, and their new IMG_20211204_201859.jpg.9ee8a7011965c5b97c74943ee44731cc.jpgapp seemingly is not available to foreigners (the last two visits to my branch to sign up have met with"sorry, cannot!" although I haven't tried for a couple of months) it seems to be a route not open to me

Yes, ATM machines disappearing by the minute across Chiang Mai. 

Pantip plaza and nearby zero machines. 

Seven minute walk to nearest bank & ATM. 

Small shops in the malls in CM were cash only but within last 6 months 99% offer QR code payment, some now won't accept cash.

Also disappearing from 7/11 stores. 

I use BOLT taxi, excellent service, cheaper than GRAB, but cash only so I have to check what cash I have every time I go a BIG C etc., mall to be ready to pay BOLT driver.  

• Like 1