Free rides on Bangkok’s Yellow Line monorail during June trial

snoop1130

Yellow-Monorail.jpg

The (MRTA) announced that a one-month trial run of the Yellow Line monorail will start on Saturday, June 3, offering free rides for commuters during this period. The decision was made during a meeting between the Department of Rail Transport and Eastern Bangkok Monorail (EBM), the company responsible for the line’s concession.

Staff members working on the Yellow Line will receive briefings today, in preparation for the press launch tomorrow. From Saturday onwards, commuters can enjoy free rides on the Yellow Line between 9am-12pm and 1pm-5pm. If the launch proceeds smoothly, the trial hours will be extended until midnight.

MRTA governor Pakapong Sirikantaramas emphasised that EBM must adhere to the recommendations of a certified, independent engineer to ensure the system meets international standards before the line can begin full operations, reported Bangkok Post.

Spanning 30.4 kilometres, the new monorail connects Lat Phrao in northern Bangkok with Samrong in the eastern part of the city. There are 23 stations along the line. Fares, which were agreed upon in 2016, will range from 14-42 baht. However, these fares will be adjusted based on the consumer price index for the previous three months before the full service begins.

By Mitch Connor

Caption: Photo via Facebook

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/free-rides-on-bangkoks-yellow-line-monorail-during-june-trial

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Living on Lat Phrao near Ratchada we could give a rat's A.. about free rides and 'opening'.  As the disastrous road conditions on Lat Phrao under the BTS line overhead continues to be a traffic misery and nightmare - day and night.   Something has shaken up construction on the road as it's now 'something' instead of absolutely nothing  - for over 3 years.  Nuts!!

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Although Lat Phao Road is still a nightmare to drive it has greatly improved in the last few months and sections have started to open below the train providing a new smooth lane for traffic.  But not everywhere - and looking at the entry/exit areas to stations does still seem less than complete.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Although Lat Phao Road is still a nightmare to drive it has greatly improved in the last few months and sections have started to open below the train providing a new smooth lane for traffic.  But not everywhere - and looking at the entry/exit areas to stations does still seem less than complete.

That's why the initial trial is only Hua Mark to Samrong.

25 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

But no reporting seems to mention that?  

Quite. Anyone confirm or deny?

In any case, I don't believe they can open tomorrow. I was looking at Samrong yesterday and it's totally still a building site. It's been sat there for nearly 2 years awaiting this momentous opening.

Still, the line has already done its job. Envelopes duly trousered; who cares about actually operating it....

• Thanks 1

I recall years ago when the subway first opened. They allowed to ride for free for like the first week or so many days. It was crowded and mostly with people who were riding it back-n-forth just because they never experience anything like it before.

31 minutes ago, isaanistical said:

Quite. Anyone confirm or deny?

In any case, I don't believe they can open tomorrow. I was looking at Samrong yesterday and it's totally still a building site. It's been sat there for nearly 2 years awaiting this momentous opening.

Still, the line has already done its job. Envelopes duly trousered; who cares about actually operating it....

Really? I went past Samrong two weeks ago and it looked finished and was nicely connected to the BTS and probably the closet connection out of all the different connections I have seen.

I drove the whole route from Hua Mark to Samrong recently and all the stations looked good and completely finished with the exception of Hua Mark which has a lot of exterior cosmetic work still to be done, although the actual station has been finished for a long time.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Such a boring comment, really.

It will be operational tomorrow and will operate just as slickly as all the other lines, I am pretty confident of that. So please take your boring, stock TVF negativity, it isn't needed in a thread like this about a positive development.  The continued commuter infrastructure development here is excellent (bar the lack of a common ticketing system which is a disgrace) and to be applauded.

Nonsense.

The link between BTS and the new line (at Samrong) only exists at one end of the former, so you'll have to negotiate smashed pavement as usual to get there from Samrong itself (eg the very popular market), but if you manage that you'll find "construction site" and hoardings that - you suggest - will be miraculously ameliorated in the next 12 hours. Hold your breath.

The development is execrable.  We still await, with no sense of optimism, any common ticketing or real integration as you admit, but the mere fact that this is a 3-year late "development" says enough for me to know why and where the money was spent. I've been here a year or two.

The design of station access along the line is also absurd, expecting any victims (sorry, passengers) to walk and climb long distances at all stops. God help anyone with bags or, even worse, any disabled passengers. Yeah, there's a lift. That paid another envelope. That's how these things work - get used to it or move.

Also, note how popular the existing BTS line is in that area. Still free to ride between Bearing and Kheha and even then it's usually deserted. After Bearing it's a mere 15 baht to On Nut, but locals prefer a bus at 8 baht.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, isaanistical said:

Can't believe this is necessary to argue about, but here goes....

Nonsense.

The link between BTS and the new line (at Samrong) only exists at one end of the former,

So it only connects to the BTS at the end that is next to the BTS. So it isn't connected from the opposite end that isn't near the BTS? Oh no, what an oversight! 

so you'll have to negotiate smashed pavement as usual to get there from Samrong itself (eg the very popular market), but if you manage that you'll find "construction site" and hoardings that - you suggest - will be miraculously ameliorated in the next 12 hours. Hold your breath.

The development is execrable.  We still await, with no sense of optimism, any common ticketing or real integration as you admit, but the mere fact that this is a 3-year late "development" says enough for me to know why and where the money was spent. I've been here a year or two.

I didn't walk it at street level, I drove past, and I said it will open tomorrow. I did not say absolutely everything will be cleared from footpaths, how ridiculous. There are still closed road lanes underneath many parts, they won't be cleared tomorrow. Happy?

It is a soft opening for a trial. If that offends your sensibilities and you want everything pristine the very first day of the soft opening then maybe you shouldn't be in Asia. Or anywhere.

The design of station access along the line is also absurd, expecting any victims (sorry, passengers) to walk and climb long distances at all stops. God help anyone with bags or, even worse, any disabled passengers. Yeah, there's a lift. That paid another envelope. That's how these things work - get used to it or move.

Eh? Get used to it or move? What are you talking about? 

No one has to climb anything, there are lifts at most exits, and also escalators to use. It is infinitely better than the BTS as that didn't have anything when it opened. You took the stairs or lumped it.

Yes, some of the exits are a little far from the station but this is because they bought land to house these away from the road and not clog up the pavements like the BTS does. Again it is an infinitely better design and they have learned from the past. The orange line also uses a similar design on the elevated parts. I think the days of staircases coming down and blocking narrow pavements is over and that is a good thing.

Also, note how popular the existing BTS line is in that area. Still free to ride between Bearing and Kheha and even then it's usually deserted. After Bearing it's a mere 15 baht to On Nut, but locals prefer a bus at 8 baht.

What has that got to with anything at all? Not sure what point you are trying to make.

Again, unbelievable that a positive story has turned in to an argument over petty details, it is sad and ridiculous but sadly typical of this site. If you don't want to use it during the trial period because there is still work ongoing then please don't use it. If you don't want to use it afterwards because you are too dumb to use an escalator or a lift then please don't use it, that's fine.

I have lived here since before there was any mass transit and the developments in the last 10 years especially have been impressive even if the lines are somewhat delayed. How did the Elizabeth Line go? Nearly four years late and £4 billion over budget. (The entire yellow line cost about £0.6 billion).

Bangkok has done well even if there are issues here and there such as a lack of common ticketing and connecting links being built too late for example. But yeah, there are always moaners. 

I'll be on the yellow line tomorrow and I applaud the fact it has been built. Maybe I'll wave at you down below as you shout and moan at the station exits.

old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif

Edited by josephbloggs

Meanwhile: -

The earlier post about the limits of the trial is correct.

Only Hua Mak to Samrong (YL11 - YL23) and 09.00 to 20.00.

No idea when the rest of the line will be available for trial passenger operations ???? 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

But it does.

Thanks - that was not mentioned in OP or 2 other sources I checked before asking.  Would seem a rather important point for a news article inviting people out to try.  

'Spanning 30.4 kilometres, the new monorail connects Lat Phrao in northern Bangkok with Samrong in the eastern part of the city'.

Obviously a bit of spatial disorientation here, as Samrong in Samut Prakan is due south of Lat Phrao.

Maybe they were confused with the Project Name, Eastern Bangkok Monorail (EBM) which obviously refers to running on the eastern side of Bangkok but north to south or perhaps Samrong in Ubon almost 600km away, which is in the east Thailand.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

So it only connects to the BTS at the end that is next to the BTS. So it isn't connected from the opposite end that isn't near the BTS? Oh no, what an oversight! 

I didn't walk it at street level, I drove past, and I said it will open tomorrow. I did not say absolutely everything will be cleared from footpaths, how ridiculous. There are still closed road lanes underneath many parts, they won't be cleared tomorrow. Happy?

It is a soft opening for a trial. If that offends your sensibilities and you want everything pristine the very first day of the soft opening then maybe you shouldn't be in Asia. Or anywhere.

No one has to climb anything, there are lifts at most exits, and also escalators to use. It is infinitely better than the BTS as that didn't have anything when it opened. You took the stairs or lumped it.

Yes, some of the exits are a little far from the station but this is because they bought land to house these away from the road and not clog up the pavements like the BTS does. Again it is an infinitely better design and they have learned from the past. The orange line also uses a similar design on the elevated parts. I think the days of staircases coming down and blocking narrow pavements is over and that is a good thing.

What has that got to with anything at all? Not sure what point you are trying to make.

Again, unbelievable that a positive story has turned in to an argument over petty details, it is sad and ridiculous but sadly typical of this site. If you don't want to use it during the trial period because there is still work ongoing then please don't use it. If you don't want to use it afterwards because you are too dumb to use an escalator or a lift then please don't use it, that's fine.

I have lived here since before there was any mass transit and the developments in the last 10 years especially have been impressive even if the lines are somewhat delayed. How did the Elizabeth Line go? Nearly four years late and £4 billion over budget. (The entire yellow line cost about £0.6 billion).

Bangkok has done well even if there are issues here and there such as a lack of common ticketing and connecting links being built too late for example. But yeah, there are always moaners. 

I'll be on the yellow line tomorrow and I applaud the fact it has been built. Maybe I'll wave at you down below as you shout and moan at the station exits.

'Petty details' is it?   Talk about living in a dream world.   It's a 24 hours a day nightmare unless you fancy sitting in long traffic jams on Lat Phrao, in either direction.   Take 10 baht and ride a bus along Lat Phrao, reduced to two lanes either way for a bird's eye view of the rocks, boulders, idle heavy equipment and strewed parts of metal work that has been there unmolested for over three years.  The new stations overhead are dystopian nightmares of bare metal, a few just within the past week with huge, stark stairways.  A few stretches of cement pavement have just sprung up, disconnected and useless, barricaded from use except the motorbike taxi dodging around the deadlocked traffic.  And last, hail a taxi from someplace like Sukhumvit and give your destination as Lat Phrao....the taxi window snaps shut as they speed off from you.       I have lived here since before they rammed the Yellow Line construction down Lat Phrao, from Ratchada to beyond.  Complimenting the Yellow Line is the definition of putting 'lipstick on a pig'.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

It may be a lot cheaper but the yellow line is a joke compared to the Elizabeth line:

"The Elizabeth line, which in total serves 41 stations running 100km east to west across the city through 42km of new tunnels, includes 10 new central London stations and the upgrading of 31 existing stations."

Whereas the yellow line is just a 30km monorail. The reason it's so cheap is because they built it above ground (using cheap migrant labour) to unleash the ongoing traffic nightmare and eyesore monstrous concrete stations. The pink line is the same and delayed even more.

3 hours ago, LatPhrao said:

'Petty details' is it?   Talk about living in a dream world.   It's a 24 hours a day nightmare unless you fancy sitting in long traffic jams on Lat Phrao, in either direction.   Take 10 baht and ride a bus along Lat Phrao, reduced to two lanes either way for a bird's eye view of the rocks, boulders, idle heavy equipment and strewed parts of metal work that has been there unmolested for over three years.  The new stations overhead are dystopian nightmares of bare metal, a few just within the past week with huge, stark stairways.  A few stretches of cement pavement have just sprung up, disconnected and useless, barricaded from use except the motorbike taxi dodging around the deadlocked traffic.  And last, hail a taxi from someplace like Sukhumvit and give your destination as Lat Phrao....the taxi window snaps shut as they speed off from you.       I have lived here since before they rammed the Yellow Line construction down Lat Phrao, from Ratchada to beyond.  Complimenting the Yellow Line is the definition of putting 'lipstick on a pig'.

Sorry, don't agree. Is it beautiful? No, it is pretty ugly. Is it good that we are getting new electric mass transit lines in areas of the city that are not currently served? Absolutely yes! 

Complaining about the traffic when they are building something as useful as this which will mean you don't need to sit in traffic is ridiculous. I remember the same kind of people complaining about the original BTS as that made traffic horrendous during construction, far worse than this. Are we the better for having the BTS? I don't think you'll find anyone now who says we'd be better without it.

This is the same. And the pink line. And the orange line. And the extensions. And the brown line to come. I'll take the traffic problems for the longer term commuter good.

On 6/3/2023 at 8:48 PM, josephbloggs said:

Sorry, don't agree. Is it beautiful? No, it is pretty ugly. Is it good that we are getting new electric mass transit lines in areas of the city that are not currently served? Absolutely yes! 

Complaining about the traffic when they are building something as useful as this which will mean you don't need to sit in traffic is ridiculous. I remember the same kind of people complaining about the original BTS as that made traffic horrendous during construction, far worse than this. Are we the better for having the BTS? I don't think you'll find anyone now who says we'd be better without it.

This is the same. And the pink line. And the orange line. And the extensions. And the brown line to come. I'll take the traffic problems for the longer term commuter good.

Well, a better countenanced reply.    And do we need the BTS, more lines,  and the MRT - of course and without a doubt.  Car traffic just about anywhere in Bangkok is at disasterously clogged levels, day and night, with no apparent signs of government or business with solutions.  We welcome the Yellow line becoming full service.    That said!  4 years passing of destroying traffic on Lat Phrao and zero efforts to do any fixing of the roads under the overhead lines? Covenient for excess equipment storage?  They really don't give a damn.  And besides the eternal traffic problems there is the incalculable damage to the businesses that line both sides of Lat Phrao. Post Covid some got their doors open again, many have not.   If there is a Lad Phrao  business council or such they should be suing the hell out of those responsible for the BTS Yellow line!   The question now is, even if the Yellow Line opes, full service - is the roadway below cleaned up, cleaned out and in full operation?  555, amaze me please.

10 hours ago, LatPhrao said:

The question now is, even if the Yellow Line opes, full service - is the roadway below cleaned up, cleaned out and in full operation?  555, amaze me please.

Actually last week it seemed about half of the road had been cleared and pot holes fixed and most of that area put back into 3rd lane between Soi 101 and Chok Chai 4 stations.  But until it is all open not of much use as have to return to 2 lanes too often.  But at least there seems to be light at the end of this much delayed project.  But the U turns continue to be a nightmare, with entry points being changed almost weekly.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

I'll be testing the new yellow-line monorail system out today.

I will report back following completion of journey & inspection.

I've used it three times so far. Yesterday from Samrong to Hua Mak at 5pm it was packed.

Still can't understand why it is so bumpy though. The two n00bs I brought with me yesterday also commented on how bumpy it was.