COVID makes comeback in Thailand as booster fatigue leaves door open

webfact

7 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

The dozens of people I know who got the shot were initially convinced that, as with all the other vaccines they had before, they would not contract the illness they were being vaccinated against. This was the prevailing mindset and belief at the time, and the authorities (whose primary concern was to fight "vaccine hesitancy") certainly leaned heavily into it.

What vaccines have been able to do against the COVID virus have changed regularly since the outbreak of the pandemic right up thru today, not because public figures were intentionally misleading, but because the virus has evolved and mutated into new and different forms -- Alpha, Delta, Omicron, etc.

At the very beginning of the pandemic, the research was clear at that time, against the original version of the virus, that the mRNA vaccines had a very high impact in preventing infections. But that didn't last as the pandemic continued and the virus mutated.

Pfizer and BioNTech Conclude Phase 3 Study of COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate, Meeting All Primary Efficacy Endpoints

Wednesday, November 18, 2020

"Primary efficacy analysis demonstrates BNT162b2 to be 95% effective against COVID-19 beginning 28 days after the first dose...
Efficacy was consistent across age, gender, race and ethnicity demographics; observed efficacy in adults over 65 years of age was over 94%"

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The article you quoted is taken from the clip on MSNBC . The fact check link addresses that same clip and quote on MSNBC but I presume you know that and instead deflect.

Here let me add some more for you:

“The issue is that COVID-19 is not the same disease as it was 6 months ago. The delta variant is more contagious and requires higher levels of antibodies for killing it. Therefore, these videos tell only half the story,” Dr Buddy Creech, Associate Professor of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine in Nashville, Tennessee, told Reuters via email when presented with the claims.

What happened six months later is irrelevant.

Walensky pronounced these words and influenced the perceptions and beliefs of the millions of people who watched her at that time.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What vaccines have been able to do against the COVID virus have changed regularly since the outbreak of the pandemic right up thru today, not because public figures were intentionally misleading, but because the virus has evolved and mutated into new and different forms -- Alpha, Delta, Omicron, etc.

At the very beginning of the pandemic, the research was clear at that time, against the original version of the virus, that the mRNA vaccines had a very high impact in preventing infections. But that didn't last as the pandemic continued and the virus mutated.

Pfizer and BioNTech Conclude Phase 3 Study of COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate, Meeting All Primary Efficacy Endpoints

Wednesday, November 18, 2020

"Primary efficacy analysis demonstrates BNT162b2 to be 95% effective against COVID-19 beginning 28 days after the first dose...
Efficacy was consistent across age, gender, race and ethnicity demographics; observed efficacy in adults over 65 years of age was over 94%"

Yes, I know the sales pitch just as well as you do.

3 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

What happened six months later is irrelevant.

Walensky pronounced these words and influenced the perceptions and beliefs of the millions of people who watched her at that time.

It was a tiny blip on what now is a 3-1/2 year long COVID pandemic. If her comments encouraged more people to get vaccinated and thus in reality actually ended up reducing their chances of getting sick from or dying from COVID, thus saving lives, I'll forgive her the momentary, one-off misspeak.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

Just now, Caldera said:

Are the boosters available here even effective against the current variant(s)?

Yes they are, but not as effective as they had been against prior variants.

Just now, Caldera said:

It's probably best to just let it spread to broaden community immunity, most cases are mild anyway. 

No, that isn't "best." Thailand had nearly 3,000 new COVID hospitalizations in the past week, a new weekly high for 2023, and 42 new COVID deaths.

Don't wish for the pandemic here to get any worse than it already is.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thailand counts them as COVID deaths, which under their system, means the death was either caused by COVID or COVID was a contributing factor.

3,000 hospitalisation solely due to covid?

42 died with or from?

If you can differentiate, please provide sources.

In other countries (e.g. UK) ALL deaths BY ANY CAUSE within 28 days of a positive test were counted as 'covid deaths'

Do you have a source saying that covid was a 'contributing factor' in the 42 deaths you cited? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, ICU Kid said:

In other countries (e.g. UK) ALL deaths BY ANY CAUSE within 28 days of a positive test were counted as 'covid deaths'

Thailand doesn't follow the same reporting rules as the UK, nor does the U.S. for that matter. And the UK had different COVID death counting policies among different agencies.

Read again what I wrote above regarding Thailand. It was clear and specific as to what are reflected in Thailand's COVID death statistics, though I don't have a breakdown for the shares of deaths with COVID as the main cause vs. COVID as a contributing cause.

Background on the UK:

"Claims that COVID-19 deaths are lower than reported have been common throughout the pandemic from critics who argue the virus is not as serious as we are being led to believe. In fact, however, researchers have found evidence that overall deaths from COVID-19 have been undercounted, not overcounted, since the start of the pandemic."

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2022/jan/24/youtube-videos/no-death-totals-covid-19-england-have-not-been-ove/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

though I don't have a breakdown for the shares of deaths with COVID as the main cause vs. COVID as a contributing cause.

this would be considered quite helpful and vital information no ? otherwise  assumptions are made. 

Edited by stoner

4 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Good, we have established that the claim "nobody ever stated that the vaccine prevented infection" is false. The CDC director said it. As did Biden in July 2021. The fact that it gets rectified afterwards by the media does not change the fact that he actually said it and was heard by millions.

BIDEN: “You’re not going to get COVID if you have these vaccinations.”

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-business-health-government-and-politics-coronavirus-pandemic-46a270ce0f681caa7e4143e2ae9a0211

The vaccines DO prevent infections, just not 100%. More earlier in the pandemic. Less more recently amid Omicron. That's absolutely true.

As for your quoted comments, you mean to tell me politicians mis-speak?

Really! Surely, it's never happened before. 

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thailand doesn't follow the same reporting rules as the UK, nor does the U.S. for that matter. And the UK had different COVID death counting policies among different agencies.

Read again what I wrote above regarding Thailand. It was clear and specific as to what are reflected in Thailand's COVID death statistics, though I don't have a breakdown for the shares of deaths with COVID as the main cause vs. COVID as a contributing cause.

My point is that you don't seem to have a source stating that Covid was even a CONTRIBUTING factor in those deaths and hospitalisations you're citing.

You're assuming that but that's all

*Do you have a source of should we just take your word for it?*

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, ICU Kid said:

3,000 hospitalisation solely due to covid?

42 died with or from?

If you can differentiate, please provide sources.

Do you have a source saying that covid was a 'contributing factor' in the 42 deaths you cited? 

Reuters Factcheck:

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-data-idUSKBN29J2TH

watch till the end...

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, ICU Kid said:

My point is that you don't seem to have a source stating that Covid was even a CONTRIBUTING factor in those deaths and hospitalisations you're citing.

You're assuming that but that's all

*Do you have a source of should we just take your word for it?*

The source is the Thai Ministry of Public Health, which compiles and reports the COVID deaths and hospitalizations data. If you don't believe them, I'm sure they'd be happy to hear from you.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The vaccines DO prevent infections, just not 100%. More earlier in the pandemic. Less more recently amid Omicron. That's absolutely true.

As for your quoted comments, you mean to tell me politicians mis-speak?

Really! Surely, it's never happened before. 

It was claimed that it had not happened in this case, that claim is false and I rectified it. Context is everything.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thailand counts them as COVID deaths, which under their system, means the death was either caused by COVID or COVID was a contributing factor.

My mum died with some nasty comorbidities. One of them was she was 93. She died when she had a cold. Did the cold kill her? Helped on her way maybe. Just another straw on the camel's back.

Edited by dinsdale

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The source is the Thai Ministry of Public Health, which compiles and reports the COVID deaths and hospitalizations data. If you don't believe them, I'm sure they'd be happy to hear from you.

So in essence, you can provide ZERO links  to confirm your assertions

and we just take your word for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, ICU Kid said:

So in essence, you can provide ZERO links  to confirm your assertions

and we just take your word for it.

No, you take the Thai Ministry of Public Health's word for it, when they count them as "COVID deaths" and "COVID hospitalizations."

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

One member has already taken a holiday. Any more trolling and off topic misinformation posts will be removed and possible warnings issued.

A baiting post also removed.

Topic is:

COVID makes comeback in Thailand as booster fatigue leaves door open

If you can't discuss that then I suggest you move on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The difference is, the unvaccinated folks, overall, get sick and die from COVID at much greater rates than do the vaccinated, as numerous studies have documented, even during the recent Omicron period.

Screenshot_11.jpg.b2d680554dc42fd9ec6b627be151bc8b.jpg

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#rates-by-vaccine-status

The CDC found that in March 2023, adults who had been vaccinated with the newer bivalent vaccines had a 5.3 times lower risk of dying from COVID than the unvaccinated.

Can anyone tell me that this doesn't show the gap between unvaccinated, vaccinated without booster and vaccinated with booster isn't closing? I would like to know your logic. Indeed rates of death according to this for those vaccinated with or without booster seems the same or am I reading this incorrectly.

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The current vaccines REDUCE the risk of you contracting the COVID virus, especially in the months immediately post injection.

And, longer term, also significantly reduce the risk of either getting seriously ill or dying from COVID, compared to those who have been unvaccinated.

I think that he was just teasing you, what you said is pretty much common sense nowadays!