COVID makes comeback in Thailand as booster fatigue leaves door open

webfact

55 minutes ago, JustinCredible said:

Add Khon Kaen to the list.  I have contacted the 3 private hospitals and they do not even consider getting more vaccines. 

On Samui for some months now faring can get boosters no problem, except they are no longer free, (B1390) at the state hospital. This will probably put the cheapskates off getting one hence exacerbating the problem.

48 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The hospital is seeing many new patients now she said, and Grandpa was moved ahead of the que as he needed oxygen. This is in the Sai Mai Area of Bangkok. 

Ryan, if you know...

--Is your inlaw being treated at a government or private hospital in the BKK area?

--and, how difficult (or easy) was it to find a place for him to be admitted as a COVID inpatient?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Ryan, if you know...

--Is your inlaw being treated at a government or private hospital in the BKK area?

--and, how difficult (or easy) was it to find a place for him to be admitted as a COVID inpatient?

John,

The grandfather is at Bhumibol Adulyadej Hospital, and they did have room for him as he was moved into the ICU.  He has Covid related Pneumonia my stepdaughter informed me.  She feels bad because she believes she was the one who brought it home from school.  She went to school feeling fine, was sent home with the rest of her class at the beginning of the day on Tuesday, but by noon was feeling feverish and had a sore throat.  By Wednesday the whole family was down.  Pretty rapid spread.

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

She feels bad because she believes she was the one who brought it home from school.

Thanks Ryan... Sorry to hear that re the inlaws....

And yet, many posters here continue to complain and protest when the issue of COVID vaccinations and/or protection measures for young people like mask wearing in schools are raised.

Your family's situation may be a good illustration of how individuals' behavior not only affects what happens with them, but may also affect what happens with those around them.

COVID isn't just a "me me me" disease. I can do whatever I want without consequence to those around me.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Confused 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

Everyone I work with....everyone I know here got vaxxed AND wore masks....they ALL got Covid at least once. Now, do the vaccines stop transmission? Do the masks? I will let your common sense decide the answer to that question. 

Yours certainly won't.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks Ryan... Sorry to hear that re the inlaws....

And yet, many posters here continue to complain and protest when the issue of COVID vaccinations and/or protection measures for young people like mask wearing in schools are raised.

Your family's situation may be a good illustration of how individuals' behavior not only affects what happens with them, but may also affect what happens with those around them.

COVID isn't just a "me me me" disease. I can do whatever I want without consequence to those around me.

John, they stopped wearing masks a few days before school re-started in there everyday lives.  While the daughter was here with us on the holiday break we only wore masks when we were in areas with crowds.  The father now works as a postal delivery bike rider so he has many contacts during the day, the wife runs a pet grooming salon, and the grandmother and grandfather work as cleaners at the local Talad.  So many points of contact. It is what it is.  This is now the 4th time the stepdaughter has had it, and this time is not as bad as when she was hospitalized for it. 

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, h90 said:

Just in most countries people don't care anymore since every new mutation is more harmless than the previous one (so far)

The Omicron variant BA5 while not as viral as previous mutations, it is more easily infectioness. So it might add to the covid spike. As far as I know, it's vaccine is not available yet in Thailand. It has begun to spread in the US and I got vaccinated for it in the US last month. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

As far as I know, it's vaccine is not available yet in Thailand. It has begun to spread in the US and I got vaccinated for it in the US last month. 

The same vaccines predominantly being used in the U.S. right now are also the same ones being used in Thailand -- the bivalent versions of the Pfizer and Moderna vaxes.

The one difference is... the U.S. lately entirely ceased using the original monovalent versions of the COVID vaccines. Whereas Thailand is continuing to use/offer them, along with the new bivalent versions.