COVID makes comeback in Thailand as booster fatigue leaves door open

webfact

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

I was never locked up during Covid. Were you?

Market was closed, park was closed, restaurants were closed, alcohol sales was prohibited that is pretty close to locked up. In Europe you were not allowed to leave home unless absolute necessary and than can't leave your area.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Caldera said:

Are the boosters available here even effective against the current variant(s)?

It's probably best to just let it spread to broaden community immunity, most cases are mild anyway. 

How many are you okay with people  dying, in order to broaden community immunity?

Except you don't get there, because every infected person is a laboratory for the virus to mutate. And not all of the mutations are going to be milder.

The way to stop the virus is by having fewer people infected.  Duhhh..

Edited by Danderman123
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If I recall right, Thailand seems to have gotten most or all of its stock of bivalent COVID vaccines via donations from South Korea and France....

I don't believe I've seen anything indicating Thailand has, on its own, used its own money to buy stocks of the bivalent vaccines.

Which is probably one reason why they're continuing to use/offer the older monovalent vaccine versions alongside the bivalent ones.

"I don't believe I've seen anything indicating Thailand has, on its own, used its own money to buy stocks of the bivalent vaccines."

The unelected soldiers needed to keep their own personal income stream going.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Caldera said:

Are the boosters available here even effective against the current variant(s)?

It's probably best to just let it spread to broaden community immunity, most cases are mild anyway. 

Where did we hear that before........?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

The virus will not and cannot be stopped. Bit like the common cold and the flu. They are still here and will continue to be as will covid. It's purely up to you if you want to be jabbed with mRNA vaccines and wear a mask for the rest of your life. Even if you do you CAN STILL get covid and spread it. As for "not all of the mutations are going to be milder" can you please support this with some evidence. Crystal ball perhaps?

" As for "not all of the mutations are going to be milder" can you please support this with some evidence. Crystal ball perhaps?"

Antigenic shift/drift, covid goes through this, its the same with flu, some years it can be more virulent. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, rabang said:

I swear in the west covid is not appearing in the news almost at all anymore. Yet in the Bangkok newspaper we can not make links to at this forum there is still a section for it and at least a couple recent (from past month) articles with photos of very small schoolchildren all masked up. Go figure.

Perhaps that's because...

--In Thailand, new COVID hospitalizations are at a year-high level for 2023, more than 400 new per day on average, and have been steadily rising since April.

--Whereas in the U.S. for example, COVID cases, hospitalizations and deaths have been declining pretty steadily for months now.

Some people here seem to have geographic confusion... This is Thailand, not the U.S. or the U.K.  The COVID situation here should be judged on what's occurring here...not in some other countries with entirely different COVID situations.

Back in March when new COVID hospitalizations in Thailand were running 150-170 per week, no one was much talking about COVID here, myself included.

But now, new COVID hospitalizations in  Thailand have steadily risen for the past two months to now nearly 3,000 per week, and people are rightfully talking.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

" As for "not all of the mutations are going to be milder" can you please support this with some evidence. Crystal ball perhaps?"

Antigenic shift/drift, covid goes through this, its the same with flu, some years it can be more virulent. 

Not showing any sign of this with Omicron variant. A new variant would have to emerge. 

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Not showing any sign of this with Omicron variant. A new variant would have to emerge. 

Which is of course very good news the way it has evolved so far, hopefully it will stay that way, but as you mentioned yourself, nobody has a crystal ball

• Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, cmsally said:

It would be interesting to see a study comparing the efficacy of the Covid vaccines compared to that of various dosages of Vitamin D. Vitamin D has been found to lessen the likelihood of catching Covid as well as lessening the symptoms.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphar.2022.836738/full

Reputable studies, and organizations such as the U.S. National Institutes of Health, have found insufficient evidence that Vitamin D actually helps prevent or treats COVID.

Vitamin D doesn't prevent COVID-19, other respiratory infections, studies find

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/vitamin-d-doesnt-prevent-covid-19-other-respiratory-infections-studies-find

AND

"NIH COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines

Although multiple observational cohort studies suggest that people with low vitamin D levels are at increased risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection and worse clinical outcomes after infection (e.g., higher mortality rates), clear evidence that vitamin D supplementation provides protection against infection or improves outcomes in patients with COVID-19 is still lacking.1,2

Recommendation

There is insufficient evidence for the Panel to recommend either for or against the use of vitamin D for the prevention or treatment of COVID-19."

https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/therapies/supplements/vitamin-d/

As the NIH document above explains, the various studies that have found benefit from Vitamin D tend to have been poorly done or have other limitations that make their findings suspect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

The time for the general public to be concerned, and take any special measures in relation to covid has passed.

The time is greater now than any time thus far in 2023:

Thailand weekly new COVID hospitalizations and deaths:

March 26 to April 1:

1299076318_13THWeeklyCOVIDreport20230326to04-01.jpg.1d7d754f8b0f02b00e485595bf758c0b.jpg

May 21 to 27:

1708660860_19THWeeklyCOVIDreport202305-21to05-27.thumb.jpg.f4c1ece5a0d4b6f411f911f38c5c2aa0.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/pfbid02tXUeEnaX7KySm7i7jAyPCUYaMemoQEPccFeAgjfANwb55nUWFzRphFuHWPp1o99Cl

-- New weekly COVID hospitalizations in Thailand (2,970) are at the highest level thus far for 2023.

--COVID patients hospitalized in serious condition (425) are at the highest level thus far for 2023.

--COVID hospitalized patients requiring intubation in order to breathe (253) are at the highest level thus far for 2023.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Vaccination reduces your chances of getting infected. Vaccination reduces the severity of your infection. Vaccination reduces transmission of the virus by infected persons.

it doesn't reduce your chances of Covid. Me and my partner both vaccinated with Astra and after that 2x full vaccination with Moderna and we both got 3 times Covid after the vaccinations...Indeed not serious illness, but I am wondering if we got Covid if we weren't vaccinated.. I believe we were not...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

Just alarmist language.

That doesn't mean the public should be concerned in the slightest. 

These numbers are tiny in a population of over 70M , and mostly elderly and with co morbidities. There are always a lot of people on hospital due to respiratory infections. 

By way of comparison, Australia, which is less than 1/3 of the population of Thailand , is running at 2,633 hospitalizations per day ( rolling 7 day average). 

https://www.health.gov.au/health-alerts/covid-19/case-numbers-and-statistics?language=und

Like almost every other country in the world, Covid is gone from the news there, nary a mask in sight and people go about their lives normally.

What you call daily hospitalizations (2633) from your link are actually reported as:

Weekly COVID-19 cases in hospital and ICU and case notifications, Australia, 01 Jan 2022 to 30 May 2023.

That sound like the total number in hospital averaged over a week.

Thailand's numbers are 'new' hospitalizations per week 2970 and per day 494.

• Thumbs Up 2