COVID makes comeback in Thailand as booster fatigue leaves door open

webfact

Some questions that need to be thought about.

If vaccinated can you still contract the virus?

Does being vaccinated mean if contracted you cannot spread the virus?

Do healthy people need to be vaccinated?

Do you need to be vaccinated (again and again and again)?

Can a highly infectious virus be stopped from spreading?

Is Omicron a fatal, severe or non-severe virus for the majority of the global population?

I for one will never be jabbed with this mRNA vaccine. I was jabbed twice with Astra. This has been removed from many markets. Why?

Please think rationally. This is the era of Omicron. It's endemic like the flu and the common cold. I'm guessing it will be around for decades or more to come. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

In Pattaya you can pay for one at Pattaya City Hospital on Friday mornings. 

Or for free at Banglamung Government hospital but not sure of the days. 

Hi 

Here are the deatils for Banglamung.

hope that helps

Changbeer4me

20230506_093139.jpg

Screenshot_20230602_194238_Google.jpg

Edited by Changbeer4me
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ICU Kid said:

Is this the sort of life we want to lead / should be promoting though?

Also, do you think 3 masks would be better than 2?

Covid will drag on for years in Thailand....I'm still waiting to chat it and get some of that good ole natural immunity! Taking precautions like this is slowing the process of developing immunity. Sure, if you are in a high risk group ake precautions. But children and healthy adults will mostly survive infection, and will result in long term immunity. 

• Like 2

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

COVID vaccines substantially REDUCE the risk of getting seriously ill or dying from COVID compared to being unvaccinated. If you haven't seen info regarding that, then you haven't been paying attention.

From the U.S. CDC as of a week ago:

"The VISION Network* assessed VE [vaccine effectiveness] against COVID-19–associated hospitalizations by time since bivalent vaccine receipt during September 13, 2022–April 21, 2023, among adults aged ≥18 years with and without immunocompromising conditions.

During the first 7–59 days after vaccination, compared with no vaccination, VE for receipt of a bivalent vaccine dose among adults aged ≥18 years was 62% (95% CI = 57%–67%) among adults without immunocompromising conditions."

"Among adults without immunocompromising conditions, VE [against COVID hospitalization] declined to 24% (95% CI = 12%–33%) among those aged ≥18 years by 120–179 days after vaccination."

"VE against critical illness was 69% during the 7–59 days after receipt of a bivalent dose and was more sustained (50% at 120–179 days after bivalent vaccination) than VE against hospitalization."

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/72/wr/mm7221a3.htm

This is true yet vaccinated people still get ill and some die as do the unvaccinated.

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The difference is, the unvaccinated folks, overall, get sick and die from COVID at much greater rates than do the vaccinated, as numerous studies have documented.

Screenshot_11.jpg.b2d680554dc42fd9ec6b627be151bc8b.jpg

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#rates-by-vaccine-status

The CDC found that in March 2023, adults who had been vaccinated with the newer bivalent vaccines had a 5.3 times lower risk of dying from COVID than the unvaccinated.

Surely even you can see that the trend is coming closer together. If the trend continues there will be no significant difference between vaccinated without updated booster, vaccinated with updated booster or unvaccinated and this looks like it will happen some time in the near future. I would like to see this graph at the beginning of June which will be two months on from this one. Thanks for the info.

9 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Vaccinated people do not carry the virus — they don’t get sick,” Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the CDC, told MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow on Tuesday. That’s “not just in the clinical trials, but it’s also in real-world data.”

Yes, she overstated the research that was known at that time, which later changed as the virus and science's understanding about it both evolved with time. Also, what she had said in the interview back in early 2021 was quickly corrected/clarified by her own agency.

From the article you quoted: "Dr. Walensky spoke broadly during this interview,” a CDC spokesperson told the Times. “It’s possible that some people who are fully vaccinated could get Covid-19. The evidence isn’t clear whether they can spread the virus to others. We are continuing to evaluate the evidence.”

None of that from early 2021 changes the reasons people then and now should keep current with their COVID vaccinations as recommended by public health agencies -- to reduce their risk of becoming infected, and even moreso, to even more substantially reduce their chances of becoming seriously ill or dying from COVID.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

But the political authorities stated it to encourage people to get jabbed. This is what the head of the CDC said in 2021, when the operation to get everybody jabbed was going full throttle:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/04/cdc-data-suggests-vaccinated-dont-carry-cant-spread-virus.html

Vaccinated people do not carry the virus — they don’t get sick,” Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the CDC, told MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow on Tuesday. That’s “not just in the clinical trials, but it’s also in real-world data.”

Why am I not surprised.....................

Fact Check-Merged clips of CDC Director Rochelle Walensky discussing vaccine protection from severe COVID-19 are missing context

Two merged clips of the Centre of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Rochelle Walensky discussing the protection from COVID-19 for those vaccinated in March 2021 and August 2021 are presented in a way that is missing context.

The video places two clips side-by-side.

Speaking on the Rachael Maddow show on MSNBC in March 2021, in the first clip Walensky said that CDC data showed that vaccinated people “don’t carry the virus” and “don’t get sick” (here).

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-walensky-clips-idUSL1N2PX1IZ

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Why am I not surprised.....................

Fact Check-Merged clips of CDC Director Rochelle Walensky discussing vaccine protection from severe COVID-19 are missing context

Two merged clips of the Centre of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Rochelle Walensky discussing the protection from COVID-19 for those vaccinated in March 2021 and August 2021 are presented in a way that is missing context.

Speaking on the Rachael Maddow show on MSNBC in March 2021, in the first clip Walensky said that CDC data showed that vaccinated people “don’t carry the virus” and “don’t get sick” (here).

I did not post a clip, but an article. She pronounced those words and, being the head of the CDC, they were very impactful.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Surely even you can see that the trend is coming closer together. If the trend continues there will be no significant difference between vaccinated without updated booster

Those figures don't include long Covid, which is a significantly more common outcome than death, especially among younger people, and is also reduced by the vaccine. Long Covid can be devastating to both one's health and one's bank account. Like all life's decisions, play the odds. Get vaccinated.

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, rattlesnake said:

"Yes, she overstated the research that was known at that time, which later changed as the virus and science's understanding about it both evolved with time."

At the speed of science, right?

The dozens of people I know who got the shot were initially convinced that, as with all the other vaccines they had before, they would not contract the illness they were being vaccinated against. This was the prevailing mindset and belief at the time, and the authorities (whose primary concern was to fight "vaccine hesitancy") certainly leaned heavily into it.

The authorities also managed to save millions of lives worldwide with the vaccines.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

will result in long term immunity.

I don't believe there's any or much credible evidence that prior COVID infections will result in "long term" immunity, depending on how one defines the term "long term."

The COVID virus keeps mutating, and as it does, the protections from past infections both diminish with passing time and diminish as the newer variants diverge more from the ones a person may have been infected with in the past.

One of the largest reviews of the issue found that newer Omicron variants do a better job of evading immunity from prior infections, with the protection rate being only 36.1% for Omicron BA.1 at 40 weeks.

"They found previous infection was highly protective against reinfection with alpha, beta and delta variants, but less so against omicron BA.1.

A previous infection provided moderate protection from reinfection with omicron BA.1 (45 percent), compared with stronger protection against pre-omicron variants (82 percent).

"Data from long-term studies showed that protection against reinfection for pre-omicron variants dropped to 78.6 percent over 40 weeks, whereas for omicron BA.1 it dropped more rapidly to 36.1 percent."

https://www.sciencealert.com/largest-study-of-its-kind-shows-how-long-immunity-really-lasts-after-covid-infection

It's not like a past COVID infection is some kind of permanent get out of COVID jail card.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

I did not post a clip, but an article. She pronounced those words and, being the head of the CDC, they were very impactful.

Your quote from the article my highlight:

30 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/04/cdc-data-suggests-vaccinated-dont-carry-cant-spread-virus.html

Now refer back to my fact check link:

10 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

But the political authorities stated it to encourage people to get jabbed. This is what the head of the CDC said in 2021, when the operation to get everybody jabbed was going full throttle:

This one didn't age well either:

Pfizer and BioNTech announced Monday their coronavirus vaccine was more than 90% effective in preventing Covid-19 among those without evidence of prior infection, hailing the development as “a great day for science and humanity.”

“I think we can see light at the end of the tunnel,” Pfizer Chairman and CEO Dr. Albert Bourla told CNBC’s Meg Tirrell on “Squawk Box.” “I believe this is likely the most significant medical advance in the last 100 years, if you count the impact this will have in public health, global economy.”

Source:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/09/covid-vaccine-pfizer-drug-is-more-than-90percent-effective-in-preventing-infection.html

Just goes to show that official sources are not always to be taken at face value (imho) and that 'The Science(tm)' changes over time

Edited by ICU Kid
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Paradise Pete said:

Those figures don't include long Covid, which is a significantly more common outcome than death, especially among younger people, and is also reduced by the vaccine. Long Covid can be devastating to both one's health and one's bank account. Like all life's decisions, play the odds. Get vaccinated.

Yes, long covid is a thing but you say it's reduced by vaccination. Maybe you can support this claim. Vaccine injury is also a thing. There was an article on here just yesterday. Bet that's not so good for the bank account either. You say "play the odds." What exactlty are the odds?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Your quote from the article my highlight:

Now refer back to my fact check link:

Your "fact check" is about a clip and the way it was assembled. You are smart, right? You understand what I am saying.

Edited by rattlesnake
  • Like 1

Just now, rattlesnake said:

Your "fact check" is a bout a clip and the way it was assembled. You are smart, right? You understand what I am saying.

The article you quoted is taken from the clip on MSNBC . The fact check link addresses that same clip and quote on MSNBC but I presume you know that and instead deflect.

Here let me add some more for you:

“The issue is that COVID-19 is not the same disease as it was 6 months ago. The delta variant is more contagious and requires higher levels of antibodies for killing it. Therefore, these videos tell only half the story,” Dr Buddy Creech, Associate Professor of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine in Nashville, Tennessee, told Reuters via email when presented with the claims.

• Thumbs Up 2