COVID makes comeback in Thailand as booster fatigue leaves door open

webfact

4 minutes ago, Toby1947 said:

Boosters, I wonder which country they scrounged them off ?

If I recall right, Thailand seems to have gotten most or all of its stock of bivalent COVID vaccines via donations from South Korea and France....

I don't believe I've seen anything indicating Thailand has, on its own, used its own money to buy stocks of the bivalent vaccines.

Which is probably one reason why they're continuing to use/offer the older monovalent vaccine versions alongside the bivalent ones.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, ianwheldale said:

You couldn't make this up. Unbelieveable stupidity in the face of masses of evidence out there.

Your absolutely correct, too many people want to just disregard that Covid is still an issue and that people should still be taking precautions while doing certain things.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Ditto for Surin/Buriram ...

In Pattaya you can pay for one at Pattaya City Hospital on Friday mornings. 

Or for free at Banglamung Government hospital but not sure of the days. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

The best line in this article: 

"The advice comes amid a general relaxation of COVID precautions such as mask-wearing, hand-washing, and avoidance of social gatherings as life returns to normal in Thailand."

Ya, except for the dead and hospitalized folks still being done in by COVID.... Their lives are hardly returning to normal.

The latest MoPH weekly update says Thailand is currently averaging 424 new COVID hospitalizations per day.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

Maybe if they made the bivalent vaccine specifically developed for Omicron readily available then there might be more booster uptake? The additional protection given by yet another jab of the old vaccines developed for the original strain is probably very limited once you've had a couple.

It's obviously in Thailand, but where to buy it?

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/many-turn-up-to-receive-bivalent-vaccine-booster-doses-provided-by-the-bma/

It was posted last year that the bivalent vaccine wouldn't be available in Thailand until mid 2023. We are there now. Still not heard any updates.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, phetphet said:

It was posted last year that the bivalent vaccine wouldn't be available in Thailand until mid 2023. We are there now. Still not heard any updates.

The bivalent vaccines are (and have been available for some time) at multiple locations around BKK, and supposedly at select locations in other provinces.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

No thanks, i'll passs. I  was in Laos the other weeek and hardly anyone were wearing masks. The lcoals were just gettig on with their lifes as if Covid never even existed in the first place. 

Thank you for your observations and the same here in Cambodia.

Thailand - the hub of Covid-19 and masks!

For reference, I have recently had my sixth free vaccination (fourth Pfizer booster) at my local hospital in Siem Reap, courtesy of the Royal Cambodian Government. I never wear a mask these days.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Looks like they're finally given up the ghost in the UK:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/people-urged-to-get-covid-jab-before-

Health Minister, Maria Caulfield, said:

As we live with COVID-19 without restrictions on our freedoms, it is right that we move towards a more targeted vaccination offer that prioritises those most at risk, so we can focus our efforts on cutting waiting lists for NHS treatment - one of the Prime Minister’s top 5 priorities.

As the offer for any adult to get a COVID-19 vaccine comes to an end on 30 June,

Edited by Pink Mist
Off-topic portion removed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MurakamiX said:

I'm currently back in the Western world and tested positive Sunday night. I'm 34 years old and this is probably the worst I've ever felt from an illness.

At one point I was coughing up blood and EMTs came out to check me over. The following day I went to a GP and somehow my fever had disappeared by that point, and my blood oxygen levels were back to 99 — typical.

Now 5 days into it I only have a sore throat, zero sense of smell or taste, and sometimes get cold chills and a drunken/tipsy sensation in the head. I'm someone who exercises 3 times a week and not overweight, so getting this ill caught me off guard a lite bit. Funnily enough I didn't catch covid once throughout the pandemic. 

Are you vaccinated? If so, with which vaccine(s), and how many times?

A series of trolling emoticons which have been placed on a posters posts by one individual have been removed. 

11. You will not troll or stalk other members by misusing forum posts, private messages, reactions, emojis or by any other means.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tom H said:

China: 40 millions per week right now?

That's the problem when covid was and still at its peak in China and they let so many of them in Thailand. Covid is a big problem in Chjna and what is the precautions measure to the flock of people flying in?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, wombat said:

how many times do you have to be told that it does not stop you getting covid?

Exactly why I recommend double masking and staying at home. It's not rocket science. Remember, the life you save could be your own. 

• Haha 2

UK Covud news:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/people-urged-to-get-covid-jab-before-offer-ends

The offer of a first or second dose of COVID-19 vaccine will end on 30 June 2023 for most people.

• The offer of a first and second dose of COVID-19 vaccine for those at lower risk of severe illness will end on 30 June 2023
  • There are 8 weeks left for people who are completely unvaccinated to get their first and second doses
  • Around 40 million adults across England have already come forward for both doses

So still 30M unvaccinated in the UK : /

5 minutes ago, ICU Kid said:

UK Covud news:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/people-urged-to-get-covid-jab-before-offer-ends

The offer of a first or second dose of COVID-19 vaccine will end on 30 June 2023 for most people.

• The offer of a first and second dose of COVID-19 vaccine for those at lower risk of severe illness will end on 30 June 2023
  • There are 8 weeks left for people who are completely unvaccinated to get their first and second doses
  • Around 40 million adults across England have already come forward for both doses

No there's not still 30M people in the UK unvaccinated. 

Among people aged 18 years and over, 75.8% had received at least three COVID-19 vaccinations as of 2 March 2023. Of those who had received three doses and were eligible, 77.7% had continued to their fourth vaccination.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19latestinsights/vaccines

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, ICU Kid said:

UK Covud news:

As I said, the UK plans to continue offering COVID vaccines to those in the higher risk groups on a seasonal basis. Per your quoted document above:

"Should a person move into an at-risk group, the offer of a first or second dose will re-open with the seasonal booster programmes."

And elsewhere from the NHS:

"After 30 June 2023

If you are eligible for a spring vaccination, or if you haven’t had your 1st or 2nd dose, the last date you will be able to get vaccinated is 30 June.

After this date, you will only be eligible for a 1st or 2nd dose if you are at increased risk from COVID-19 and in most cases, you will have to wait until the autumn to get these vaccinations. If you develop a new health condition or start treatment that severely weakens your immune system, an exception may be made if your clinician advises you to get vaccinated sooner."

https://www.england.nhs.uk/who-is-at-increased-risk-from-covid-19/

The UK isn't getting out of the COVID vaccines venture, just scaling it back.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

John,

The grandfather is at Bhumibol Adulyadej Hospital, and they did have room for him as he was moved into the ICU.  He has Covid related Pneumonia my stepdaughter informed me.  She feels bad because she believes she was the one who brought it home from school.  She went to school feeling fine, was sent home with the rest of her class at the beginning of the day on Tuesday, but by noon was feeling feverish and had a sore throat.  By Wednesday the whole family was down.  Pretty rapid spread.

Are they vaccinated?

13 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Common sense died with Covid.

Not really imho, just exposed people and their often  irrational ideas about life and  death.

More people die on the roads here but we realise that repeating the same messages over and over and over again don't change much if anything.  This subject will eventually run it's course like it has in other countries and not a moment too soon IMHO

• Like 1