Brexit blamed for rising food prices by a majority of voters, poll shows

onthedarkside

4 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

My original post stated "10 Countries on the European  continent with higher food Inflation than the UK" Turkey is listed as part of the European  continent

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe#List_of_states_and_territories

Yes and it's ludicrous to compare Turkey with the UK given that we know it's had rampant inflation due to Erdogan's policies. Turkey is not a peer nation of the UK. In the list I posted, the UK has the highest food inflation of any peer nation in the EU by a country mile.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Why are you taking out EU countries Hungary 39% Slovakia 25.4% Estonia 23.4% Serbia 23.1% Lithuania 21.9% Latvia 20.2% Romania 19.84% Poland 19.7%

And if we look at the figures for April Germany 21.2% Sweden 19.65% Portugal 19.57% and finally European Union 19.17% which was higher than the UK April 19.1%

I took the most recent figures from your link, in the column called "last".

Now, if you think that it is relevant to compare UK to Latvia, Hungary or Serbia, well, It's your choice!

BTW, as you stressed yourself, food inflation rates have decreased in the EU compared to previous month, while in UK it remained more or less the same (from 19.1% to 19%).

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Yes and it's ludicrous to compare Turkey with the UK given that we know it's had rampant inflation due to Erdogan's policies. Turkey is not a peer nation of the UK. In the list I posted, the UK has the highest food inflation of any peer nation in the EU by a country mile.

You seem to have chosen to ignore the European Union Food Inflation rate of 19.7% in April 

And if we look at Food Inflation Rates for May Sweden 16.86%, Germany 16.8% and European Union at 16.41%

Clearly your  statement that the the UK has the highest food inflation of any peer nation in the EU by a country mile. is False as we can see the difference between Sweden and the UK is 2.14% and between UK and Germany is 2.2%

6 minutes ago, candide said:

I took the most recent figures from your link, in the column called "last".

Now, if you think that it is relevant to compare UK to Latvia, Hungary or Serbia, well, It's your choice!

BTW, as you stressed yourself, food inflation rates have decreased in the EU compared to previous month, while in UK it remained more or less the same (from 19.1% to 19%).

Yes Germany Food Inflation Rate has decreased from 21.2% in April to 16..8% In May together with the European Union Food Inflation Rate has decreased from 19.7% in April to 16.41% in May

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I didn’t intend ‘to prove anything’.

I simply provided factual evidence of Rees-Mogg, a Brexit leading light,  stating Brexit would reduce the price of food on the UK.

Brexit has happened and the price of food in the UK has increased  significantly.

Reality has exposed Rees-Mogg’s Brexit lie, I had absolutely no part in the lie being made or proven to be a lie.

Rees-Mogg’s statement made in 2017 since then Covid, War in Ukraine,  Higher energy costs  Inflation Rates has all led to increased  Food Inflation Rates worldwide

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Rees-Mogg’s statement made in 2017 since then Covid, War in Ukraine,  Higher energy costs  Inflation Rates has all led to increased  Food Inflation Rates worldwide

People voted on a promise of lower prices. 

Give them excuses when millions can’t afford to eat regular meals, you know they want to hear them.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The rate of inflation anywhere else in the world is irrelevant.

Families in Britain are paying the prices in Britain.

Rees-Mogg and others made the Brexit promise that Brexit would deliver lower food prices.

Rees-Mogg was lying, it was a Brexit lie.

People have noticed.

And People will have noticed if they look at Countries near to the UK  or Countries that are EU members that  Food Inflation in those countries over the past few months has been higher than in the UK

30 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

People voted on a promise of lower prices. 

Give them excuses when millions can’t afford to eat regular meals, you know they want to hear them.

Eu referendum was June 2016 Rees-Mogg was 2017 people had already voted 

6 hours ago, vinny41 said:

And People will have noticed if they look at Countries near to the UK  or Countries that are EU members that  Food Inflation in those countries over the past few months has been higher than in the UK

During a short period of time only (UK is the black line).

https://tradingeconomics.com/european-union/food-inflation

Screenshot_20230605-062618.png

6 hours ago, vinny41 said:

People in the UK are not looking at their household bills and comparing them with those of some distant EU family.

They are discussing the cost of living increases with friends and families or even with strangers in the check-out queue.

Refer the conclusion many have come to at the top of this thread.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, vinny41 said:

You seem to have chosen to ignore the European Union Food Inflation rate of 19.7% in April 

And if we look at Food Inflation Rates for May Sweden 16.86%, Germany 16.8% and European Union at 16.41%

Clearly your  statement that the the UK has the highest food inflation of any peer nation in the EU by a country mile. is False as we can see the difference between Sweden and the UK is 2.14% and between UK and Germany is 2.2%

In inflation terms 2% is a lot.

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

People in the UK are not looking at their household bills and comparing them with those of some distant EU family.

They are discussing the cost of living increases with friends and families or even with strangers in the check-out queue.

How do you know Have you asked every single person in the UK

I am sure many people will be looking at  Food Inflation Rates for European countries and asking themselves would we have been better off remaining in the EU

53 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I would imagine people in distant countries are also discussing cost of living rises. It is a global issue after all.

What are people in those countries blaming?

4 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I would imagine people in distant countries are also discussing cost of living rises. It is a global issue after all.

Energy costs mainly because of Ukraine but they have lower food inflation rates than the UK. By a lot. Central bank target rates are 2%. They freak out when inflation is 4% and jack up interest rates.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Energy costs mainly because of Ukraine but they have lower food inflation rates than the UK. By a lot. Central bank target rates are 2%. They freak out when inflation is 4% and jack up interest rates.

Previous posts on the matter suggest otherwise. I believe it's in the region of 2% less at best and many %%% more at worst.

Anyway, thanks for confirming Brexit is not to blame for inflation.  Good call.

• Thanks 1

In October 2022 UK  Food Inflation Rate was 16.2% and it remain in the 16% range until February 2023 when it increased to 18% 

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/food-inflation

Germany for the same period started at 18.9% and increased to its peak of 21.2% in March 2023

https://tradingeconomics.com/germany/food-inflation

European Union for the same period stated at 18.9% in October 2022 and  increased to 19.17% in March 2023

https://tradingeconomics.com/european-union/food-inflation

So for the period from October 2022 until Food Inflation rates were both higher in Germany and the European Union as a whole than the UK

Edited by vinny41
typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Previous posts on the matter suggest otherwise. I believe it's in the region of 2% less at best and many %%% more at worst.

Anyway, thanks for confirming Brexit is not to blame for inflation.  Good call.

I didn't. I clearly said that the UK has higher inflation rates than the EU peers and the evidence I have presented states that brexit is the cause.

Show me where the central bank target rate for inflation worldwide has been anything other than 2% for the past 100 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

I didn't. I clearly said that the UK has higher inflation rates than the EU peers and the evidence I have presented states that brexit is the cause.

Show me where the central bank target rate for inflation worldwide has been anything other than 2% for the past 100 years.

Some of their EU peers not " EU peers".

47 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

In inflation terms 2% is a lot.

You are correct for the past 6 months from October 2022 Germany food inflation rates have ranged from 2.1% to 3.1% higher than the UK food inflation rates for the same months

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

You are correct for the past 6 months from October 2022 Germany food inflation rates have ranged from 2.1% to 3.1% higher than the UK food inflation rates for the same months

Because energy prices have been collapsing the past month or so. That's why the change now. Brexit is holding the UK at the top of the inflation list according to the credible evidence we see here.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

They can blame whoever they wish and we can discuss it in the topic on that subject.

10 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

ALL of their EU "peers". Hungary, Poland, Turkey. etc are not national peers for the UK.

Regardless of your opinion, and it is just that, those countries have higher inflation which is unrelated to Brexit.

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Because energy prices have been collapsing the past month or so. That's why the change now. Brexit is holding the UK at the top of the inflation list according to the credible evidence we see here.

Not the top. You are mistaken.

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

Regardless of your opinion, and it is just that, those countries have higher inflation which is unrelated to Brexit.

Not the top. You are mistaken.

We've been through this, at the top of the list for peer countries. Here's the reason why Germany's food inflation rate has dropped so rapidly.

Natural gas prices.

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 1.07.31 PM.png

• Thumbs Up 1