Thai Bank Account for retirement...new rules?

1 hour ago, bigt3116 said:

A yellow house book is most certainly NOT required to open a bank account, or indeed any other task in Thailand, other than a precurser to a pink id card

I was asked at Bangkok bank on sukhumvit Rd near centre Rd. For yellow book.  Actually they asked for embassy letter first. I told them that australian embassy does not do letters like that any more. Only for Australian affairs. I recommend be ready for anything. Rules are made at the spur of the moment in Thailand and depends on who you deal with and what you wear. Although I'm guessing yellow book is not a usual request.

41 minutes ago, Albaby said:

I am merely trying to give the OP the details of my recent "lived" experience

How recent is "Recent" only reports from Bangkok & Pattaya say that since March's changes to Banking Regulations, Banks will not open an account unless you have...

1. Visa (I note you said you had a Tourist Visa) with at least 30 days left on the permission to stay
  2. TM30 
  3. Certificate of Residence from Immigration (am assuming CM IO accepted your Yellow Book as proof, obviously most Tourists don't have one of these). 

We all know that different Branches/Branch staff have different "Rules" on different days & so it might be that what worked for you with that member of staff in that Branch in Chiang Mai might not work for the guy who was at the next counter (or a guy who came in the next day & spoke to the same member of staff), but it does seem that the perceived wisdom of trying another Branch or go back on another day no longer seems sensible in Bangkok/Pattaya.

NB The OP reported that he was able to open an account in Hua Hin, so maybe worth trying different cities where they might not be as stringent about following the new rules. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

12 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

How recent is "Recent" only reports from Bangkok & Pattaya say that since March's changes to Banking Regulations, Banks will not open an account unless you have...

1. Visa (I note you said you had a Tourist Visa) with at least 30 days left on the permission to stay
  2. TM30 
  3. Certificate of Residence from Immigration (am assuming CM IO accepted your Yellow Book as proof, obviously most Tourists don't have one of these). 

We all know that different Branches/Branch staff have different "Rules" on different days & so it might be that what worked for you with that member of staff in that Branch in Chiang Mai might not work for the guy who was at the next counter (or a guy who came in the next day & spoke to the same member of staff), but it does seem that the perceived wisdom of trying another Branch or go back on another day no longer seems sensible in Bangkok/Pattaya.

NB The OP reported that he was able to open an account in Hua Hin, so maybe worth trying different cities where they might not be as stringent about following the new rules. 

About 6 weeks ago, went to Cm Immigration to confirm my address, paid 500B and returned the next day to pick up a white slip which Cpt Jack tells me was probably a Cert of Residence, my passport and my Oz drivers license.Before anyone jumps on me, the bank specifically asked for the DL when I first applied for an a/c. I didn't have a yellow book at that stage and it wasn't asked for. The same documentation was required when I applied for the yellow book at what my wife calls the Municipality, the only difference being that the "Municipality" wanted translations of the passport and DL. Hope that helps. Gawd I think I need a good lie down????

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 7:33 AM, zzzzz said:

thats the price for going from a tourists visa to a non o visa to a 1 year extension with NO MONEY in the bank
some banks will charge you around 5-6,00 baht for insurance to open an account on a tourist visa 

could ask for a discount? perhaps get it down to 4,00 THB or so..

3 minutes ago, Albaby said:

If you pay the 6000.....

As pointed out.....

One thing you require is a certificate of residence OR letter from your embassy.

In your previous post you mention paying 500b to immigration for "white slip" 

That is the certificate of residence.

All good at CM as they accepted your TM30 to apply for 

COR

The thing is that won't work in Bangkok. 

Also some countries embassies do not provide "address letter" 

AU and USA being just 2 examples.

Hence some folk need to use agents.

Usual cost approx 5k 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

As pointed out.....

One thing you require is a certificate of residence OR letter from your embassy.

In your previous post you mention paying 500b to immigration for "white slip" 

That is the certificate of residence.

All good at CM as they accepted your TM30 to apply for 

COR

The thing is that won't work in Bangkok. 

Also some countries embassies do not provide "address letter" 

AU and USA being just 2 examples.

Hence some folk need to use agents.

Usual cost approx 5k 

I accept what you say Jack, the op says he has accommodation in Bangkok. In that case an agent might be his best option. I've got to say if I were to repeat the exercise of the bank ac and then the yellow book, I'd pay for assistance. So frustrating.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 8:58 AM, Caldera said:

Only if you let them. You can cancel the insurance after the 1st year and that won't affect your bank account. 

OP can open a CD account later (or move to a different bank before one year). IMO the insurance can't be renewed if there is no sufficient fund in the savings account  by the time of renewal  

2 hours ago, gerrybpattaya said:

Try Kasikorn Bank, they would always give an account to a farang on a tourist visa.

That’s not true anymore. I have an O-A and still needed the certificate of residence. I tried multiple banks.

Stop telling people they can just walk in on a tourist visa and get an account because someone got lucky somewhere. You need to come prepared and do things the correct way.

• Thumbs Up 1

A few years ago, I opened an account at Kasikorn but I needed to buy some kind of insurance from them. If I remember correctly, it was 15,000. Even further back in time 2013 Bangkok Bank in Pattaya (main office) let me as a tourist open an account. 

• Haha 1

On 6/5/2023 at 5:51 AM, gamb00ler said:

In 2020 they never requested I sign such documents @SCB bank in Chiang Mai despite my American accent (but Canadian passport).  I lived in US for 35 years and now my family says I sound more like a Yank than a Canuck.

I would doubt that many Thais can distinguish between a Canadian and American accents - especially the northern US states. I as a Brit have trouble telling "Canucks" from "Yanks". Now Rednecks I can tell immediately..... Y'All! ????

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/20/2023 at 8:42 AM, DrJack54 said:
On 6/20/2023 at 8:32 AM, SiSePuede419 said:

And they're STILL "considering it" and we were told they're going to send out the Immigration Police again to my house for a SURPRISE VISIT to see if I am "really living there".

Why?

Expand  

You are very confused.

You entered on a non O that gave you a 90 day permission of stay stamp.

Incorrect.

I originally applied to the Thai Embassy in my home country for a NON-O Marriage visa, which required a subset of the same documents required for the 12 month visa from Thai Immigration in Thailand.

Two different Thai government agencies.  First is an embassy, second is immigration.

See the difference?  Same visa, different providers.

On 6/20/2023 at 8:00 PM, VBF said:

I as a Brit have trouble telling "Canucks" from "Yanks". Now Rednecks I can tell immediately..... Y'All! ????

Unlike England outside of London or Manchester, America is a melting pot, more like a gumbo of different accents.

The other day I was watching a travel vlog from a nice American family.

Whose ancestors were Phillipino (my guess).

The guy had kinda a ghetto southern twang.

I'm guessing his parents originally lived in Compton then moved to Houston. ????

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

I originally applied to the Thai Embassy in my home country for a NON-O Marriage visa, which required a subset of the same documents required for the 12 month visa from Thai Immigration in Thailand.

You are confused. 

You obtained a non O based on marriage in your own country.

That is a single entry visa and gives you a 90 day permission of stay stamp upon entry.

At that point your non O marriage is USED.

Prior to your permission of stay expiring and with 15+ days you apply for 12 months extension of your permission of stay.

You do not have a visa.

Alternatively you could have obtained a ME Non O marriage visa that is valid for 12 months.

Some countries provide that option.

In Thailand region the go to place for that visa is Savannakhet.

2 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Unlike England outside of London or Manchester, America is a melting pot, more like a gumbo of different accents.

<snip>

OTOH, have you ever heard a Geordie talking with a Devonian? ????