Thai Bank Account for retirement...new rules?

24 minutes ago, ravip said:
1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't know how you managed to open a bank account at DMX without a certificate of residence.

Like I mentioned, it was a couple of years back (20/04/2016).

Why post such irrelevant 'information' when that was over 7 years ago, not "a couple" of years ago? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why post such irrelevant 'information' when that was over 7 years ago, not "a couple" of years ago? 

For over 7 years or more, foreigners were having issues opening Bank accounts on Tourist visa. Branch to Branch, of the same Bank, different 'rules' were mentioned.

Even on this thread, the different 'rules' in different branches were mentioned. Some even criticised the bank employees!

Hence, my screen shot of the 'earlier' Bangkok Banks requirements and todays - ON exactly the same link.

It is obvious that some rule has changed. It seems the best option is to ask a Bank manager him/her self.

1 hour ago, judokrab said:

Why on earth would they do a home visit for a retirement visa?!

I've no idea, just saying what happened, we did discuss the 2 options of either a Marriage Visa or Retirement, as far as I'm concerned they can do as they please , I'm only a guest of Thailand and am going with the flow.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wake Up said:

You could go back to your home country and get a one year O-A visa and then have two years ( see threads on how to get two years from a one year O-A visa)  to put the money in a Thailand bank account. With an O-A visa and a certificate of residence you can open a bank account. 

Do I need the certificate of residence. Kasikorn website does not mention it under required documents.

3 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Do I need the certificate of residence. Kasikorn website does not mention it under required documents.

You should be able to open account with Kasikorn given the fact you have a non O-A visa

I opened an account with Kasikorn without a certificate of residence and I am on extensions from a non O

Edited by DrJack54

10 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

I've no idea, just saying what happened, we did discuss the 2 options of either a Marriage Visa or Retirement, as far as I'm concerned they can do as they please , I'm only a guest of Thailand and am going with the flow.

I think you were obtaining a non O (not an extension) ?

A home visit for a non O retirement visa not unusual. 

Edited by DrJack54

4 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Is Bangkok Bank better then Kasikorn in any way?

Both excellent.

I personally prefer Kasikorn.

There are only 3 banks that do not have a 50k per transaction limit for international transfers using WISE.

Both BB and K bank are on that list.

Also both those banks have branches at CW if you deal with that immigration office.

SCB does not. 

Note: in my earlier post to you, I stated that I had no problems opening account with K bank.

BB wanted certificate of residence.

Edited by DrJack54

OP here...if I exit thailand to a neighboring country to get a non-O, what country would be best? Seems having a non-O would help this situation. Is it really difficult to get one in another Asian country? 

4 minutes ago, Dghart001 said:

OP here...if I exit thailand to a neighboring country to get a non-O, what country would be best? Seems having a non-O would help this situation. Is it really difficult to get one in another Asian country? 

Savannakhet would be an option.

Saigon is nice but requires an appointment.

Why not try a Pattaya agent such as Maneerat Soi 13/2

Realize your Bangkok but not a difficult option.

Mini break

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Do any of the banks require re-certification every year or re-checking of the visa, or is it just a permanent account forever?

I may want to leave the country and park some funds here.

Edited by JimTripper

3 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Do any of the banks require re-certification every year or re-checking of the visa, or is it just a permanent account forever?

They just photocopy info page of your passport and have you sign it..

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Bangkok  Bank is well noted for a case of making up their own rules on the spot and that goes for the HQ Branch Management section as well,  a customer can't talk to anyone in that section.  I tried 6 days ago. Was told if it's not in the Bangkok Bank's rules book it's the Branch bank manager decision.  That was from Customer Service Center Phone #  1333. So much customer service.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I'm not sure if they do that here, but what I'm looking is for rock solid no problems stability.

This doesn't prove much...but for what it's worth...

I have been here 10 years and have had zero issues.

Have purchased 4 properties and used WISE to transfer online from my Oz bank to Thai bank. 

Better service than my AU bank.

Few months back purchased a condo and withdrew 2.5mil baht cash  from shopping mall branch.

No problem.

In Australia my bank would make me book that amount day  prior to providing it. 

Think you are over thinking it. 

Edited by DrJack54

Or buy a Thai elite visa. 1 million baht for 20 years, no health insurance needed, no bank account needed.

People say, but then my money is gone. But with a non-o, you also loose your money.

The non o is still without health insurance, non oA is a MUST with health insurance. And the older you get, the higher the costs of health insurance and of course insurance companies dont always want to pay. 

With a Thai elite they help you with ... a bank account and also thought with an ID card or Thai driver licence, if you want.

With a non-o (non oA), you need 2 months prior to application have 800 kbaht in bank and then it has to remain 800 kbaht another 3 months after that.

You cant touch that money, then later you can use it, but only 400 kbaht, the other 400 MUST still be there. AND when the year is almost gone, you MUST again have 800 kbaht again 2 months prior, for extending, on that account. But that is already the problem for many years. Some are lucky and other ones struggle.

It is a possibility, but up to you.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Are there any problems opening an account with an O-A visa, or are the problems just for a tourist visa?

5 years ago all the branches I visited refused to open an account although I had O-A visa, residence certificate and 12 months lease. Then I brought my gf which deals with them very often and the staff became very friendly. I opened accounts with Krungsri and Bangkok bank. Didn't have to pay anything or buy insurances. At that time I didn't really care too much, as with O-A one doesn't really need bank account at all, but later when I converted tourist visa to Non-O retirement they came very handy.

Later I got a credit card with Bangkok bank, no issues at all as I had an account already.

As this is Thailand, it would vary between the various provinces and branches. For Samui I would recommend Krungsri at Central, upper floor. I had to visit the branch a few times last 2 weeks, every time there were some Russians (or Ukrainians?) opening accounts.

• Confused 1

54 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Or buy a Thai elite visa. 1 million baht for 20 years, no health insurance needed, no bank account needed.

Can also get the 600K 5 year TE Visa & before the 5 years is up pay another 400K to upgrade it to the 1Million 20 year visa. 

By doing this not only can you delay having to lay out the full 1 Million but you also get all the perks of the 5 year visa (Airport transfers, golf, spas, massage etc...) for the 1st 5 years.

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I may want to leave the country and park some funds here.

In theory it is an account forever, but I don't know what happens when your debit card expires...I don't think they mail cards here so you may have to turn up in a branch, and they may check your visa. However if you don't need the card you can operate it remotely as long as you have Thai Sim card. Or a mobile app.

But rules change all the time wrt AML/KYC, so they may need to verify you every X years, if they can't reach you they may freeze your account.

CBA in Australia told me every 2 years although they admitted they may skip it, esp for retail customers. With another bank my business account was blocked because they wanted to refresh the KYC data and they couldn't reach me, again in Australia.

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why a "corrupt" agent?   A non-corrupt agent could do the same but it's the bank officer that would be corrupt, not the agent.

The corruption proceedings are probably split between the agent and the bank officer. In many countries it is a criminal offence to offer or receive a bribe.

• Haha 2

When i first arrived  in Thailand, hoping to stay long time.  I cam in on a 3 month Non O, and had no trouble in opening a bank account with my local Kasikorn bank.  That was years ago and still have the original account but moved to my local branch.  Originally I used sister -in law's address in Bangkok where I was staying.  Now wife and I have our own place and I have papers to prove I live there.  

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

In theory it is an account forever, but I don't know what happens when your debit card expires...I don't think they mail cards here so you may have to turn up in a branch, and they may check your visa

Your just making stuff up.

The branch will require your passport and photocopy ID page and have you sign it.

That's it.