Thai Bank Account for retirement...new rules?

Just now, phetphet said:

Have you made living arrangements yet?

Even if you are staying long term in a hotel. Try and get TM.30 plus a letter that you are staying there and use them to get a Residence Certificate. Then use the resi Cert to open a bank account.

Yeah 1 month airbnb but will get 12 month lease.

23 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

thats the price for going from a tourists visa to a non o visa to a 1 year extension with NO MONEY in the bank
some banks will charge you around 5-6,00 baht for insurance to open an account on a tourist visa 

Highly unlikely today but might be doable in a tourist-‘friendly’ place like Pattaya. On the bank’s regs,  you typically need a work permit to open one, or at least a non-O (which you can’t get without an account) + local ID such as driving license and yes certified address/contract. Unless op knows banking staff—preferably manager—to bend the rules, would be best off contacting an agent. 

Edited by daveAustin
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Highly unlikely today but might be doable in a tourist-‘friendly’ place like Pattaya. On the bank’s regs,  you typically need a work permit to open one, or at least a non-O (which you can’t get without an account) + local ID such as driving license and yes certified address/contract. Unless op knows banking staff—preferably manager—to bend the rules, would be best off contacting an agent. 

Thanks...I guess I am just curious if anyone knows of an agent or legal firm that will still open an account for me for a fee.

29 minutes ago, Dghart001 said:

Yeah 1 month airbnb but will get 12 month lease.

OP, it's not about lease.

Ignore the posts re various suggestions to open bank account.

If opening a bank account in Bangkok you need a "certificate of residence" 

There is a catch 22....

To obtain a certificate of residence you need to have made a 90 day report (TM47) which is not possible on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry.

Surprised Siam Legal stopped that service.

You could try @ThaiVisaCentre and ask them.

Other provinces do not have the TM47 requirement. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dghart001 said:

So I have just arrived on a 60 day tourist visa, and am planning to apply for the retirement visa. I need to open a bank account to transfer the 800,000 baht, but it seems that as of about a month ago banks are downright refusing to open accounts for foreigners on a tourist visa.

If you are planning to get a retirement visa it should have been done prior to travelling to Thailand. banks would be more co-operative with the correct type of visa. There is nothing new in the stance banks are taking. I have letter from 2014 that pointed out that a change in BOT regulations required foreigners to have a work permit or long term visa.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

If you are planning to get a retirement visa it should have been done prior to travelling to Thailand. banks would be more co-operative with the correct type of visa. There is nothing new in the stance banks are taking. I have letter from 2014 that pointed out that a change in BOT regulations required foreigners to have a work permit or long term visa.

Yes good advice. 

• Like 2

Frickin' banks. And to think, you are putting your own money in there and they will be using it to make money, presumably, as that's what banks do. It's not like you are asking for a loan. I wonder if going to immigration and asking them how you can deposit the money for eventual retirement visa might give some ideas. It's rather a catch-22, isn't it? Need the visa to be able to open an account in order to deposit the money to obtain said visa.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1