Thai Banks are Starting to Require Facial Recognition for High-Value Transactions

webfact

when i arrived last month i went to bank and handed them $4000 usd as i carry it over and exchange as needed and deposit in thai bank......no issues for me...passport and bank book

...oh a cavity search by somchai the security guard, once he woke up* ????

21 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

All very well but majority of the Fraud and Theft is carried out by Thai Bank Staff !

Dunno about "majority," but in-house bank theft and fraud against customers is certainly a big business among certain bank staff here.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Or what about ATM transactions. The machines have security cameras, but not facial recognition capability AFAIK.

The face scan update is for the bank records only. You will not be required to take face scans on your phone or at ATM's.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

The face scan update is for the bank records only. You will not be required to take face scans on your phone or at ATM's.

AFAIK, at least presently, a person (Thai or farang) can transfer quite large sums of baht via ATM transactions....

5 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

Foreigners are not included.  The reason being when the banks are taking the pic of the customer their Thai ID card is scanned before the pic is taken and then linked to the ID card.. As foreigners do not have Thai ID cards with a data chip in it, it is not possible for us to have our pic taken for this new process.

I wonder how Krungsri managed to take my photo then.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Well what is the point of it all then?

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, alyx said:

50 K and 200 K are hardly high-value transaction imo

The value is irrelevant, nothing more than a starting point.

Facial recognition was used in the government We Travel Together scheme, only a question of time before it encroaches into everything.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm actually OK with transfers out of my bank account being limited.

I'd suggest they lowered the limit to 5kbht.

No need to participate in the FR service.

medical emergencies? when the hospitals hold a gun to your head before payment

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

Yes I have seen that, but after witnessing how the process was done with my wife and being told that foreigners were not included, I don't believe any of those posts.  As I said the process involves first scanning a person's Thai ID card and THEN taking the photo. The ID card scanner is attached to the tablet used to take the photo and the data on the ID card is linked to the pic that is taken and then linked to a person's bank account number. I have accounts at 3 different banks and have been told at all 3 that foreigners are NOT included and the process was exactly the same, scan the ID card first and then take the photo.  So the only way a foreigner can be included is to have a Thai ID card, and I don't mean a pink ID card. They can't be scanned as there is no data chip in them.

39 minutes ago, WilliamSmits said:

This is rolling out now, also for foreigners.

My transfer of 50.000 thb was blocked and a message popped up to go to the bank with bank book & passport.

Picture is taken, uploaded and verified with passport.

(+ few copies and other forms to s8gn)

these conflicting stories are confusing 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

Foreigners are not included.  The reason being when the banks are taking the pic of the customer their Thai ID card is scanned before the pic is taken and then linked to the ID card.. As foreigners do not have Thai ID cards with a data chip in it, it is not possible for us to have our pic taken for this new process.

Wrong. My bank (Krungsri) took my picture using the camera on the counter desk.My passport was used as ID and a manager was called over to verify the passport photo against my mug.They weren't interested in my pink card.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

On a recent trip back to the U.S., I was somewhat shocked when I arrived at the CBP (Customs and Border Protection) checkpoint at my arriving airport, and the officer there didn't even ask for or want to examine my U.S. passport.

Rather, he pointed a handheld camera/scanner at my face, and then a couple seconds later simply said.... "Thanks Mr. Tallguy. Welcome back to the U.S."

That was a new one for me...

Likewise, when at the airport in the U.S. preparing to board the flight back to BKK, the final entry gate before boarding the plane was controlled by facial scanning instead of presenting or scanning my printed boarding pass.

The times are a changin'...

Well, not only in the USA, i had the same experience in Hong Kong, when i fly back to BKK, also facial scanning, and i am not a resident from HK.

12 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Problem 2. Asked me to remove face covering in spite of being photographed at the bank with my white beard. Eventually had to cover beard with hand to be accepted.

Next time remember to shave before you go in.

1 hour ago, couchpotato said:
1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Well what is the point of it all then?

1 hour ago, couchpotato said:

Agreed, but that is what The Government has told the Banks to do...

Who knows what the future holds.

Agreed what? Didn't you read the original article, or even the headline? Let me remind you:

'Thai Banks are Starting to Require Facial Recognition for High-Value Transactions'.

That is completely at odds with your earlier post. This doesn't sound like: The face scan update is for the bank records only. You will not be required to take face scans on your phone or at ATM's. to me..

4 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

Yes I have seen that, but after witnessing how the process was done with my wife and being told that foreigners were not included, I don't believe any of those posts.  As I said the process involves first scanning a person's Thai ID card and THEN taking the photo. The ID card scanner is attached to the tablet used to take the photo and the data on the ID card is linked to the pic that is taken and then linked to a person's bank account number. I have accounts at 3 different banks and have been told at all 3 that foreigners are NOT included and the process was exactly the same, scan the ID card first and then take the photo.  So the only way a foreigner can be included is to have a Thai ID card, and I don't mean a pink ID card. They can't be scanned as there is no data chip in them.

Kringrsri has been posting it for over a month and it's for everyone. A couple people keep claiming it's just a translation error but it's closer to poor internal communication at the banks.

Thai's have to bring the ID card and bank book, foreigners have to bring bank book and passport.

I did mine 2 weeks ago. The confusion is still between the banks, their branches and the banking regulators. The July date has been mentioned also for over a month

3 hours ago, jayboy said:

Wrong. My bank (Krungsri) took my picture using the camera on the counter desk.My passport was used as ID and a manager was called over to verify the passport photo against my mug.They weren't interested in my pink card.

As another post correctly reminds, I forgot to mention you also need to take your bank pass book.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Agreed what? Didn't you read the original article, or even the headline? Let me remind you:

'Thai Banks are Starting to Require Facial Recognition for High-Value Transactions'.

That is completely at odds with your earlier post. This doesn't sound like: The face scan update is for the bank records only. You will not be required to take face scans on your phone or at ATM's. to me..

Silly boy...I agreed with your "what's the point" because the requirements at this time do seem a bit pointless to stop scammers.

But if you put your glasses on, you'll see that the face scans are only for internal bank records at this time (but this of course could change later). Once you have updated/verified at your bank, there is no need for ATM or phone face scans for any transactions, even over the stated limits, at this time.

This is the official information available from banks at this time.

So maybe in July when these changes are supposed to be fully implemented, we will have definite answers, and possibly new regulations also. 

But anything that might help stop scamming of people and their bank accounts can only be welcome.

End of conversation.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Untrue going by other posts on here (probably in the banking section).

One poster had trouble with the phone recognising him and put it down to lighting as it worked eventually in another location with better lighting.  Another poster couldn't read the intructions on his phone (maybe the same guy as posted on Page 1 in this thread with what sounds like a similar issue).

1 minute ago, treetops said:

Untrue going by other posts on here (probably in the banking section).

One poster had trouble with the phone recognising him and put it down to lighting as it worked eventually in another location with better lighting.  Another poster couldn't read the intructions on his phone (maybe the same guy as posted on Page 1 in this thread with what sounds like a similar issue).

Up to you to interpret as you like. Suggest you go to your bank and have it explained to you, as you are not understanding the requirements. Over and out.

1 minute ago, couchpotato said:

Up to you to interpret as you like. Suggest you go to your bank and have it explained to you, as you are not understanding the requirements. Over and out.

I'm not interpreting anything, just reading what others have experienced and reported on here.

Look for Pib's photos on this thread regarding BBL.  The other poster mentioning his glasses is on there too and it's not the same guy as earlier in this thread.  So three people having used their phones for facial verification gives a fair confidence level that's how it works.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1293171-krungsri-50k-transfer-photo-requirement/

I'm not sure about your "over and out" statement.  Are you dictating your posts on a radio?

13 hours ago, Dan O said:

Kringrsri has been posting it for over a month and it's for everyone. A couple people keep claiming it's just a translation error but it's closer to poor internal communication at the banks.

Thai's have to bring the ID card and bank book, foreigners have to bring bank book and passport.

I did mine 2 weeks ago. The confusion is still between the banks, their branches and the banking regulators. The July date has been mentioned also for over a month

Krungsi have got it wrong. It's not possible to take a foreigners photo and then link it to a passport and bank account. The process involves scanning a Thai ID card, taking a photo and linking the ID data and photo to a bank account. Not possible with a passport. Also our local Krungsi branch is adamant that foreigners are NOT included as they do NOT have Thai ID cards

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:
18 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I wonder how Krungsri managed to take my photo then.

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

they my have taken your photo BUT it will not be linked to your account as you don't have a Thai ID card

I really not that fussed about it. The chances of me shifting 50k or more around are pretty remote anyway. At least I'm no longer getting that reminder on my phone every time I open the banking app.

On 6/5/2023 at 5:45 AM, alyx said:

50 K and 200 K are hardly high-value transaction imo

Don't forget that this is a measure aimed mainly at Thai customers.

I can assure you that for the average Thai, these would definitely be considered high value transactions.

Some banks don't even include foreigners in this. For instance, I made a transfer of over 50,000 baht from a Kasikorn bank account two days ago and there was no facial id required.

• Haha 1