Thai Banks are Starting to Require Facial Recognition for High-Value Transactions

webfact

On 6/5/2023 at 3:28 PM, WilliamSmits said:

This is rolling out now, also for foreigners.

My transfer of 50.000 thb was blocked and a message popped up to go to the bank with bank book & passport.

Couldn't be facial recognition that prevented the transfer as you claim, it hasn't started yet!   Original date quoted was June 23rd, now it's 1st July.

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Couldn't be facial recognition that prevented the transfer as you claim, it hasn't started yet!   Original date quoted was June 23rd, now it's 1st July.

Does it not depend on the bank? 

Krungsri.thumb.jpg.b79c436b51919a9c48974b29aa542368.jpg

On 6/6/2023 at 11:11 AM, GroveHillWanderer said:

I made a transfer of over 50,000 baht from a Kasikorn bank account two days ago and there was no facial id required.

That'd be because the regulation isn't in effect until 23rd June (originally, now 1st July)!

On 6/6/2023 at 1:11 PM, Dan O said:

Not correct as I stated I just went in begining of last week and did it at their request.  

The took my passport, my bank book and photo  and the updated my bank book so not sure what your talking about. 

Your also wrong about not being for foreigners as I have the notice that popped up every time I used the phone app clearly stating for foreigners.  Here's their notice, which stopped as soon as I did it:

If you haven't had your photo taken with us, please visit any Krungsri Bank branch with your ID card/passport (for foreigners) to register your face for identity verification in KMA starting from 27 June 2023 when transferring money 50,000 Baht or more per transaction and cumulative transfers of 200,000 Baht/day. 

It doesn't show any longer and hasn't done for a few weeks.

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That'd be because the regulation isn't in effect until 23rd June (originally, now 1st July)!

That wasn't the issue being dealt with in my post, but as I pointed out in two other posts, the requirement is already in effect for Thai customers at certain banks, including Kasikorn bank.

19 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They're not posting it on the app any longer and haven't been for at least a couple of weeks.

They were posting it until early last week on my phone app as I went in on Monday and after the picture was taken and passport info linked to acct thru there " new system" it stopped for me. I can't speak to anyone elses experience or whatever branch is used but they definetly update software as the branch manager had to come to the clerk and authorize the update. 

15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It doesn't show any longer and hasn't done for a few weeks.

Not true for me, I was receiving the notice on my phone app until I went in on Monday of last week. Once they updated the system with info the notice stopped. I can't speak to your experience but several others have posted the same info. 

Edited by Dan O
Spelling

Going to wait until after the 27 to go in.

I want to see it all up and running for us expats first.

We know what this lot are like.

Please can you come in again mister !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Computer says no. :whistling:

I'm in no hurry for there games.

TIT.

27.JPG

Edited by quake

10 hours ago, Sigma6 said:

Yes, and as a foreigner banking with Kasikorn, this is what you will see:

Try it: more / settings / facial verification with bank

I'm sure once they figure how how, it will be put in place for us.

The problem seems to be we all look the same to them. 

9 hours ago, digbeth said:

if the daily limit is still 200,000 for transactions, they can only move the money out 4 times a day, that might give time for the account to be reported and frozen.

Would it not mean such a transaction would actually take 4 days, not 4 separate transactions in a single day?

14 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

What, so you think I've just decided to lie about something as trivial and inconsequential as this?

I can absolutely guarantee you that for Kasikorn bank transactions, this is already in effect.

I just got her to try another 50,000 baht transfer, to double check.

After putting the account details and amount, and hitting "Confirm" this is the screen that appeared.

Screenshot_2023_0609_175636.png

Interesting because Kasikorn (1 of my 3 banks) have told me this does NOT apply to foreigners AND the only reason you would be getting this message at the moment is because your daily limit is set at lower than 50k. They have also confirmed this does NOT take effect until July 1.

37 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Interesting because Kasikorn (1 of my 3 banks) have told me this does NOT apply to foreigners AND the only reason you would be getting this message at the moment is because your daily limit is set at lower than 50k. They have also confirmed this does NOT take effect until July 1.

You don't seem to have read my posts. I clearly stated that I am not required to go through facial recognition and was able to do a 50,000 baht transfer without any such requirement, and that it is my wife (who is Thai) who is required to go through facial recognition for transfers of 50,000 or above.

16 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

You don't seem to have read my posts. I clearly stated that I am not required to go through facial recognition and was able to do a 50,000 baht transfer without any such requirement, and that it is my wife (who is Thai) who is required to go through facial recognition for transfers of 50,000 or above.

and you didn't read my comment. The reason your wife has received that message is because her daily limit is set at less than 50k. My wife just transferred 100k to my health fund (from her Kasikorn account) and she did NOT receive any message regarding facial recognition, and she has had her Thai ID card scanned and photo taken at the bank. Her daily limit is set at 150k whereas the default daily limit for most bank accounts appears to be 20k.

23 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

A bit off topic, but I have gotten in the habit of leaving my daily limit at 10K and just bump it up when I need to. 

Think you'll find in the future that changing limits will require going to the bank for facial verification.

On 6/5/2023 at 5:17 AM, Classic Ray said:

Started using the Bangkok Bank one after photo at local branch. 

Problem 1. Asked me to remove glasses before asking me to do range of other activities like smiling. Problem is could not read instructions without glasses.

Problem 2. Asked me to remove face covering in spite of being photographed at the bank with my white beard. Eventually had to cover beard with hand to be accepted.

Oh my - - what an ordeal they put you through!! Removing glasses and smiling? Then the ultimate task of covering the beard!! Who else could endure! It must be you. 

1 hour ago, couchpotato said:

Think you'll find in the future that changing limits will require going to the bank for facial verification.

Once you've had your 'facial recognition' photo done at your branch then you're set to go!

I have my daily transfer limit set to 50k. As an experiment, I've just (successfully) changed it to 2m by using the facial recognition system now in force. Bangkok Bank mobile banking. Immediately returned it to 50k, facial recognition not required when lowering the daily transfer amount. Easy Peasey. 

19 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

A bit off topic, but I have gotten in the habit of leaving my daily limit at 10K and just bump it up when I need to. 

Sounds good but if a facial recognition becomes standard to allow a change of limits, having to pop home or into a barbers for a shave before making a withdrawal would be an effort. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Sounds good but if a facial recognition becomes standard to allow a change of limits, having to pop home or into a barbers for a shave before making a withdrawal would be an effort. 

Facial recognition generally works with or without a beard, that has been my experience anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Well than why are you worried about "having to pop home or into a barbers for a shave before making a withdrawal..."? 

I thought we were discussing your bumping limits up and down. Facial recognition freaks out with my mug!

On 6/5/2023 at 11:01 AM, Tubulat said:

That's not always possible, for example i book a flight from 60,000 thb, how i can do multiple transfers?

Can't help you there. I go to ticket agents and pay cash. Do as little online money business as possible. I am an old fashioned cash and carry guy. The coming CBDC bullshjt stuff aggravates me to no end.

• Like 1

SCB has announced they're cancelling their internet banking service, moving their customers to app only in July

So far it's only 2 Banks, KTB and SCB that is closing internet banking making app and biometrics mandatory, I'm sure more will follow suit

They probably have the numbers on how many actually use the browser-based internet banking. 

I only use it occasionally now but it's useful for printing out statements