Thai Banks are Starting to Require Facial Recognition for High-Value Transactions

webfact

38 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Started using the Bangkok Bank one after photo at local branch. 

Problem 1. Asked me to remove glasses before asking me to do range of other activities like smiling. Problem is could not read instructions without glasses.

Problem 2. Asked me to remove face covering in spite of being photographed at the bank with my white beard. Eventually had to cover beard with hand to be accepted.

Yes that's progress, well Thai style progress.

imagine doing that at the airports around the world 

just to funny.

• Thanks 1

Went to my 3 banks, Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank, and Siam Bank all 3 said this was for thais only and will not affect foreigners. They refused to update the picture they had from when I opened the accounts. 

Edited by PattayaKevin
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

All the black money from corruption, drugs , human trafficking etc , will

continue to be moved about

Oh Good.........I was worried about .....

• Haha 2

Just keep your tranfers under B50,000 and do multiple online transfers, no fees yet for transfers at Bangkok bank. I could not be bothered to go to the bank when I got the message this month to go to the branch here in Pattaya.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ripper15 said:

Just keep your tranfers under B50,000 and do multiple online transfers, no fees yet for transfers at Bangkok bank. I could not be bothered to go to the bank when I got the message this month to go to the branch here in Pattaya.

That's not always possible, for example i book a flight from 60,000 thb, how i can do multiple transfers?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Started using the Bangkok Bank one after photo at local branch. 

Problem 1. Asked me to remove glasses before asking me to do range of other activities like smiling. Problem is could not read instructions without glasses.

Problem 2. Asked me to remove face covering in spite of being photographed at the bank with my white beard. Eventually had to cover beard with hand to be accepted.

In other words effin useless software.

• Thanks 1

I did it last week at a KrungSri branch in Hat Yai. There was some confusion and they admitted, that they aren't used to this system yet, but finally no problem. They used the passport instead of an ID and didn't say a word about different rules for foreigners.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On a recent trip back to the U.S., I was somewhat shocked when I arrived at the CBP (Customs and Border Protection) checkpoint at my arriving airport, and the officer there didn't even ask for or want to examine my U.S. passport.

Rather, he pointed a handheld camera/scanner at my face, and then a couple seconds later simply said.... "Thanks Mr. Tallguy. Welcome back to the U.S."

That was a new one for me...

Likewise, when at the airport in the U.S. preparing to board the flight back to BKK, the final entry gate before boarding the plane was controlled by facial scanning instead of presenting or scanning my printed boarding pass.

The times are a changin'...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1