For Donald Trump, the 2024 campaign is more than a race to return to the White House — it's a fight to stay out of prison.

onthedarkside

image.png.b0f25177f5e7af1585a6db5fd644af56.png

Legal experts say it's unlikely that Trump's criminal trial in federal court will be resolved before the November 2024 election. So whoever wins the presidency could be in position to influence Trump's case.

Why it matters: If Trump is the GOP nominee next year, he essentially could be campaigning for his freedom — an unprecedented scenario in the United States. Winning the presidency would give him a chance to install sympathetic Justice Department officials, or even try to pardon himself if he's convicted.

Such a pardon would be legally untested, but Trump, as president, was reported to have expressed interest in a self-pardon after his attempts to overturn the results of the 2020 election culminated in the riot at the Capitol.

READ MORE

https://www.axios.com/2023/06/10/now-2024-ballot-trump-freedom

image.png.c3b0bba65a99d753f8b900be448b7189.png

• Haha 1

Trump vows to stay in the race even if convicted

He sidestepped the possibility that he would pardon himself should he win the presidency in 2024. “I don’t think I’ll ever have to,” Trump said. “I didn’t do anything wrong.”

While Trump said campaign fundraising had skyrocketed since the indictment was issued, he conceded it was an unwelcome development.

“Nobody wants to be indicted,” said Trump. “I don’t care that my poll numbers went up by a lot. I don’t want to be indicted. I’ve never been indicted. I went through my whole life, now I get indicted every two months. It’s been political.”

READ MORE

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/06/10/trump-vows-to-stay-in-the-race-even-if-convicted-00101403

image.png.f230695955e90df6e52f2ec668870998.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

He'd be smart to make a deal with DeSantis or Christie, an endorsement plus help campaigning in return for a blanket pardon.

That might be illegal though?

Desantis has already promised to pardon him if elected. Yes that means Trump will help Desantis if nominated. 

Christie is a very long shot to be nominated. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Considering he went out for a leisurely game of golf after being indicted shows he doesn't gave a hoot about these political charges. 

Well, according to Jonathan Turley, he should. You may know who Turley is., He's one of the very few legal experts who supported Aline Cannon's decision to appoint a special master. He supported John Durham's investigation and prosecutions. He also believes that the Bragg prosecution of Trump is political. Yet here's what he says about this case:

New Trump indictment over documents is a 'whole different ballgame,' says Jonathan Turley

"It is an extremely damning indictment." 

https://www.foxnews.com/media/new-trump-indictment-documents-whole-different-ballgame-jonathan-turley

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

I went through my whole life, now I get indicted every two months. It’s been political.”

I wonder if the self inflicted gunshot wound to his foot will heal???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I believe his base will resort to violence in the street if sentenced for any of his crimes.

Let’s see who turns up to protest outside the court on Tuesday.

Who knows, he might be able to get a few folk from the Villages to drive down in their buggies.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xylophone said:

Or maybe he is just too dumb/stupid to understand the potential ramifications if he is found guilty! That seems to fit the bill.

I had another thought on that and maybe there is another reason, inasmuch as he thinks because he has been POTUS he can do anything he wants, coupled with the fact that he doesn't believe he's done anything wrong and neither can he because of his position and "perceived standing" (in his tiny mind) in the US. 

Therefore thinks he is above the rules/laws which govern others and US society.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

I had another thought on that and maybe there is another reason, inasmuch as he thinks because he has been POTUS he can do anything he wants, coupled with the fact that he doesn't believe he's done anything wrong and neither can he because of his position and "perceived standing" (in his tiny mind) in the US. 

Therefore thinks he is above the rules/laws which govern others and US society.

Not because he has been POTUS but because he feels he is still the rightful POTUS.

• Like 2