Roadway tragedy: Foreign motorcyclist’s fatal collision with street sign shakes Pattaya

snoop1130

59 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If you read right to the end of the report above, if you have the time, then we are told what happened by a named eye-witness. You don't even need to read the linked article. Why you are not able to understand 'An eyewitness, Wirat Wiratchalap, shared his account of the incident, stating that he saw the man driving at high speed before losing control of his motorcycle on a curve' is puzzling.

haha. you believe everything you read in the tabloid press. Says it all pal

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

My PCX can do similar speed on second road, bike size irrelevant. 

I'd say it's more an issue regarding Incompetence mixed with alcohol. 

While I generally agree, in all fairness, I think it's much easier to lose control of a bigger bike than a small one, particularly with a less experienced rider. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:
16 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Early hours of the morning, powerful motorcycle, high speed

29 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

High speed was quoted by a witness to the accident so unlike you, I'm not speculating. And as much as I like the PCX (I ride a scooter myself) speed wise it is no match for a Honda CB650R.

12 hours ago, Screaming said:

Big Bike, little Bike it really does not matter. Anyone who gets on a motorbike in Thailand has a death wish. Its only  a matter of time.

Love my Aeros. At age 76 I figure driving here is a sure test for Alzheimer’s  as all brain cells must be functioning or you are dead meat. Twelve years driving here and counting. Ironically, was involved in an accident during recent trip to USA. A bus, turning clipped my front fender when he entered my turn lane.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Who cares? I'll be dead! ????

What do you know about what really happened?

No matter what happened, a stray cat dashing out, an oil spill, if he's riding too fast to control his machine, it's still his fault!

Speed limits exist for a reason. 

And his flying bike could have killed you or I, had we been on the sidewalk there by a quirk of fate. 

It wasn't about the speed. Once again, another rider didnt know how to counter steer. 

An eyewitness, Wirat Wiratchalap, shared his account of the incident, stating that he saw the man driving at high speed before losing control of his motorcycle on a curve.

37 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

These accidents involving tourists almost always happen in curves. Why ? Because ppl don't actually know how to ride. They think they do but don't. They dont know how to counter steer. They literally steer the wrong way and the bike goes the opposite direction that they want to. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Harsh Jones said:

These accidents involving tourists almost always happen in curves. Why ? Because ppl don't actually know how to ride. They think they do but don't. They dont know how to counter steer. They literally steer the wrong way and the bike goes the opposite direction that they want to. 

If that were the case, would they not always crash going into the curve when they first turn the wrong direction? And how does speed-wobble play into it? 

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So had he been going slow, he would likely still have died? 

You have to understand the concept of counter steering at speeds in excess of 15-20 km/h. Especially on a bike like that.  So yes. He could have probably died going40 or 50 km/h. The point is, the speed was not the primary cause. 

23 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

If that were the case, would they not always crash going into the curve when they first turn the wrong direction? And how does speed-wobble play into it? 

The wobble is caused by fighting the lean by steering the wrong way

They fenagle their way through most of the time. As they gain confidence they probably start taking the curves a bit faster and thats when it happens.  That is why there's always accidents on longish rides too. Someone gains a bit of confidence putting their way around the city. And then they think they are finally skilled enough to ride from town A to town B. Through a bunch of speed curves. 

290px-Inoutrak.gif

Edited by Harsh Jones

42 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

You have to understand the concept of counter steering at speeds in excess of 15-20 km/h. Especially on a bike like that.  So yes. He could have probably died going40 or 50 km/h. The point is, the speed was not the primary cause. 

I think I understand the concept. 

Could have probably died? Which is it? 

What about 5-15kn/h?

34 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think I understand the concept. 

Could have probably died? Which is it? 

What about 5-15kn/h?

At 5-15 km/h, no counter steering or leaning is involved. You steer like you are driving a car. Or a lawn mower or anything. 

Whether he dies or spends 6 months and 80 grand at a hospital is besides the point. And opens a go fund me (like the last farang who couldn't steer through a curve) The main cause of the accident was not speed. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I think you're completely wrong regarding 'counter steering'.

I think it's nonsense to think that a rider would steer the wrong way in a curve because he didn't know how to 'counter steer'.

Of course it is intuitive. Nobody said it wasn't.

If you think it is just a fluke that these accidents happen in curves, you'd be "completely" wrong. If you think riders wouldn't steer the wrong way into things you'd be "completely" wrong too. And since you dug your heels in already, you will just say this guy was going too fast. 

• Haha 1

I am from Vancouver. In 2008, a Vancouver Canucks hockey player was killed when his motorcycle somehow crossed the centerline and head on into a semi truck. He had his motorcycle licence for 2 weeks.  Hmmm I wonder what happened... I have no idea...:blink: 

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2008/05/29/young-canuck-defenceman-killed-in-motorcycle-crash/

• Haha 1

3 different news clippings. I see a pattern... 

1)Swede dies in motorbike crash just 5 days after meeting Thai girlfriend

A 50-year-old Swedish national died immediately after his motorcycle overshot a curve in Roi Et’s Suwannaphum district on Saturday, just five days after he met his Thai girlfriend.

2)Motorbike crash kills Phuket man | Thaiger

Mar 2, 2023 — This tragedy comes after another motorbike crash in Thailand killed a ... He had reportedly crashed his motorbike while navigating a curve.

3) https://www.thephuketnews.com/woman-...road-87553.php

Mar 22, 2023 — Officers believe the motorbike was travelling at high speed when the driver lost control on the curve

• Haha 1

5 of the Most Dangerous, Accident-Prone Roads in Bangkok

1. The Curve in Front of Ratchada Shrine

According to recent information from the Accident Research Center in Thailand (June 10, 2022), Bangkok’s most dangerous, accident-prone road is the curve in front of the famous Ratchada Shrine, AKA “The Curve of 100 Bodies”.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

Of course it is intuitive. Nobody said it wasn't.

If you think it is just a fluke that these accidents happen in curves, you'd be "completely" wrong. If you think riders wouldn't steer the wrong way into things you'd be "completely" wrong too. And since you dug your heels in already, you will just say this guy was going too fast. 

It's an interesting video but it is not about steering through a bend, it's about hazard avoidance. Something that every motorcyclist needs to know of course.

I stand by what I said, a motorcyclist would not steer the wrong way when going into a bend. He wouldn't have got round the very first bend he encountered if he did not intuitively know how to counter steer. In fact the commentor says that in so many words. Quote: If you ride a motorcycle, you already know this'.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

You know nothing about what really happened I assume.

When you die do you want randoms saying BS about you?

Do YOU know exactly what happened?

Having read the report it seems that it was dark in the early hours of the morning, the rider was driving too fast on his Honda CB650R, lost control on a corner and hit a street sign. He subsequently died.

Now unless your name is Wirat Wiratchalap, you were not there either. An eyewitness, Wirat Wiratchalap, shared his account of the incident, stating that he saw the man driving at high speed before losing control of his motorcycle on a curve.

When you are dead it, doesn't matter what people say about you.

Edited by billd766
corrected some bad spelling

3 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

haha. you believe everything you read in the tabloid press. Says it all pal

Whilst you OTOH have no idea what happened at all. Press reports or not

Your post says far more about you.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Love my Aeros. At age 76 I figure driving here is a sure test for Alzheimer’s  as all brain cells must be functioning or you are dead meat. Twelve years driving here and counting. Ironically, was involved in an accident during recent trip to USA. A bus, turning clipped my front fender when he entered my turn lane.

I've read several times on this forum that us old folk shouldn't be riding motorcycles at our age because our reflexes are too slow!

I think that is nonsense. On the contrary I believe that riding a motorcycle regularly actually helps to keep one reflexes sharp. It's the well known principle of 'use them or loose them'. 

I'm 77 and still ride my Aerox regularly and my sharp reflexes have bailed me a few times on these sometimes crazy roads. That includes, by the way @Harsh Jones, using counter steering to get myself out of trouble.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1