Thaksin Insists On Returning Next Month Despite Family’s Warning

webfact

42 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

While Thaksin was PM of Thailand was his job to implement policies that benefit Thailand and Thais or was it his job to look after foreigners?

Jim, he certainly didn't look after foreigners, increasing the minimum amount of money for retirement visa to 800,000 baht from 200,000 baht. No foreigners were granted residency under his Interior Minister, Purachai's, watch. He refused the UN's request to investigate his extra judicial killings. And when his former American business partner tried to sue him for breaking their contract, he told him, TIT, this is Thailand 

Of course his job was to look after Thais, the name of his party told that, Thais Love Thais, but he certainly made life harder for many farangs, forced to leave their Thai families because their pensions didn't meet the raised minimum requirements.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

35 minutes ago, bannork said:

Jim, he certainly didn't look after foreigners, increasing the minimum amount of money for retirement visa to 800,000 baht from 200,000 baht. No foreigners were granted residency under his Interior Minister, Purachai's, watch. He refused the UN's request to investigate his extra judicial killings. And when his former American business partner tried to sue him for breaking their contract, he told him, TIT, this is Thailand 

Of course his job was to look after Thais, the name of his party told that, Thais Love Thais, but he certainly made life harder for many farangs, forced to leave their Thai families because their pensions didn't meet the raised minimum requirements.

It seems that Thailand had previously undervalued their visas. Why leave money in the table? Thaksin raised the prices and customers still flocked for the product. If I were a Thai tax payer, I’d be very happy with Thaksin’s adjustments.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bannork said:

Oh come on Jim, Thaksin did everything for himself. Like most Thai millionaires, the idea of philanthropy was alien to him.

I don't hold with the idea that FF needed Thaksin to come into existence. The young and not so young, were sick of the red/ yellow conflict, seeing one side as beholden to the military and conservatism whilst the other were beholden to the family clan of a billionaire.

They want change and they see it in MF 

Thaksin is a billionaire, it’s not surprising you got this wrong though seeing as the rest of your post is also factually devoid.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

From Thai people’s money….

From his business ventures;

Thaksin founded the mobile phone operator Advanced Info Service and the IT and telecommunications conglomerate Shin Corporation in 1987, ultimately making him one of the richest people in Thailand.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Thaksin is a billionaire, it’s not surprising you got this wrong though seeing as the rest of your post is also factually devoid.

Hey Jim, your hero first got rich through a monopoly, and guess who with? The military.

I remember the phone charges were extortionate, 500 baht a month if I recall correctly, but there was no rival.

From Wikipedia:

Advanced Info Service (AIS) was given a monopoly contract by Thaksin's military contacts in 1986 and used the GSM-900 frequency band. AIS grew rapidly and became the largest mobile phone operator in Thailand

Edited by bannork

18 minutes ago, bannork said:

Hey Jim, your hero first got rich through a monopoly, and guess who with? The military.

I remember the phone charges were extortionate, 500 baht a month if I recall correctly, but there was no rival.

From Wikipedia:

Advanced Info Service (AIS) was given a monopoly contract by Thaksin's military contacts in 1986 and used the GSM-900 frequency band. AIS grew rapidly and became the largest mobile phone operator in Thailand

Business as usual at the time, no? (Seems to me your admitting the whole show was corrupt before Thaksin arrived on the scene). New technologies are always expensive as they wait on uptake, and yes, the purpose of monopolies is high prices.

Thaksin’s political career was the beginning of the end of the monopoly nonsense for everyone in Thailand (thus the coups),

The man, though imperfect, did more good than bad (and the bad was often done only to please the establishment).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, billd766 said:

Well, he was legally elected as the PM, did a 4 year stint and stood for re-election which he won with an overall majority.

He was PM for another 2 years, making 6 years in all before the 2006 illegal military coup.

Shhhh...

Don't wanna disrupt the delusion. 

To this day, most still don't get it. 

He found his way to the top by illegal, criminal and unethical manner. 

Should be behind bars.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2023 at 11:06 AM, billd766 said:

Well, he was legally elected as the PM, did a 4 year stint and stood for re-election which he won with an overall majority.

He was PM for another 2 years, making 6 years in all before the 2006 illegal military coup.

First and only PM to serve a full term and first and only PM to be re-elected for a second consecutive term.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

First and only PM to serve a full term and first and only PM to be re-elected for a second consecutive term.

amazing what a few Baht can achieve, but by the same thinking amazing what a watch or two can do for you.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Artisi said:

amazing what a few Baht can achieve, but by the same thinking amazing what a watch or two can do for you.

If election victories could be bought so easily, that logic could be applied to any billionaire led party; MFP and Thanatorn, Bumjaithai and Anutin etc. 

• Like 2

On 6/15/2023 at 2:45 AM, flyingtlger said:

Let him come....Let's see if he can buy his way out.

Interesting point;

- This would display to all how deeply corrupt the country is. 

- Openly display to the whole country the loyalties of all, especially:

• Who the police are loyal to.
  • Who the military is loyal to.
  • Who the judiciary is loyal to.
  • Who the council of state is loyal to.

- and more...

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 6/15/2023 at 2:09 PM, Levi Patterson said:

I don’t know much about this man. However, I’ve had many conversations with Thai people about him, especially taxi drivers, some of my close Thai friends—many are wealthy business owners—and my wife. The overwhelming majority of them like Thaksin. Most say that the economy in Thailand was better during his administration. A friend of mine is a respected Thai lawyer. I asked him how he felt about Thaksin’s war on drugs. He said that many of his friends and colleagues didn’t openly discuss it but they were mostly in agreement with what he was doing. My wife on the other hand was born in Bangkok and she’s very conservative. I can’t mention his name in our residence because an argument would take place. The consensus from most of the Thais that I’ve spoken with mostly agree that he’s very smart. One taxi driver flat out said that if he returns, he’d be assassinated.

That the majority of people agrees does not justify shooting people on the street. Beside that many had nothing to do with narcotics and were just accidents, it complete destroys the system. The police can't just execute people, no judge needed.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

If election victories could be bought so easily, that logic could be applied to any billionaire led party; MFP and Thanatorn, Bumjaithai and Anutin etc. 

yes Thaksin bought the elections before easily and now Thanatorn bought it easily. BJ is not that rich but did well. The problem is that people take from all of them the money...but vote only for one...so one of the Oligarchs win.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Are you sure? He is at 5 year but I see several with 5 years and also 8 years and 9 years.

• Sad 2

I wonder what plans "Tony" made and with whom in order to grease the skids for his imminent 'home-coming.'  It will be a wonder to watch the justice system back in action when it comes to dealing with another billionaire Thai national.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 4:29 AM, geisha said:

I think that if there was a chance of prison, he definitely wouldn’t come back. 

Exactly - so why's he foreshadowing his own return, and what preparations where made to pave the path with rose pedals and paper-hearts, and possibly even a red carpet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow.

Have been closely monitoring the Shinawatra-based VoiceTV of the last couple of weeks. 

They sure have been active on this front and promotions thereof - the return. 

From the cryptic discussions, it appears that there has been a back room deal made by higher ups and the Thaksin camps. We'll see....

3 hours ago, h90 said:

Are you sure? He is at 5 year but I see several with 5 years and also 8 years and 9 years.

You need to read different news sources.

Can you name these wonderful people and the political party they belonged to?

3 hours ago, h90 said:

That the majority of people agrees does not justify shooting people on the street. Beside that many had nothing to do with narcotics and were just accidents, it complete destroys the system. The police can't just execute people, no judge needed.....

So how come many of these deaths (assassinations) were  openly mentioned / discussed as extra-judicial killings.

At the height of his arrogance there were several examples of his belief that he was above the law. And he absolutely controlled the police. The paymaster spoke, the police instantly jumped. The police were frightened of him, clear as a bell.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Love It 1

13 hours ago, scorecard said:

Interesting point;

- This would display to all how deeply corrupt the country is. 

- Openly display to the whole country the loyalties of all, especially:

• Who the police are loyal to.
  • Who the military is loyal to.
  • Who the judiciary is loyal to.
  • Who the council of state is loyal to.

- and more...

Some have always understood the continuous depth of corruption.......