Water rationing starts 1st July

Sutham said Samui needed 30,000 cubic metres of water a day. The majority, 24,000 cubic metres, would be brought to the island through an underwater pipeline from Surat Thani on the mainland, while reservoir supplies would be used for the remaining amount.

Now although I have seen new pipelines laid all over the island - it looks as if the pipeline water is delivered into the reservoirs - IS THAT CORRECT?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

Now although I have seen new pipelines laid all over the island - it looks as if the pipeline water is delivered into the reservoirs - IS THAT CORRECT?

Of course it is stored in reservoirs first,  the water flow from the mainland  would be severely restricted if it had to be pumped around the island by the mainland pumps.

Another reason is obvious from the meaning of word reservoir.

Edited by lom

9 hours ago, lom said:

Of course it is stored in reservoirs first,  the water flow from the mainland  would be severely restricted if it had to be pumped around the island by the mainland pumps.

Another reason is obvious from the meaning of word reservoir.

apparently not - I'm told from one source it goes into a sump and then into the new piped system around the island.

If it went into the exsiting reservoirs it would conflict with their water supplies and of course they only have a limited capacity which has been shown to be too little ofr the island.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, kwilco said:

apparently not - I'm told from one source it goes into a sump and then into the new piped system around the island.

Yes it does go into a sump (header tank)...it is then pumped from the header tank to the reservoirs. The header tank and pumps are 500mtrs up the road from my house

• Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 4:05 AM, Neilly said:

Yes it does go into a sump (header tank)...it is then pumped from the header tank to the reservoirs. The header tank and pumps are 500mtrs up the road from my house

can't see the point of putting it in the reservoirs as it is just r=taking the place of water that had previously been stored there.

Seems like the rain arrived and forecast is pretty lousy for visiting tourists like me.

Ohh well. At least it's good for the plants and hopefully can help with water issues.

Guess it time for the old hide and seek in bars between rain showers ????

Cheers ????

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Virt said:

Seems like the rain arrived and forecast is pretty lousy for visiting tourists like me.

Ohh well. At least it's good for the plants and hopefully can help with water issues.

Guess it time for the old hide and seek in bars between rain showers ????

Cheers ????

Do not worry.

Rain should stop tomorrow and things should be better by Wednesday.

We had a good downpour Friday night for a couple of hours and now we are back to drizzle.

Samui needs a couple of months of this before we see improvements but as you say, plants are happy.

https://www.windguru.cz/30397

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Neilly said:

Because that's how it gets distributed throughout the island

THe reservoirs are filled with rain water

THey have over the last few years laid down a load of pipes to connect to the undersea pipeline. which is part of the isands supply - so if the rain wter fills up th reserb=voir, where will the water from the pipeline go? - I guess it will just run off.

10 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Do not worry.

Rain should stop tomorrow and things should be better by Wednesday.

We had a good downpour Friday night for a couple of hours and now we are back to drizzle.

Samui needs a couple of months of this before we see improvements but as you say, plants are happy.

It's down to the ratio between storage and consumption.

If consumption is too high - a little rain won't make any difference.

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 8:13 PM, kwilco said:

THe reservoirs are filled with rain water

THey have over the last few years laid down a load of pipes to connect to the undersea pipeline. which is part of the isands supply - so if the rain wter fills up th reserb=voir, where will the water from the pipeline go? - I guess it will just run off.

The pumps are only run when when the water levels in the reservoirs drop to a certain level...they are not designed to run constantly

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Neilly said:

The pumps are only run when when the water levels in the reservoirs drop to a certain level...they are not designed to run constantly

But when the reservoirs are low on Samui the water is low on the mainland? So it is possible they may be able to fill up but as the water is also supplying three or 4 main ars on the mainland it would seem when there is space in the reservoir there will be no water to spare on the mainland. And if they DID replenish the reservoir and it rains over Samui, there would be less capacity to store the water from that.

Has they can control the flow, why don't they pump the water directly into the new pipe system they have laid down all over the island?

Edited by kwilco

6 hours ago, kwilco said:

Has they can control the flow, why don't they pump the water directly into the new pipe system they have laid down all over the island?

The pipes they laid are about a meter in diameter (one in, and two out to the reservoirs)...the only way you can control flow is through pressure...the amount of pressure needed to move water through a meter diameter pipe is quite a lot, so every house nearest the pumping station would have its pipes explode.

The pic below is of them laying the pipes in our road, there was one more added on top of the two you can see

20161115_125947 (Medium).jpg

• Like 1

Water rationing? As you turn into the road opposite Mit Samui Restaurant on Chaweng Lake Road, that leads to the temple, there is what looks to be a 10cm black plastic pipe that is leaking badly and has beenfor at least five days.

6 hours ago, Neilly said:

The pipes they laid are about a meter in diameter (one in, and two out to the reservoirs)...the only way you can control flow is through pressure...the amount of pressure needed to move water through a meter diameter pipe is quite a lot, so every house nearest the pumping station would have its pipes explode.

The pic below is of them laying the pipes in our road, there was one more added on top of the two you can see

20161115_125947 (Medium).jpg

Which Mainland reservoir do you believe the water is coming from?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kwilco said:

But when the reservoirs are low on Samui the water is low on the mainland?

There is little more downpour on the mainland during the dry period than on Samui. It's due to the south-west monsoon...

image.png.90654057736e93c22ee5de018aadf344.png

image.png.3604fb4fb149af40deec3256df747d88.png

The closer to the west coat, the more rain during the summer...

image.png.75cb6fe9ba469f9a28886617b3ddc99e.png

image.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

There is little more downpour on the mainland during the dry period than on Samui. It's due to the south-west monsoon...

image.png.90654057736e93c22ee5de018aadf344.png

image.png.3604fb4fb149af40deec3256df747d88.png

The closer to the west coat, the more rain during the summer...

image.png.75cb6fe9ba469f9a28886617b3ddc99e.png

image.png

yes -we all know that already. - what we don't know is how those figures will pan out this year especially for increased consumption.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kwilco said:

've heard to the contrary - that it was coming from 2 reservoirs on the Surat/Thammarat border. Katun and Khlong Din Daeng?

and those reservoirs are fed from Ratchaprapha. The Samui feed is just a continuation of of a water feed for the whole Suratthani, Nakorn Sri Tammarat area.

You can say that the water comes from Donsak if you want.. That is also correct.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lom said:

and those reservoirs are fed from Ratchaprapha. The Samui feed is just a continuation of of a water feed for the whole Suratthani, Nakorn Sri Tammarat area.

You can say that the water comes from Donsak if you want.. That is also correct.

Kathun and Khlong Din Daeng? I think not -

the official start of the pipeline is Phunphin District, 0 I seriously can't find ANY conclusive evidence to say where the water is coming from.

THe Ratchaprapha reservoir is highly controversial and already supplies several areas, I wonder if it would be acceptable for it to start feeding elsewhere? To me it looks like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, khunPer said:

If you check the daily downpour stats, you will know...:thumbsup:

No we need to know how much is being stored and much much is needed to be distributed and in the case of Samui relate that to the numbers of tourists. The original water allowance did not allow for the visitors as government funding was allocated according to permanent population not visiting.

20 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

It is possible to download monthly historical rainfall data from that site?

I had a look, but find it incredibly difficult to navigate. 

You seems to need to choose day-by-day in the drop down calendar. I don't know if there is any download possibility for the individual areas.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

There could be bad news for tourists at the weekend and good news for residents that are relying on the daggy water delivered in water trucks.

A couple of big storms forecast to arrive from Friday/Saturday.

Whilst the storms often 'die out' before they hit Samui, these ones are forecast to last a few weeks. Hopefully topping up the aquifers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2023 at 8:39 AM, Tropicalevo said:

There could be bad news for tourists at the weekend and good news for residents that are relying on the daggy water delivered in water trucks.

A couple of big storms forecast to arrive from Friday/Saturday.

Whilst the storms often 'die out' before they hit Samui, these ones are forecast to last a few weeks. Hopefully topping up the aquifers.

Well...it didn't happen. Still need to water the plants, but we have a well which is never short of water.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

Well...it didn't happen. Still need to water the plants, but we have a well which is never short of water.

Most of the country is verging on water shortages now - thanks in part to El Nino effect.

THere may be rain but it is quantity and storage that is important. 

If levels on the mainland are low then the amount available for the Samui pipelines will be low too.

• Like 1