DSI Raids Accounting and Law Firm in Phuket Allegedly Being Illegal Nominee for Foreigners

webfact

Just now, NatureFilm said:

In my condo the real FQ is over 70% and many other condos probably over 90%. Will be interesting, when they start to "investigate" the FQ of condos in Thailand 

Really? How did the land department accept that? I shouldn't ask, we own one condo and from what the office tells me it is well below the 49% as a friend of mine wanted to buy one, Nothing surprises me here, 

11 hours ago, jcmj said:

And just one more reason Thailand is not a suitable place to push for retirees. This rears its head every few years then goes away, but you never know when they might go full force. However, don’t be fooled that buying in FQ is 100 safe. If the government doesn’t want foreigners to own property they can revoke that as well. And if you don’t believe me look what happened in Mexico many years ago. They took everything back. Sure hope they wouldn’t go that far, but this is Thailand and they do what they want when they want. 

As a matter of fact I remember a Canadian couple who bought and paid for a condo years ago when this happened.When they went south to stay at their condo they were not allowed near the place.Total loss and zero recourse.

2 hours ago, BritScot said:

Technically an American can (enough to build a nice house on) the big However, is as far as I'm aware no land department in Thailand has ever granted a grain of Thai soil to an American. 

Correct, this was some old rule since vietnam war iirc as US built the airports here.
was limited to 1 rai.

19 minutes ago, NatureFilm said:

But I think, they won`t target "owning" a ordinary house or condo via a small company, as long yearly accounting is done.

If they did they could have every house in my soi, almost, 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, webfact said:

40 staffers and the company has been operating for more than 15 years.”

“There are about 100 companies which have been registered by foreigners with this company.

The paperwork sounds horrible if it took 40 staffers to register only 100 companies in 15 years! ????

Edited by SiSePuede419
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

They also do normal accounting services. I know because I am their client. My work permit comes up at the end of August, extension of stay in November. So I still have some time.

15 hours ago, ukrules said:
16 hours ago, webfact said:

Of those, 44 companies are involved with land which have cost about 100 million baht of damages.

Damages? What was damaged?

It was clearly a reference to the value of land being put under the control of foreigners, illegally, thus Thailand is the damaged party.

14 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

Those poor people who get duped into believing they can own property in Thailand. You can't. 

"Those poor people who get duped..."

Those "poor people" who insist on promulgating false information.  Foreigners can own property in Thailand, they cannot own land (apart from some exceptions that do not apply to most foreigners).

12 hours ago, ChipButty said:

what goes on its not big secret, so now what they going to do about it? start arresting the Farang? 

It's not beyond the realms of possibility to arrest those foreigners committing offences in this manner.  Their illegally obtained land could be confiscated also.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, biggles45 said:

If the foreigner dies, are the Thai shareholders entitled to 51% of the sale price

Depends on what happens regarding the inheritance of the foreigners share, in a legal deal (which these in question are not) the property may not necessarily be put up for sale.

33 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It was clearly a reference to the value of land being put under the control of foreigners, illegally, thus Thailand is the damaged party.

Yes, I know - and it's complete nonsense, isn't it?

LOL, this going on as the Youtube punters are advertising new high end homes aimed at the foreign retirees. Lawyers buying advertising spots on the internet and putting up Youtube talks of buying property in Thailand.  Just another example of  corruption and illegal activity going on, that targets the foreigners.  

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

The reporting makes things very unclear. As I understand it the thai nominees are in trouble because they helped circumvent property ownership laws. I don’t understand the reference to evading property tax by buying and selling company shares instead of the land itself. Sure, property tax is avoided by doing that, share stamp duty is paid instead, but it’s not illegal. Unless of course it is done via nominees and all in the pursuit of evading property ownership laws.

I see reference in posts to FQ. That of course only apply a to condos. There is no FQ for landed properties and the article does not indicate whether it is landed or condo property involved.

anyway, a big fuss because something got too big to be ignored, then it will be back to normal again

All seem to be doing their jobs..

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Those "poor people" who insist on promulgating false information.  Foreigners can own property in Thailand, they cannot own land (apart from some exceptions that do not apply to most foreigners).

Why would anyone build a property on the land they can't own. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bim Smith said:
12 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why would anyone build a property on the land they can't own. 

Ask them, not me but it is a legal option that is open to foreigners.

16 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Really? How did the land department accept that? I shouldn't ask, we own one condo and from what the office tells me it is well below the 49% as a friend of mine wanted to buy one, Nothing surprises me here, 

simple. its marked on the Chanoet, as to whether it is freehold to foreiegners (49%). if it isnt then anyone who bought without that protection is deaf, dumb and blind ????

On 6/16/2023 at 3:34 AM, ukrules said:

Damages? What was damaged?

Sounds like they're making stuff up to me.

The article is complete nonsense if they're talking about tax, how does a Thai owned company do this when the company changes ownership?

Not sure what they mean about tax - the land tax has to get paid, upon registration, even if the ''owner'' is a Thai national.  The bigger issue is income tax avoided by all these companies -  it is payable every year. There's gonna be some unhappy Russians., not to mention the Brit who facilitated 15 years of scemeing.   

18 hours ago, NatureFilm said:

But I think, they won`t target "owning" a ordinary house or condo via a small company, as long yearly accounting is done.

why would you say that?  the law is the law.. or do you think the big fish will keep them busy?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Seeall said:

why would you say that?  the law is the law.. or do you think the big fish will keep them busy?

I believe that they will coordinate with the CBD and the tax dept. its not a matter that 'the accounting' gets done. I lease ''my'' land and house from a Thai company. I pay rent and the company pays tax on that income. Guess how many of these scams go through that process?   and no, my accountant's staff do not act as nominees. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1