Repeated Incidents of Railway Crossing Barriers Impaling Cars Raise Safety Concerns

webfact

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

This particular crossing has been installed at an insane angle to the tracks…..no thought at all by the designers.

Uhhhm someone likely hit it and knocked it to the "insane" angle at some point prior to the most recent accident. 

Incidentally, the arms on the crossings in the US use break-off bolts so when you hit them they just bust off. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Don't the lights and bells start well before the barrier drops?

They were obviously trying to beat the barrier.

A typical not my fault excuse, obviously trying to beat the closing barrier

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Crossy said:

Long, long ago (2005 ish), myself and a couple of colleagues had a contract to survey all SRT crossings in an area covering Bangkok up to Ayutthaya and across to Chachoengsao. We drove many hundreds of km and visited a heck of a lot of crossings.

The aim was to cost out refurbishment and upgrade to said crossings.

The actual survey results are lost in the annals of time but the stand-out memory is that the number of crossings where one or more of 

• Warning lights (red flashing and rotating yellow)
  • Annoying "pling-pling" sound
  • Barriers
  • Train driver warning signs

didn't function was worrying.

Many crossings had a manually operated barrier instead.

Sadly, the estimated cost of fixing all this stuff scared SRT and the job wasn't given to my employer. I doubt that many crossings ever got sorted properly ????

On the positive side we did get to meet a lot of interesting people and scare my mum in law by turning up unexpectedly (her home was next to a crossing in Ban Pha-Chi).

No hab budget.

==========

Reminds me of 2013 when I got to inspect 70 each HMMWV (Humvee) Army trucks headed to Sudan on a UN mission. These were Vintage 1985-86 model trucks. I had a stack of paperwork 6 inches thick documenting why 43 of them should not even be driven out the gates of the Army base. What is is known in in the industry as DEAD-LINED/UNSAFE TO OPERATE. Steering linkage falling apart, leaking brake calipers etc...

They smiled at me, painted them white and shipped them out.

Thailand has spent 70 years avoiding improving their rail system. Only now, are they beginning to wake up. The cost to the nation is horrific. Alot of the traffic congestion on the roads is due to a lack of an alternative cargo transportation system, that could have been addressed by rail, decades ago. Instead the highways are literally choked with trucks of all sizes, hogging the fast lanes, with a complete lack of any sort of deterrent. It is an ugly, sickening, disgusting, and foul situation. It is so much harder to get around, than it needs to be. One administration after another is at fault. Though I dislike Prayuth and his goons immensely, at least they are beginning to deal with this enormous issue.

2022-10-08-07.41.21-800x445.jpg

180517160149-24-makkasan.jpg

Photo_3_1.jpg

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

he noticed that the barrier was not lowered. He looked left and right before attempting to cross the tracks. Unexpectedly, the barrier suddenly descended rapidly, impaling his vehicle.

If the barrier was up, and the lights were not flashing, why would you need to almost stop to look left and right Oh I forgot TIT.   He is a Cop so must be telling the truth init :giggle:

I'm surprised his pants didn't catch fire... maybe too wet....:cheesy:

Edited by brianthainess
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Don't the lights and bells start well before the barrier drops?

Not at the railway crossing in Buriram.

Bells and lights and barrier-lowering all at the same time.

The man in the trackside shed doesn't give a monkeys about what is happening on the crossing.

I have seen slow moving traffic get trapped between the barriers. Fortunately the man in the trackside shed saw it too and raised the barrier to allow the car to proceed and get off the track.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand has spent 70 years avoiding improving their rail system. Only now, are they beginning to wake up. The cost to the nation is horrific. Alot of the traffic congestion on the roads is due to a lack of an alternative cargo transportation system, that could have been addressed by rail, decades ago. Instead the highways are literally choked with trucks of all sizes, hogging the fast lanes, with a complete lack of any sort of deterrent. It is an ugly, sickening, disgusting, and foul situation. It is so much harder to get around, than it needs to be. One administration after another is at fault. Though I dislike Prayuth and his goons immensely, at least they are beginning to deal with this enormous issue.

2022-10-08-07.41.21-800x445.jpg

180517160149-24-makkasan.jpg

Photo_3_1.jpg

Quite a lot of freight trains in Thailand, given the size. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Quite a lot of freight trains in Thailand, given the size. 

Incorrect. Thailand has one of the lowest levels of goods moved by freight, in the developing world. I live close to the north/south main rail, and barely ever see a cargo train. If I see one, it has 8 cars. It is both a shame and an abomination. Total neglect.

Want to see what a real freight train looks like, just look at the trains in the US, where massive amounts of goods are moved around by rail, thereby freeing up the need for many, many more trucks on the highways.

37199184392_7509c87224_o-scaled.jpg

103083f72147936d7866f949b6fd9c03.jpg

On 6/16/2023 at 8:05 AM, Crossy said:

Sadly, the estimated cost of fixing all this stuff scared SRT and the job wasn't given to my employer. I doubt that many crossings ever got sorted properly ????

Makes perfect sense to me.    Why not save the cost of upgrades and  just not worry about a few deaths.        :cheesy:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Incorrect. Thailand has one of the lowest levels of goods moved by freight, in the developing world. I live close to the north/south main rail, and barely ever see a cargo train. If I see one, it has 8 cars. It is both a shame and an abomination. Total neglect.

Want to see what a real freight train looks like, just look at the trains in the US, where massive amounts of goods are moved around by rail, thereby freeing up the need for many, many more trucks on the highways.

Not sure where you are, but there are plenty of coal trains and some container trains as well. 

Given Thailand's  population density and production/population proximity to the seaports, extensive freight lines make little sense. 

About half the containers from China are unloaded at Los Angeles and Long Beach. Loading a train to move 400 containers from the Southern California thousands of miles across the county makes a lot of sense. Loading a train go 100 miles from Laem Chabang to Bangkok does not. 

• Thanks 1