Connecting plot to electricity and water, who pays for this?

I'm currently looking at an empty plot of land.

When I talked with the owner, I got the info that electricity and water are ready.

The plot of land is next to a side road, which connects to a slightly bigger road.

The slightly bigger road has houses, electricity, water etc, but I would be the first one to build something in this side road.

The small road has power poles, also in front of the land that I'm looking at, but there are no cables installed yet.

Who pays for the installation of these maybe 20 meters of cable and water pipe to connect my plot of land?

Does PEA/PWA do this for free when I apply to get the meters, or would I have to pay this?

In case I would have to pay for this myself, what do you think which costs would this involve? (concrete power poles are there, but no cables, and and no water pipe, distance about 20 meters to the next power lines, and water should be somewhere there as well)

Update:

According to the owner there is a water pipe at the plot. I didn't see it yet, but might be buried under some dirt, I might have to bring a shovel to confirm this.

So the only remaining question now is, who pays for the installation of 20 meters of power lines to the plot.

Edited by FriendlyFarang

On a new property in Bangkok the buyer pays, or the builder includes it as a freebie - although the costs are real and as charged by the authorities - it was about 6k for water and 6k for electric including the meters if I remember correctly. Appointments were about a week out.  Water guy dug down about 1metres to connect to the mains and up to meter and to main house inlet.  Took about an hour.

Electric was done in 15 minutes as the work rapid those guys. I just share these figures as a ballpark as your scenario is slightlty different, we are talking about 6 metres to the pole where they attached it to two of three phases, I expect you'll  be adding on another few thousand for 20m

Edited by farang9392
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, farang9392 said:

On a new property in Bangkok the buyer pays, or the builder includes it as a freebie - although the costs are real and as charged by the authorities - it was about 6k for water and 6k for electric including the meters if I remember correctly. Appointments were about a week out.  Water guy dug down about 1metres to connect to the mains and up to meter and to main house inlet.  Took about an hour.

Electric was done in 15 minutes as the work rapid those guys. I just share these figures as a ballpark as your scenario is slightlty different, we are talking about 6 metres to the pole where they attached it to two of three phases, I expect you'll  be adding on another few thousand for 20m

Thanks for your reply, so now I know already that I will have to pay for it.

If you paid 6k for 6 meters, then I guess 20 meters shouldn't be more than 20k, probably less.

It's a point I can mention when I negotiate the price.

If you also need a transformer   ?  it could be a lot more when I did my project 20 years ago  we had to have a well drilled as no mains available  and a transformer as no other property within 600m  cost me about 300k back then

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

the problem is that once you paid to 'extend' the power's company reach, it's not exclusively yours, should you have a neighbour further down the road in your street, they could connect up to the poles you paid to 'extend' from the main road

15 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Thanks for your reply, so now I know already that I will have to pay for it.

If you paid 6k for 6 meters, then I guess 20 meters shouldn't be more than 20k, probably less.

It's a point I can mention when I negotiate the price.

I've paid nothing to get hooked up to 3 phase Power Supply, they had to install even two more Power Poles. Only costs been for the installation of the Meter, what is at normal rate some hundred Baht.

Edited by UWEB
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, farang9392 said:

Same here but we had to install a few poles for electric.  It was around 17,000 baht and booked 2 weeks ahead.  Water was cheap, it was just a PVC Pipe, had to pay for the 600 baht water meter. 

5 minutes ago, UWEB said:

I've paid nothing to get hooked up to 3 phase Power Supply, they had to install even two more Power Poles. Only costs been for the installation of the Meter, what is at normal rate some hundred Baht.

Nice.

Where are you located? 

For the power, talk to your local PEA office, take a Google map of the location.

You will also need to know roughly what size service you will need, out in the sticks anything over 45A / 3-phase is likely to be needing your own transformer which will add $$$ to the price ???? But talk to the man, deals can be struck!

Water will be pretty much the same idea. You need to know the size of the service needed although adding a large storage tank would help mitigate an under-sized supply pipe.

What sort of commercial venture are we looking at?

4 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

According to the owner there is a water pipe at the plot. I didn't see it yet, but might be buried under some dirt, I might have to bring a shovel to confirm this.

What you also need to find is the water meter.

other options instead of paying the electricity company to 'extend' their service area out of your pocket where anyone else that come after you in the soi could also enjoy at your expense, is that you could opt to have your electricity meter located at the main road, and the cable run from your meter to your premise is yours to maintain

5 hours ago, digbeth said:

the problem is that once you paid to 'extend' the power's company reach, it's not exclusively yours, should you have a neighbour further down the road in your street, they could connect up to the poles you paid to 'extend' from the main road

Well good chance he will be connecting to an extension somebody else paid for.  So hard to call it a problem 

55 minutes ago, digbeth said:

other options instead of paying the electricity company to 'extend' their service area out of your pocket where anyone else that come after you in the soi could also enjoy at your expense, is that you could opt to have your electricity meter located at the main road, and the cable run from your meter to your premise is yours to maintain

So what is the problem if someone connects further on, the wires or the electric is not yours.

Meter on the main road, and cable run from there will never be yours, because the poles are on public property

• Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, BenStark said:

So what is the problem if someone connects further on, the wires or the electric is not yours.

Meter on the main road, and cable run from there will never be yours, because the poles are on public property

they can't connect to your cable run, as that's stealing power from behind your meter, 
they would have to run their own cable and place the meter at the main road too

or if they decide to pay the electric company to extend the service area to the back of the soi, normally if you're being a nice neighbour, you're supposed to chip in and share the cost, or you can be anal about it and after they've paid to have the electric company run poles and wires down the soi, just ask the electric company to move the meter to one of the poles that's now outside your property and they can't do anything

again with sharing of the cost, should the guy at the front of the soi pay as much as the guy in the back to run the poles and cable? and in case where putting the meter on the main road is an option, why bother at all?

58 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Oh I understand in case where you paid for the electric company to extend their 'service area' to your property and someone further down the soi connects
It's not a problem, yes you don't own it but if you paid for the soi to be wired, you'd be annoyed if the guy that came later can connect with no hassle
if you're fine with the concept then there's no problem, 

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Turns out that they will actually install the cable to the front of the land for free.

The guy at the PEA office had to see the chanote and then look it up on his computer to see if it's free for me or not.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Like 2

On 6/18/2023 at 2:35 PM, Crossy said:

You will also need to know roughly what size service you will need, out in the sticks anything over 45A / 3-phase is likely to be needing your own transformer which will add $$$ to the price ???? But talk to the man, deals can be struck!

Update:

Turns out that they will actually install the cable to the front of the land for free.

The guy at the PEA office had to see the chanote and then look it up on his computer to see if it's free for me or not.

The PEA is a kind of QUANGO and they will have rules that they have to follow set out by central government to provide a minimum service area along public roads/rights of way as part of the country's wider infrastructure development planning. This may or may not be to your advantage. Only they will have this information of course for your area and 'your' road. It's usually massively to your advantage to go with a 'cost share' to have the PEA extend their service footprint to your gate and deploy the meter there, because the alternative is you paying for all the ONGOING (i.e. forever) cable losses when the meter is half a mile down the road.

If you have to pay for a transformer, don't ever make the mistake of thinking your will ever own it, and believe me that's not something you want unless you're a medium/large commercial enterprise. . . We have four transformers, and together they burn through almost 10,000 Baht per month just be energised and make that gentle hummmmmmmmmming sound (quiescent current).
You also have to get the transformer oil checked every few years. You also have to call the PEA out to swap out the expulsion fuses when a snake ends it's life on or near the transformer (and they WILL give you the bill). Really, this is not something you want. Share the cost of installation with the PEA and it's all their responsibility thereafter.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1