Banks refusing to witness Life Certificates for UK Pension Service now?

pollyog

24 minutes ago, transam said:

So you have no evidence.................:coffee1:

Yes, the evidence is, I don't believe there's been even an attempt at prosecution for fraud when it comes to claiming a UK pension abroad. Show me one. It'll be the one that proves the rule. One! Or, show me evidence to the contrary. Innocent until you can prove otherwise!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Think about it. Somebody at the DWP is going to ring Thailand and ask to speak to an unpronounceable Thai name. Never heard such nonsense. It's all just box ticking. It's like when people say UK border force is watching you!

Of course, they won't, but it is foolish to say they don't look at "any" guarantors....????

1 minute ago, bradiston said:

Yes, the evidence is, I don't believe there's been even an attempt at prosecution for fraud when it comes to claiming a UK pension abroad. Show me one. It'll be the one that proves the rule. One! Or, show me evidence to the contrary. Innocent until you can prove otherwise!

You don't believe......................????

Case dismissed................????

I have just been speaking with the IPC on another matter and they have informed me that regarding your LC, they will accept a letter from your Thai bank (where payments are credited) that you are currently the account holder, signed and stamped.  Therefore, the witness declaration can be left blank.

14 minutes ago, glegolo18 said:

I do not wish to "rain on your british parade". But if you like to know that we in Sweden and probably the rest of the scandinavian countries, have something we call a "Bank ID", which is downloaded into our computers or mobile phones.

For me, I go directly to the Retirement-department online and identify myself with my Bank ID and directly within one second I have done my yearly Life-certificate....

Maybe you guys should try to influence your country to come into the modern world????

I know this do not help you, but at least show you that another world is existing out there..

Sorry, the UK cannot afford that

7 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Sorry, the UK cannot afford that

It is costing absolutely nothing and it is the banks that are distributing and offering these Bank ID;s for free.... It is a tremendous idea and it is so heavy great to have this now in our lifes. Sorry for you guys....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, tgw said:

how about going to a notary ?

the fee shouldn't be exorbitant

My friend paid 1k and the guy couldn't even read English, he gave about 5 copies one of his ID, his 'diploma', his photo in a gown, ......

45 minutes ago, glegolo18 said:

Maybe you guys should try to influence your country to come into the modern world????

German Pension office last year started a trial with "Postident" mobile phone app that basically consists of uploading passport pages and then taking a short video clip of the face (within the app).

I did it successfully last year but this year I will get me a stamped form so that I can send a copy to the company pension office which is behind modern times.:biggrin: (this Postident just leaves an identification completed message on the screen. Quite useless.

Last time for the company pension I used a bilingual form (English/Thai) from the Swiss(!) pension office and had it stamped by the subdistrict major. No fee.

German pension office has bilingual forms for misc languages but of course not for Thai.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Just had similar problems. My Int. Hospital where I have spent loads of money refused to sign it. They just say "cannot" ask why "cannot" In the end I had to go to a local lawyer and they wanted 3,000 baht. I said I would pay 2,000 baht. I did this because I knew I would just get the run-around. So frustrating, they just do not understand there is no accountability towards them. Pathetic.

On top of that DWP sent the certificate in January, I never received it. I emailed DWP as they postponed payment, and they sent another through email (this week) Just sent a completed form today. They will not accept electronic mail so have to wait for post again.

So frustrating.

On 6/19/2023 at 3:34 PM, stereolab said:

Your first priority is to close the 2 accounts, and scout around for a bank that wants your money AND will sign your LC.

My four banks in Pattaya and my doctor always refuse to sign. Last time I used the police station on Beach Rd next to Central Mal. Cost 200 baht but completely problem free. They know exactly what's needed.

8 minutes ago, keithkarmann said:

Asking for a friend whose pension is not frozen. Would the DWP become suspicious if it was witnessed in Thailand.

I witnessed a number of forms in Thailand and posted them when l visited the UK a week later, obtaining a free proof of postage from a Post Office.

No questions were asked, though l did include a note explaining what l’d done.

l think you’re right though, questions could well be asked if somebody whose pension wasn’t frozen witnessed that they’d had actually seen the original passport, a note of explanation might probably suffice and allay any suspicions.

2 hours ago, transam said:

You don't believe......................????

Case dismissed................????

I couldn't be bothered to look it all up again. We've been here before. The thread was massive. People did a lot of research. My recollection is, there were "virtually no instances", if any, of overseas UK pensioners being pursued for possible fraud by HMRC or DWP.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

So your recommendation is to throw a tantrum? ????

No.   But  I would not accept them NOT signing a simple form. My bank does sign my LC, for both my pensions. Furthermore I also telephone the DWP to confirm receipt of my LC. No tantrums involved.

1 hour ago, remobb said:

Just had similar problems. My Int. Hospital where I have spent loads of money refused to sign it. They just say "cannot" ask why "cannot" In the end I had to go to a local lawyer and they wanted 3,000 baht. I said I would pay 2,000 baht. I did this because I knew I would just get the run-around. So frustrating, they just do not understand there is no accountability towards them. Pathetic.

On top of that DWP sent the certificate in January, I never received it. I emailed DWP as they postponed payment, and they sent another through email (this week) Just sent a completed form today. They will not accept electronic mail so have to wait for post again.

So frustrating.

I'll do it for 1000 THB. I have a masters (MA) from a top UK university. That makes me insanely clever, trustworthy, honest, AND verifiable in the UK. Roll up, roll up!

What about a YouTube influencer? They're famous, rich, highly respected members of the community. Plenty of them in Thailand.

Or a dope dealer? Professional herbal health consultant.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I'll do it for 1000 THB. I have a masters (MA) from a top UK university. That makes me insanely clever, trustworthy, honest, AND verifiable in the UK. Roll up, roll up!

What about a YouTube influencer? They're famous, rich, highly respected members of the community. Plenty of them in Thailand.

Or a dope dealer? Professional herbal health consultant.

Or a UK retiree with a frozen pension should be easy to find in Thailand