Banks refusing to witness Life Certificates for UK Pension Service now?

pollyog

On 6/20/2023 at 7:49 AM, tgw said:

how about going to a notary ?

the fee shouldn't be exorbitant

On 6/20/2023 at 9:48 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Thread in Pattaya forum, you live in Pattaya? Is the position of the consul vacant?

I read something about a consul retiring from the job.

Next month I will use service of the German consul for life certificate and income statement (I am not British and not German).

For a fee he might put a stamp even on a UK form?

I am a British subject resident in the Moscow region.

I need someone to witness my signature on a simple English language form. The form

is a life certificate (IPC SU 698). I need it to continue receiving my state pension, which

payment has been suspended since February 2023.

The problem is that the British Embassy refuse to witness the signature. No Russian will

sign it, whether they understand the English form or not. Apparently under Russian law

they cannot sign it unless it is translated, apostatized, red-tape etc. That costs over $1,000. I don’t have such money, and my income has been stopped. I have made enquiries from English speaking Lawyers in Russia and that was their answer by email.

There is no internet assistance, just plain old fashioned unreliable, letter posting.

Banks refusing to witness Life Certificates for UK Pension Service now?

Bkk Bank has been doing that for a while now, so went to the local medical clinic where I had a wound dressed and got the receptionist to sign the form and stamp it with the clinic stamp........no problems and it was accepted by the pension people.

My local Doctor did it for free and he was able to stamp it officially as required by the covering letter I received. I am talking UK Government, February, 2023

For those who wish to state that an Official stamp of Witness is not required, I can supply Documentary proof!!

17 hours ago, a340bangla1 said:

Not verified but: Somebody told just me this morning that the police station at Soi 9 (close to Central Festival) will gladly render the service for 200 B.

Mine will come up in about 6 weeks and will then test it.

Yes, I have been told that too... they will sign and stamp anything for a bit of money. There is sometime a falang assistant in there that would guide you towards getting it done. 

On 6/19/2023 at 3:04 PM, pollyog said:

to act as witness to ID for the compulsory Life Certificate to continue getting my pathetic frozen pension. 

Sometimes I do not understand the mentality of people just not have an extended break back home - even in a B and B - and resetting their pension to any new amount. With the recent large increases in UK pensions it would be worth it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

My local Doctor did it for free and he was able to stamp it officially as required by the covering letter I received. I am talking UK Government, February, 2023

For those who wish to state that an Official stamp of Witness is not required, I can supply Documentary proof!!

A stamp is not required for DWP life certificates. Fact.

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Sometimes I do not understand the mentality of people just not have an extended break back home - even in a B and B - and resetting their pension to any new amount. With the recent large increases in UK pensions it would be worth it.

I don't believe it is that easy. You have to commit to returning to live in the UK, and there may be a minimum wait time.  I think a week in a Blackpool B&B would be far too much!

My military pension was withheld this month. They've sent me a form via email yesterday. It lists who can be a witness. On the election role, doctors, banks and Lawyers.

This morning refused at Bangkok Bank, Hospital and Clinics and the lawyer wanted B2000.

I might add that I'm resident in Italy but in Thailand at the moment. Looking at awarding my partner with a Doctorate to overcome the problem.

4 hours ago, PPGuy said:

Thai Euro Law Office.

I have used it a number of times and the going rate for the notary service was always Bt500.

I also however not for a few years. If anybody does go it would be useful to know if they maintained that price or have increased it, which I would not be at all surprised.

5 minutes ago, topt said:

I also however not for a few years. If anybody does go it would be useful to know if they maintained that price or have increased it, which I would not be at all surprised.

Last used by me in May this year. Cost was Bt500.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You do understand Thailand "notary" is in name only and not internationally official.  Thailand never signed on.

https://thailawonline.com/public-notary-in-thailand/

I use the one found in Hua Hin near Makro and what I see is that it's a notary with an official document who makes me a copy to send together with my declaration of life.

And never problem and I don't care what you said.

5 hours ago, a340bangla1 said:

I get my pension from the Swiss AHV and their letter always comes about this time of the year.

OK, that wasn't very obvious.

The OP  was regarding UK state pension which I believe is done on a random basis.

My UK private pension has only sent out one in 16 years and that was about 10 years ago.

4 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

My military pension was withheld this month.

Some years ago my UK private pension suddenly stopped. I rang them up and they said a LC had been sent out but was returned to sender. I asked if they would be sending out another and they said it wouldn't be necessary, they don't talk to the dead. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

So when I send you proof, can I expect an apology?

No.

I sign about 20 of these every year. Stamp not required.

Join the dots from here:-

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad/report-a-change-in-your-circumstances

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

No.

I sign about 20 of these every year. Stamp not required.

Join the dots from here:-

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad/report-a-change-in-your-circumstances

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

Perhaps you can tell me what this is then!

Witness Stamp for Life Certificate UK.jpg

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Perhaps you can tell me what this is then!

Witness Stamp for Life Certificate UK.jpg

Yes 

That is an unnecessary stamp in a box on a form that is no longer required.

I have not used a stamp for over 10 years (since DWP said that a stamp was not necessary).

You literally need to think outside the box! Just because outdated forms have a box for a stamp does not mean that DWP require a stamp. Have a go at them by all means for not updating their letters to reflect the relaxation in their procedures.

DWP of softened the requirements gradually in recent years, first saying that anyone who can countersign a British passport application can sign a Life Certificate. More recently they have said that anyone of good standing, not related to you, can sign.

I am sure that you are smart enough to understand that KannikaP is absolutely right - you might as well sign it yourself. This is just a tick box exercise and when the forms get scanned, when they are returned to Wolverhampton, nobody undertakes any due diligence - the system is simply marked that that pensioner returned the form.

8 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

So when I send you proof, can I expect an apology?

I told you back in May that a stamp was not required. Since that time I have witnessed 5 Life Certificates which were returned without a stamp. Guess what?.....not one was rejected!