EC Endorses All MPs Elect

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

I can't help but wonder why there is a tendency to make things unnecessarily challenging for foreigners, considering the significant interest in living and contributing financially to this place. It seems evident that embracing foreign residents can only bring about positive outcomes.. I don't know, maybe i'm missing something? 

Well whilst I agree with your sentiments, I can also understand that they may take the view that the immigration issues in the UK. and indeed the rest of europe  for example  are hardly a shining example that they would seek to emulate.  Multiculturalism might look ok on paper but the realities on the ground are very different !

The UK has lost its sense of national  identity, It is no longer acceptable to be patriotic, and on the whole that is  a very sad state of affairs and it is all part of the continuing inevitable decline of a once great country that is destroying its self from within.

Thailand still has a very strong sense of national identity , I applaud them for this, to be honest I'm a little jealous of the common bond they share and fully understand their reasons for trying to maintain it, even if sometimes it has negative consequences for me personally

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

But that would mean that thousands upon thousands of bureaucrats would be out of a job. And those that remained would be terribly overworked ...

You would of course need to cut nonsense regulations as well. And we have now computer we don't need the same amount of people like in the 1990s. Someone could argue that we need the same amount of police but not the same amount of paper pusher. Yes many unproductive people who are just leeches on the working people would be out of job. As you can't fire them, you need to stop hiring new one and wait it out with retiring people.

24 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Well whilst I agree with your sentiments, I can also understand that they may take the view that the immigration issues in the UK. and indeed the rest of europe  for example  are hardly a shining example that they would seek to emulate.  Multiculturalism might look ok on paper but the realities on the ground are very different !

The UK has lost its sense of national  identity, It is no longer acceptable to be patriotic, and on the whole that is  a very sad state of affairs and it is all part of the continuing inevitable decline of a once great country that is destroying its self from within.

Thailand still has a very strong sense of national identity , I applaud them for this, to be honest I'm a little jealous of the common bond they share and fully understand their reasons for trying to maintain it, even if sometimes it has negative consequences for me personally

I don't know for UK but for Austria vs. Thailand. I think you attract very different people if you don't give them any social security. Even some illegal immigrant in Thailand will do something productive. And the lazy one will not come. While in Europe we pay everyone...even illegal immigrants.
I agree on everything about your posting about national identity.

18 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

Wonder if Prayut is packing his bags yet looking for a new house???

I thought that the unelected PM or whatever he is called now, still has his army house, so why should he need to be looking for a new house?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I thought that the unelected PM or whatever he is called now, still has his army house, so why should he need to be looking for a new house?

The house he is in is Army he is retired the goverment is paying for this house as PM   he wont be PM for much lomger

dont know what the unelected PM  has to do with this

Edited by MikeandDow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Many foreigners actually contribute a lot what with their very specai Thai families but it is difficult on frozen state pension and fixed income but since about 3 or 4 years ago Immigration do not come around to your house.
But if not careful we are branded all the same and the case all over the world.

18 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

Many foreigners actually contribute a lot what with their very specai Thai families but it is difficult on frozen state pension and fixed income but since about 3 or 4 years ago Immigration do not come around to your house.
But if not careful we are branded all the same and the case all over the world.

what has this got to do with the topic at hand,  " EC Endorses All MPs Elect"

3 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

......if some had their way, he'd be a resident guest of the government - by way of accommodations at Bang Kwang or Klong Prem.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Srikcir said:

As a new FY 2024 budget MUST be inplace before September 1, 2023 the appointment and royal endorsement of the new government ( PM & Cabinet ) cannot be delayed practically any later after July to allow full presentation and approval by the House and Senate...

Is the Senate really involved in the selection of the Prime Minister?

If the Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand enacted on 6 April B.E. 2560 (2017) is still the currently valid version, then the selection, endorsement, approval and appointment of the new Prime Minister is being carried out in accordance with Sections 158 and 159 of this constitution.

Section 158. The King appoints the Prime Minister and not more than thirty-five other Ministers to constitute the Council of Ministers having the duties to carry out the administration of the State affairs in accordance with the principle of collective responsibility.

The Prime Minister must be appointed from a person who is approved by the House of Representatives under section 159.

Section 159. The House of Representatives shall complete its consideration for approval of the person suitable to be appointed as Prime Minister from a person who has the qualifications and is not under any of the prohibitions under section 160, and is a person listed by a political party under section 88, only with respect to the list of names of political parties whose members have been elected as Members of the House of Representatives constituting not less than five per cent of the total number of existing Members of the House of Representatives.

The nomination under paragraph one shall be endorsed by members comprising not less than one-tenth of the total number of the existing Members of the House of Representatives.

The resolution of the House of Representatives approving the appointment of a person as Prime Minister shall be passed by open votes and by the votes of more than one-half of the total number of the existing Members of the House of Representatives.

I am surprised that the constitution makes no mention about the Senate regarding the selection and endorsement of the Prime Minster. Am I reading an obsolete version of the constitution?

Source: https://www.krisdika.go.th/documents/67673/181643/837163_0001.pdf/3d0aab10-e61f-03a4-136a-75003ce4c625

Thai text: https://library.senate.go.th/document/Ext27142/27142037_0003.PDF

Edited by Puccini
Added links
  • Love It 1

On 6/19/2023 at 5:45 PM, ThailandRyan said:

I think he will become the new General Prem and take up permanent residence in the house he currently resides in.  There will then be the annual trip to visit him by the new PM and a kissing of the ring for a blessing of good fortune for the New Year.  Just mu view.

Nah, Prem was on the Kings official advisors for years. Prayut is a long way from that yet

21 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Tend to agree with you, Nothing much ever changes for the general population as a result of these events despite the rhetoric. Any improvement for foreigners is highly unlikely and  would be a totally  unintended consequence. 

All these naive posters gushing their support for this new kid on the block,  expecting Thailand to evolve into some sort of left wing utopia are living in a fantasy world  and are, inevitably, going to be very disappointed.

The saying "things can only get better" is far from true, things can indeed get a whole lot worse and probably will  

" Better the devil you know"  in my opinion

It would have been 'better' if the MFP had a house majority, as it is any radical changes put forward by the PM will get stifled by the coalition parties as well as the senate and let us not forget the grey eminence, the civil service, who really run the country. Most Thais, whether left or right, have been spoon fed reverence for the elite since birth, this along with corruption and self interest will strangle any real change, the RTP are a good example, lots of good modern laws but if the front line doesn't follow along they mean nothing.