Leaving the bar stool ...

KhunLA

1 minute ago, saintdomingo said:

So you've never experienced a "convivial alehouse", neither a meat market or whatever, just a place for a few drinks.

I quite enjoyed many happy hours, knockin' around Philly, PA, USA, and a local brewery at Germantown, TN, USA (Memphis area).  Had some fine ales, and a favorite was be Brit pub in Philly.  Few places interested my in last 23 yrs here in TH, except when out on the prowl. 

• 2 weeks later...

Leaving the barstool, or the hood, doesn't require an overnight or very long drive.   Just something different.  Sample of one of ours, usually to a coffee shop and or restaurant, sometimes with a view, though not today.  Nice setting though, even though next to the road, with plenty foliage, to block view of roadway.

Total was 101 kms roundtrip, to check off another, almost local coffee shop w/pretty pictures of sweets.

Then while in the neighborhood, cruise by town & then the surf, see if new is interesting.  Hit the fresh market for some very nice mangos.

Had a nice coffee & cake, as they no longer do food.

1711966886421.jpg

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Leaving the barstool, or the hood, doesn't require an overnight or very long drive.   Just something different.  Sample of one of ours, usually to a coffee shop and or restaurant, sometimes with a view, though not today.  Nice setting though, even though next to the road, with plenty foliage, to block view of roadway.

Total was 101 kms roundtrip, to check off another, almost local coffee shop w/pretty pictures of sweets.

Then while in the neighborhood, cruise by town & then the surf, see if new is interesting.  Hit the fresh market for some very nice mangos.

Had a nice coffee & cake, as they no longer do food.

1711966886421.jpg

Most people can't do roadtrips every day. That leaves the corner bar for a lot of people.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Most people can't do roadtrips every day. That leaves the corner bar for a lot of people.

Longer ones, like today, (>50kms but <120kms) I figured we did 32 in 1 year, so about 1 every 10 days, as 33 days were away from the house/overnight somewhere.

Most, instead of a barstool, is just sitting/strolling at the park or surfside, or short trip to a lake or through the hills.  Coffee shops instead of bars.   

When I did sip a few out of the house, pretty much the same, unless having a veranda w/view, can't see sitting at a bar, in a bar.  Actually the veranda at home is one of the best spots, aside from surfside.

Besides, after the coffee shop, got to burn of 1 or 2 calories, and grab a little Vit D while the dog gets a few new sniffs and marks some turf :coffee1:

a5b450cc-3b3a-4964-8c21-df9650422741.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Should put this in 'Why Thailand ?', but that will die a forum death.  Same as here I guess.

Comfy room which included brekkie ... :coffee1:

OJ, mini croissants/pound cake, salmon omelet, shrimp bisque, fruit. Coffee offered but already had.

฿1000 / $27 USD, which would probably get you the brekkie, for 1 person in USA, IF lucky.

0e0c9ff3-dbcd-4daf-ba56-3db65493b58d.jpg

Edited by KhunLA

5 hours ago, JimTripper said:

How about Bali? Thailand is not that big. It's possible you have seen everything that's unique enough to bother visiting.

For me ... I'm to lazy to deal with the hassle of air travel, or the expensive.  Especially for another SEA country.  Guessing same same, and just a wee bit different.

I still finds things interesting here,  First places out of TH, if ever, would be CH, RU, Switzerland, maybe Belize, Costa Rico & Cuba.   Can't see that happening, and don't think about.

I'm traveled out, long distance/international.  I won't even go back to Laos.  Or bother with Cambo or Nam.

11 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I'm traveled out, long distance/international.  I won't even go back to Laos.  Or bother with Cambo or Nam.

I was intending to see a lot of places in the world, but once I discovered Thailand I never saw the rest as Thailand was The Place. Never needed to go anywhere else.

Do I regret it now? Just a little. I'd like to have seen Petra and scuba dived in the Red Sea, but we don't get everything we want in life.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was intending to see a lot of places in the world, but once I discovered Thailand I never saw the rest as Thailand was The Place. Never needed to go anywhere else.

Do I regret it now? Just a little. I'd like to have seen Petra and scuba dived in the Red Sea, but we don't get everything we want in life.

Buddy lived at Khao Lak, and could dive for free, as his buddy owned a dive shop.  He didn't bother, as we have same mind set, after diving elsewhere .. TH is not 'world class', just OK, a few spots.   

Me, mostly S. FL/Keys/Bahamas, Yucatan & Caribbean Sea,   Him, more worldly since owning sailboat in days past.  Said Red Sea was one of, if not, the best diving he's done.

Able to dive for free, when ever wanting, and didn't bother ... all a bit telling.  Only people that think diving is world class in TH are novice, and dive shop owners :cheesy:

I was really fortunate to work for the airlines.  Last 10 years, I only worked 8 days a month, and abused the hell out of the flight bennies.   Before 9/11 and all the TSA BS, and getting to the gate took only the time to walk there, instead of 2-3 hours.   Plus as an employee, we bypassed most of the security anyway.  BLISS

Edited by KhunLA

18 hours ago, JimTripper said:

How about Bali? Thailand is not that big. It's possible you have seen everything that's unique enough to bother visiting.

Bali sounds like Thailand with Australians and Julia Roberts. Not that appealing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Bali sounds like Thailand with Australians and Julia Roberts. Not that appealing.

What I was told and read also, but didn't want to comment, since no personal experience.  Don't know anyone that liked it, or thought it better than TH.

TH definitely a small country, as I may have stated 100 times or more, but still enjoy knocking around the place.  Some really nice landscape, during rainy season.  Everything green, and the hills are lovely.

Popping over to Mae Chaem area today, and hope they already planted rice on the terraced fields.

Had a family meet up (brother from USA visiting) at Nong Bua LamPhu, so while in the hood, thought we'd hit the N side one more time ...

image.png.0bade0621ea8d9bf837c7142427b15ce.png

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 9:03 AM, Lacessit said:

I haven't propped up a bar stool for nearly ten years now.

maybe it's time to get back on it again ....   you've missed alot   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So he keeps driving the same general areas up and down because a new location might not sound appealing?

Sounds bizarre. I would try Bali. If it's not your thing, so what. It's just a new road trip and it's enjoyable to visit new places.

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

So he keeps driving the same general areas up and down because a new location might not sound appealing?

Sounds bizarre. I would try Bali. If it's not your thing, so what. It's just a new road trip and it's enjoyable to visit new places.

Assume 'he' is me, and you think I take the same roads, and stop and peek at everything, every time I pass through an area ?  hmm.

Constantly finding new & interesting things along the way, if not just the lovely landscape.  Taking it all in, smelling the coffee, flowers thing, and new snaps of a new bird species.  Who knows what awaits.

But I know what is within 25-50 kms of home, so O&A works for us.

Sometimes years in between visits, and many things change or been added.   

NO ... I wouldn't revisit Nong Bua LamPhu, Udon Thani, Nong Khai or most of the NE again, as lived there for 16/17 years.   But as stated, it was a family thing at NBLP, and first time seeing our 3 nieces along with brother w/wife again, since married 18 yrs ago.

We don't do the North often, so knocking around there is still new to us, at many areas, or been so long since there, it's all new ... again :cheesy:

A lot of our past visits were during smog season, so a lot of it, is very new, as can actually see the landscape.  Unless experiencing, you wouldn't believe the difference, and I'm amazed people ever travel during smog season.  Really is a waste of time & money IMHO :coffee1:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Bali involves flying with all the costs and inconvenience of that, plus immigration hassles, if any, so it's hardly "just a new road trip". 

I doubt anyone can drive every road in Thailand before forgetting what the first one was like.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Lampang to Mae Chaem, the first 2 hours or so is a bit boring.  Last hour, you really got to pay attention, or you will have an oops on some hairpin curves.  

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Doesn't take much to leave the bar stool, whether it's actually on Soi 6, or youR veranda w/view.  Our is quite nice & comfy, and lovely bays nearby, but nice to peek at some different landscape, and sample some different food.

This is our typical O&A, 2 weeks or less, and less than 300 kms a day driving.  Usually 1 night stays, or 2 after a few 1 night stays.   Like the journey usually more than the destination.   Seems nice landscape & munchies are the priority, as seen most tourist stuff over the 20+ years here.

Present O&A, and should be home today, some time this late afternoon/early evening.  Do a few a year during rainy season, and since rainy season, looped around the north this time.   Wouldn't bother any other time, as can't see anything during smog season.  

Usually head South during smog season, as AQI #s in the 50-75 range, and still good views.

Where ever and when ever your travels take you .... ENJOY

typical O&A.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Only 2 'long' O&As so far for 2024, but seemed to cover some landscape in the process.  This one, N, 2 weeks, and think the one S, shy of 2 weeks (March).

Hotels and or coffee shops/restaurants while O&A, from G timeline.

2024 so far.png

Edited by KhunLA

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Only 2 'long' O&As so far for 2024, but seemed to cover some landscape in the process.  This one, N, 2 weeks, and think the one S, shy of 2 weeks.

2024 so far.png

What was you favourite and how do you insert the dots?

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, susanlea said:

What was you favourite and how do you insert the dots?

Favorites, hard to say.  New spots, cutting through Doi Inthanon Nat Park to Mae Chaem and then exited a different route south to Sukhothai was really nice.

As was parts of the trip down to Betong, Yala.   Khao Kho is always nice.  Drives through Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Krabi, Phangnga are always nice, though done so many times the past 20+ years.  Try to take different routes.   Along the coast or through the hills.

Last year, driving through Nan, a first, and had spectacular views.

G maps & timeline marks the map as we travel & stop.  Seems anything more than 10 ish minutes, gets a dot.  Hotel, coffee shop, restaurant, EV charging station, or just roadside, if I see some wildlife (usually birds) or a great view to take a snap or 50, or make a vid.

Stopped Friday just before guesthouse, saw new species for me to snap, ended up taking 90 photos  :cheesy:

DSN05549DN.jpg

Edited by KhunLA

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Present O&A, and should be home today, some time this late afternoon/early evening.

That didn't go exactly as originally planned.  About 4 hrs, with only a pit stop at Bluport Mall/Hua Hin, turned into almost 7 hrs.

Changed route, to hit a coffee shop, then changed again, to find that elusive Spot-billed Pelican.   Snaps taken yesterday posted on eBird, at location that I've search before when in the hood.  So stopped at 2 on the way.

The extra stops require a short 15 minute top up for the EV.  Bluport Mall was a longer stop, for dinner.

More than a for snaps, and added a few hours :cheesy:

detour.png

Edited by KhunLA

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

That didn't go exactly as originally planned.  About 4 hrs, with only a pit stop at Bluport Mall/Hua Hin, turned into almost 7 hrs.

Changed route, to hit a coffee shop, then changed again, to find that elusive Spot-billed Pelican.   Snaps taken yesterday posted on eBird, at location that I've search before when in the hood.  So stopped at 2 on the way.

The extra stops require a short 15 minute top up for the EV.  Bluport Mall was a longer stop, for dinner.

More than a for snaps, and added a few hours :cheesy:

detour.png

My favourite two restaurants aren't far from Bluport.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, susanlea said:

My favourite two restaurants aren't far from Bluport.

Main purpose to stop was for some shoes we liked, already have.   I always peek at 'You Hunt We Cook', but they and Gourmet Market didn't have any steaks I liked.   So we hit the Turkish kebab/Mexican Quesadilla vendor.