Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, sparking search and rescue mission

Social Media

6 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

I don't understand why these people did this. Just so they can say we were there? There are already enough pictures of the Titanic and they are of a better quality than what can be seen from a very small window. But up to them. They paid with their life. Money obviously doesn't protect against stupidity... 

Why do people pay to ride in a Rocket for 5 minutes to go into Space ? when they can look up into the night sky.

• Haha 1

On 6/21/2023 at 8:12 AM, Tug said:

I just listened to a pbs radio interview with someone who has dived aboard this vessel there are 3 systems to surface the craft automatically even if everyone is unconscious or dead they operate with water souliable links to drop weight and the tanks blow automatically after a certain amount of time my money is on it flooded or imploded .it was refreshing to hear actual real information about this vessel 

Leave it to them then.

3 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

MMM just watched the video my god cheap charlie company. D pad's batteries have gone who has the spare's ?

Looks like the controller is also wireless and there was no indication I've seen that it could be plugged in anywhere with a cable.   Maybe it can as relying on a bluetooth connection 13,000 feet under the oceans surface is just too bonkers to contemplate. 

I know rich people are not risk averse as you simply cannot make that kind of money without taking on a lot of risk, but to not ask the "what happens if the sub gets stuck at the bottom of the ocean with no way to surface" or "how will we be found if we lose comms/power" kind of questions before getting on board is something I've not been able to get my head around.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

What has the depth of the submersible got to do with two devices less than 10ft apart connecting via Bluetooth?

Seriously?   So if the bluetooth chip gets fried or malfunctions in either the computer or the controller what is your plan to resolve this?  Keep spare components/tools in a sub that has barely enough room for the 5 people on board or the space to carry out even the smallest of maintenance tasks? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, James105 said:

Seriously?   So if the bluetooth chip gets fried or malfunctions in either the computer or the controller what is your plan to resolve this?  Keep spare components/tools in a sub that has barely enough room for the 5 people on board or the space to carry out even the smallest of maintenance tasks? 

What has the depth of the units got to do with Bluetooth? was my question!  It was not about how to repair or replace defective components!

Neither you or I know what the backup/replacement philosophy is and is not germane to my question!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I had sympathy at the beginning for these poor souls but now after what we know about this company and the health and safety of this craft you have to wonder how stupid they were to even enter it. No backup plans for quick descent, no backup in case 1 radio fails, no backup to the mothership if comms fail no beacon to transmit their location if all power is lost. Hour of air now and still not been found, even if it is found it will take over 4 hours to raise it so it is now already a recovery to find out what killed them.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, BarraMarra said:

I had sympathy at the beginning for these poor souls but now after what we know about this company and the health and safety of this craft you have to wonder how stupid they were to even enter it. No backup plans for quick descent, no backup in case 1 radio fails, no backup to the mothership if comms fail no beacon to transmit their location if all power is lost. Hour of air now and still not been found, even if it is found it will take over 4 hours to raise it so it is now already a recovery to find out what killed them.

Best case scenario for them now is that the hull imploded under pressure and they died instantly 4 days ago.   If they were alive until their oxygen ran out then that particular way to go is absolutely terrifying and is now in my top 3 of worst possible ways to die.

The vessel Atalante (carrying the 6000m capable ROV) has been stationary, approximately above the Titanic for about 2-3 hours, after going past the site to rendezvous with another support vessel early in the day first. There are 3 support vessels in line going ENE from the Atalante (ringed on chart) and one other support boat close by - these may be trying to fix the sub location if there is any acoustic data available to be processed but I'm not sure.

image.png.4f4be4c2c86d1f4297177878fb2107d6.png

As the Atalante is stationary, I can only assume and hope that the ROV has been deployed. I don't have any other news. This is very difficult and a long shot but we can only pray that the rescuers have enough luck and success to recover these guys in time.

Map from Marine Traffic: 

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-49.943/centery:41.736/zoom:15 

• Love It 1

4 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

What has the depth of the units got to do with Bluetooth? was my question!  It was not about how to repair or replace defective components!

Neither you or I know what the backup/replacement philosophy is and is not germane to my question!

Blue tooth devices in safety critical control service?

4 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

Hour of air now and still not been found,

The amount of air available is based on 5 people still breathing in the sub. If the CEO and the elderly pilot do a "Captain Oates", maybe followed by the billionaire adventurer, then the father and son could have a better chance.

Just saying.

Allegations of safety concerns are not simply after the fact speculation or rumor, they exist in court filings from 2018.

David Lochridge, OceanGate’s former director of marine operations, claimed in the August 2018 court document he was wrongfully fired after flagging worries about the company’s alleged “refusal to conduct critical, non-destructive testing of the experimental design”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/oceangate-titan-safety-quality-employee-fired-b2361289.html

• Like 1

Just watched a report where a marine geophysicist said that at the depths this Submersible was at it will not be visible past 3-4 meters even with the top-class underwater lights on a slow-moving ROV. He said you could be 4 meters away from a target but miss it due to the visibility. On the imploding theory if anyone has viewed the Thresher or Scorpian nuke subs that Ballard found imploded it was hard to distinguish it being a Submarine due to the torn pieces of metal, these imploded at around 1,500 ft. If this Titan did implode the pieces will be that small and unrecognizable among the Original debris field of the Titanic. It will likely never be found.

• Like 1

Yes just being reported now on Sky news Debris has been found nr the Titanic. So sounds like on the initial dive on Sunday the hull or a structure on the Titan failed on the way down causing it to implode and falling to the bottom nr the Titanic RIP.

38 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

Yes just being reported now on Sky news Debris has been found nr the Titanic. So sounds like on the initial dive on Sunday the hull or a structure on the Titan failed on the way down causing it to implode and falling to the bottom nr the Titanic RIP.

So what has been causing the regular (every 30 mins) knocking sound that has been reported since day 2? I guess/hope we may find out in the fullness of time.

7 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I think he means relying on a bluetooth connection while 13,000 feet under the surface.

Crunch!oh well at least it was over quick 5 more Darwin Award winners!they had no reason to put themselves at such risk absolutely nothing to gain except bragging rights so be it ya takes your chances yada yada yada sorry just not much simpathy except for the bereaved to their loved ones my condolences hopefully there estates will cover the costs of trying to rescue them sorry guys and gals but……..

9 hours ago, James105 said:

Best case scenario for them now is that the hull imploded under pressure and they died instantly 4 days ago.   If they were alive until their oxygen ran out then that particular way to go is absolutely terrifying and is now in my top 3 of worst possible ways to die.

I've been thinking along the same lines.  They said the passenger area was app. the size of a pickup truck's bed, and that they were bolted in.

So that's five people, talk about "clubby."  It's not clear whether if the thing managed to float to the surface they would have access to the fresh air.  And then the pressure experienced from the uncontrolled ascent to the surface is another risk.

Also the human experience: aware that these can be your living moments, sealed in a metal canister.  Not just your own behavior/emotions, but that of the others. This is not meant as a joke, but does the thing have a toilet?  Whether it does or not dials up the misery.

11 hours ago, James105 said:

On the assumption that their oxygen ran out then consider a bunch of billionaires being told there’s a finite oxygen resource, we need to share equally, don’t take more than you need.

A little late for that particular life lesson.

• Like 1

U.S. Navy Detected Titan Sub Implosion Days Ago

A top secret U.S. Navy acoustic detection system designed to spot enemy submarines first heard the Titan sub implosion hours after the submersible began its mission, officials involved in the search said.

The Navy began listening for the Titan almost as soon as the sub lost communications, according to a U.S. defense official.

Shortly after its disappearance, the U.S. system detected what it suspected was the sound of an implosion near the debris site discovered Thursday and reported its findings to the commander on site, U.S. defense officials said.

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/u-s-navy-detected-titan-sub-implosion-days-ago-6844cb12

No Paywall Link

• Thumbs Up 1