Tourist visa via www.thaievisa.go.th

On 6/26/2023 at 2:52 PM, Thailand Tiger said:

Given how rigid these new demands are, I can't see how tourism to Thailand isn't going to decline.

What do you mean?... You've already been a 'tourist' twice this year already and we're only half way through !!!! 

18 hours ago, Thailand Tiger said:

I already have two visa waiver entries from this calendar year

Op... have you managed to get through to the Thai Embassy to ask questions ? (always difficult with Embassies I know).

As others have written... Just provide 'anything you can' and if something is completely 'not applicable' just post something else instead.

Number 8: Just put your overseas employer - or if not employed at all - just put a JPG stating Self Employed as 'whatever it is you used to do'.

Number 9: Just put a copy of the hotel booking (Again) - my guess this is just a computer thing and once loaded the application will 'go through' for submission.

.... If you haven't already done so. 

----------

I had similar issues when applying for a Non-Imm O *(travel to Thailand immediately as soon as Thailand opened to non-Thai's during Covid)... 

... much of the 'submission' it wasn't relevant to me.... I just downloaded 'anything' nearly close... that seemed to do the trick... I suspect they are just interested in the 'key documents' and no one can be bothered to 'streamline the system' to make it perfectly applicable to those in differing circumstances. 

• Like 1

Well, it's been two weeks and still no sign of the visa. It's not possible to speak to anyone and emails aren't responded to. I certainly can't recommend applying for a visa from any country that is using this new system (it seems some countries such as Lao are still doing visa applications in person; at least according to their website).

I couldn't sit in limbo waiting (not to mention the cost of pushing flights), so I took the chance of just flying in and was stamped in on a visa waiver (third one this calendar year).

So now I've got the next task of getting a non-immigrant O from within the country. Not sure how that's going to go without a valid visa to convert to. In the event that the visa I applied for finally comes through, I guess I have the option of doing a run to a neighbouring country and coming back in on the new visa, and then converting that to the non-immigrant O.

I tried to get a visa from UK Embassy last year.  ( I am UK citizen)  Got fed up with the stupid questions, so cam to Thailand and entered on a normal Non Visa Entry.  Went to my local I/O and asked  to change this to a Non Imm O visa for retirement.   No problems.  Non visa entry was convertee to 3 month Non Im. and the hat was extended for 365 days for retirement.   Some fees were entailed, but nothing extortionate.  Rules might have changed now, but then (Aug 2022) no visa was needed to start this off.

No nonsense about onward ticket either.

37 minutes ago, Thailand Tiger said:

Well, it's been two weeks and still no sign of the visa. It's not possible to speak to anyone and emails aren't responded to. I certainly can't recommend applying for a visa from any country that is using this new system (it seems some countries such as Lao are still doing visa applications in person; at least according to their website).

I couldn't sit in limbo waiting (not to mention the cost of pushing flights), so I took the chance of just flying in and was stamped in on a visa waiver (third one this calendar year).

So now I've got the next task of getting a non-immigrant O from within the country. Not sure how that's going to go without a valid visa to convert to. In the event that the visa I applied for finally comes through, I guess I have the option of doing a run to a neighbouring country and coming back in on the new visa, and then converting that to the non-immigrant O.

Your options are

• Use form TM87 to apply for a Non Immigrant visa at Immigration from a visa exempt entry
    Pro: no need for travel
    Con: bureaucratic process with application under consideration; requires at least 15 days (more at some offices) left on your current permission to stay on the day you apply
  • Travel to Savannakhet Laos to apply for a Non Immigrant visa
    Pro: less bureaucratic, and visa issued day after application
    Con: cost and inconvenience of travel

If you go to Savannakhet for the visa, I suggest applying Tuesday or Wednesday. It is often extremely busy Monday and Thursday when visa run groups tend to arrive.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

The tourist visa application was eventually approved, but it was too late as I was already in the country.

I've had an agent apply for a non-O in country and this will then be extended for 12 months giving me a total of 15 months. Had I known that I would be able to get another visa waiver entry and convert from that to a non-O, I wouldn't have bothered with the tourist visa application; not to mention purchasing flights, pestering the owner of my accommodation for an invitation letter etc.

My advice to others would be to check in the country in which you propose to apply for your visa if they use the online application; if so, don't bother. It would seem that some embassies are still using the in-person process.