(Another) portable hotspot and annual SIM information request

treetops

34 minutes ago, norbra said:

My current speed test using this Cat 4 router

Screenshot_20230626_155307.jpg

Using which Cat. 4 router?? The same one that treetops has purchased? That’s a screenshot from your phone. 

You are powering your phone via WiFi supplied from an up to 300Mbps AIS SIM utilising a random Cat.4 router?

Edited by NextG
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, NextG said:

Using which Cat. 4 router?? The same one that treetops has purchased? That’s a screenshot from your phone. 

You are powering your phone via WiFi supplied from an up to 300Mbps AIS SIM utilising a random Cat.4 router?

Yes same router as pictured.

I used my phone wifi just to show speed test. Router is a stopgap filler as my wife's Galaxy has very poor to zero 4G signal so connects wifi to router. When her new 5G phone arrives (Iphone 13 family hand-me-down) I will shift sim from router to her new phone.

Changing APN settings  on router has problems works best using default settings

Edited by norbra

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I've just set up me new SIM router with a DTAC annual SIM described as 15Mbps.  The GoMo one didn't pan out.  It's successfully connected to my phone, laptop and TV stick.  All seems good and running normally.

However, when I run testmy.net it gives results around 4Mbps download.  This is from my laptop and is not much different using a LAN cable or using wifi.  Phone is similar speed on wifi.  DTAC signal is strong according to the router status screen.

I understand the location of the router can be important so will try it in a couple of different places, but apart from that should I be getting a higher speed and how do I go  about it?

Edited by treetops

1 hour ago, treetops said:

OK, I've just set up me new SIM router with a DTAC annual SIM described as 15Mbps.  The GoMo one didn't pan out.  It's successfully connected to my phone, laptop and TV stick.  All seems good and running normally.

However, when I run testmy.net it gives results around 4Mbps download.  This is from my laptop and is not much different using a LAN cable or using wifi.  Phone is similar speed on wifi.  DTAC signal is strong according to the router status screen.

I understand the location of the router can be important so will try it in a couple of different places, but apart from that should I be getting a higher speed and how do I go  about it?

This is why everyone is instructed to buy a test SIM for speed tests BEFORE springing for a longer term SIM. 
Also, when you buy a no-name router you run the risk of no one being able to support you as they have no access to any manuals or diagrams. Only norbra can tell you what he knows. But it just looks as if that’s the best you’ll get from DTAC given your location and equipment. Probably better from your Smartphone. 
What happened with the GoMo SIM?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, treetops said:

Testmynet only gives average speed over the test period , I use meteor app it indicates live speeds through the test period so you can see what is happening not just an average dump.

Depending on time of day my DTAC sim would slow to 4 mbps or less  in peak times.

I am now using an AIS sim and I am more than happy with constant download speeds 28-35mbps for both phone and sim router

Edited by norbra

14 hours ago, norbra said:

Testmynet only gives average speed over the test period , I use meteor app it indicates live speeds through the test period so you can see what is happening not just an average dump.

Depending on time of day my DTAC sim would slow to 4 mbps or less  in peak times.

I am now using an AIS sim and I am more than happy with constant download speeds 28-35mbps for both phone and sim router

Totally pointless and inaccurate. Test My doesn’t just give the average speed. Perhaps you should have taken a closer look before making such an announcement. 
Apart from that, most people want to see the ‘average speed’, as that is indicative of what they will achieve when downloading/uploading. The variance might be of interest to a few. 

It’s great that you are in a good area for AIS coverage, but that doesn’t correlate to anyone else here, unless they live with you and utilise a similar package. 

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, NextG said:

Totally pointless and inaccurate. Test My doesn’t just give the average speed. Perhaps you should have taken a closer look before making such an announcement. 
Apart from that, most people want to see the ‘average speed’, as that is indicative of what they will achieve when downloading/uploading. The variance might be of interest to a few. 

It’s great that you are in a good area for AIS coverage, but that doesn’t correlate to anyone else here, unless they live with you and utilise a similar package. 

As I have posted in the past using meteor will provide similar information in the user's area

47 minutes ago, norbra said:

As I have posted in the past using meteor will provide similar information in the user's area

I know that you are excited about this application, but it’s inaccurate and it’s only showing you your own data from your own speed tests. 
It’s just designed to collect your data so that someone else can use it. 

I ran a speed test with it on my 10 Mbps SIM package: 

B37531CA-BEF6-4780-91B9-0BE00A444246.thumb.png.214d51d970b6bd84d4cf1a4c74db1720.png

Uninstalled it/threw it in the bin. 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, ravip said:

I too have a related question.

Can't I activate any package AIS offers on my current AIS SIM, so that I keep my old number and avoid having multiple SIM's?

No, if it an offer for new SIM only. Yes, if it’s an offer for existing SIM. Did you really need to ask?

• Confused 1

On 7/10/2023 at 12:02 PM, NextG said:

This is why everyone is instructed to buy a test SIM for speed tests BEFORE springing for a longer term SIM. 
Also, when you buy a no-name router you run the risk of no one being able to support you as they have no access to any manuals or diagrams. Only norbra can tell you what he knows. But it just looks as if that’s the best you’ll get from DTAC given your location and equipment. Probably better from your Smartphone. 
What happened with the GoMo SIM?

Speed test on my (AIS) smartphone gives around the same speeds.

The GoMo was bought using a ladyfriend's ID and she went off to visit her mum in Bangkok and hasn't come back.  As I was time constrained (needed something in place for an imminent change of condo) I had to bite the bullet and go for a Plan B.

The router interface opening page shows various statistics including recent speed achieved and it does get up to over 6 Mbps.  TV is streaming fine and my browsing seems no different from my previous setup so all in all I've got pretty much what I wanted even if not by the most optimal method.

Thanks all for the help.

image.png.ab7a84e94ec7c739048a65b1a6eb5806.png

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Speed test on my (AIS) smartphone gives around the same speeds.

The GoMo was bought using a ladyfriend's ID and she went off to visit her mum in Bangkok and hasn't come back.  As I was time constrained (needed something in place for an imminent change of condo) I had to bite the bullet and go for a Plan B.

The router interface opening page shows various statistics including recent speed achieved and it does get up to over 6 Mbps.  TV is streaming fine and my browsing seems no different from my previous setup so all in all I've got pretty much what I wanted even if not by the most optimal method.

Thanks all for the help.

image.png.ab7a84e94ec7c739048a65b1a6eb5806.png

Strange story with regard to the SIM. Why wasn’t it delivered to you? Will it make it’s way to you at some point? You could have purchased a faster AIS pack as a stopgap; 15 to 20 Mbps(70 GB) for 250 baht whilst waiting for GoMo to arrive. That is of course if you receive higher speed in general via AIS. 
Did you spring for a monthly DTAC pack or a twelve month?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, NextG said:

Strange story with regard to the SIM. Why wasn’t it delivered to you? Will it make it’s way to you at some point? You could have purchased a faster AIS pack as a stopgap; 15 to 20 Mbps(70 GB) for 250 baht whilst waiting for GoMo to arrive. That is of course if you receive higher speed in general via AIS. 
Did you spring for a monthly DTAC pack or a twelve month?

It was delivered to me but required verification photo of her ID card and selfie using the app on a phone with the SIM installed.  She wasn't here to do that.

I got a 12 month DTAC package.

2 minutes ago, treetops said:

It was delivered to me but required verification photo of her ID card and selfie using the app on a phone with the SIM installed.  She wasn't here to do that.

I got a 12 month DTAC package.

Understood. 
12 months eh? You won’t be inclined to scrap that even if she comes back. I would have advised to go for a one month pack. 
You should be ok as long as you don’t try to stream Full HD media. 10Mbps would be better for that. 

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, treetops said:

I don't stream very much and ordinary (UK) TV is coming through OK.  Just downloaded some updates on my phone over the SIM router and speed was showing as over 8.5 in spells.

image.png.37a815bb636fe521aa6d74a9ba80aef8.png

Not bad, at the price. 

• Confused 1

• 3 months later...

Coming back to this around 3 months later and it's been running fine as discussed - until recently.

Background for those that don't want to reread the thread.  I have a dtac SIM on an annual deal for Internet at 15Mbps running on a SIM router and accessed by one phone (sometimes 2), one Firestick for TV and one laptop (light browsing only).  Plus one security camera on occasion when I'm away.

Maybe 3 or 4 days during the last week it's been painfully slow.  I've shrugged it off and lived with it until it perks up again, but yesterday was extremely bad so I contacted dtac.  Their reply this morning was :

"Since we detected unusual data usage which affected internet efficiency of other users in the same area i.e. high data transfer, Bit Torrent, or Internet tethering/hotspot for commercial purposes, we reserve the right to allocate data speed and usage on order to maintain Internet efficiency for other users"

I've asked them to restore full speed and mentioned it's my personal use only and awaiting a response, but has anyone else come across anything similar and how have you addressed it?

I have accessed the router interface and there are no other users so not been hijacked.

For your (minimal) requirements, I don't understand why you are thinking of buying anything!

You say you have good speed on your mobile sim from AIS, so why not just upgrade your package to unlimited at an acceptable speed, and use HotSpot on your mobile for your TV and Laptop also?

9 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

For your (minimal) requirements, I don't understand why you are thinking of buying anything!

Already bought.  I also need internet access when away from home for the security camera which I wouldn't have if my phone was with me. 

9 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

You say you have good speed on your mobile sim from AIS, so why not just upgrade your package to unlimited at an acceptable speed, and use HotSpot on your mobile for your TV and Laptop also?

As above, for when I'm not at home and I have also read it's not good for the phone's longevity to be used constantly as a hotspot.

Edited by treetops
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, treetops said:

Coming back to this around 3 months later and it's been running fine as discussed - until recently.

Background for those that don't want to reread the thread.  I have a dtac SIM on an annual deal for Internet at 15Mbps running on a SIM router and accessed by one phone (sometimes 2), one Firestick for TV and one laptop (light browsing only).  Plus one security camera on occasion when I'm away.

Maybe 3 or 4 days during the last week it's been painfully slow.  I've shrugged it off and lived with it until it perks up again, but yesterday was extremely bad so I contacted dtac.  Their reply this morning was :

"Since we detected unusual data usage which affected internet efficiency of other users in the same area i.e. high data transfer, Bit Torrent, or Internet tethering/hotspot for commercial purposes, we reserve the right to allocate data speed and usage on order to maintain Internet efficiency for other users"

I've asked them to restore full speed and mentioned it's my personal use only and awaiting a response, but has anyone else come across anything similar and how have you addressed it?

I have accessed the router interface and there are no other users so not been hijacked.

Check to see if you have access to Band 40 at your location: https://wcsoss.totwbs.com/promotion

If so, it will be more suitable, by design, for usage as a HotSpot. 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, NextG said:

Check to see if you have access to Band 40 at your location

How do I do that?  I can see who has the 2300 MHz capability which is Band 40 I think, but can't see where it's available.  I'm in central Pattaya so would it be true to say there's a good chance it's covered?

Edited by treetops

3 hours ago, treetops said:

How do I do that?  I can see who has the 2300 MHz capability which is Band 40 I think, but can't see where it's available.  I'm in central Pattaya so would it be true to say there's a good chance it's covered?

Are you above the 5th floor? Pinpoint your location on Google Maps, preferably on a PC and copy and paste the latitude and longitude figures contained within the URL where they are requested on the webpage supplied two posts above(first choose the 999 baht option to get through to the page that requests the latitude and longitude figures). 
Once entered if you have the option of selecting a package, it means that you will be covered by their seven day money back guarantee. Head to the NT office on Klang to avail yourself of the SIM and for help filling out the form. 

3 hours ago, treetops said:

They don’t guarantee it above the 5th floor..

On 6/24/2023 at 1:29 PM, treetops said:

Per the OP, I still have to decide on a router as part of my move to a new system so not looked at individual specs yet.

From my brief perusal, the routers I have seen are mainly 4G, not 5G (I've only looked at a couple so far).  From my described usage would the slower speeds affect me adversely

You need to be careful over 4G/5G. There are very few 5G network routers on the market and those that are can be quite expensive, upwards of £600, Routers are often referred to as being 5G, with the 5G being a higher Wi-fi frequency of 5Ghz.

I have a TP Link Archer MR400 going spare if you are interested. It is about a year old and only used it for about 6 months.

When we had trouble with 3BB my wife wanted to use a SIM. I wasn't too keen but went along and bought the router and a DTAC sim. I use Kodi and found I could only watch the lower level links below 1GB without buffering. Paid for itself in about 6 months then went back to fiber. 

PS  Apologies, didn't notice the time factor till page 2. I think when I was on the sim they were throttling the data.

Edited by sandyf

35 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You need to be careful over 4G/5G. There are very few 5G network routers on the market and those that are can be quite expensive, upwards of £600, Routers are often referred to as being 5G, with the 5G being a higher Wi-fi frequency of 5Ghz.

I have a TP Link Archer MR400 going spare if you are interested. It is about a year old and only used it for about 6 months.

When we had trouble with 3BB my wife wanted to use a SIM. I wasn't too keen but went along and bought the router and a DTAC sim. I use Kodi and found I could only watch the lower level links below 1GB without buffering. Paid for itself in about 6 months then went back to fiber. 

PS  Apologies, didn't notice the time factor till page 2. I think when I was on the sim they were throttling the data.

Cat.4…what’s your price?

Edited by NextG