(Another) portable hotspot and annual SIM information request

treetops

I hope I've got the terminology correct and I've read a fair bit in here about them, but by no means confident about what I should be looking for. 

I'm moving location shortly and it apppears this will be the most efficient method of connecting my laptop and TV stick to the internet in my new digs.  The new place has a good signal on the AIS SIM in my phone, so I'm tempted to go straight to AIS rather than experiment with other suppliers.  Good idea or not?

If anyone keeps an eye on Lazada or wherever, can you tell me the current goto SIM package considering I'm a low volume (I think) user?  Laptop browsing several hours a day (occcasional youtube vid), TV usually on for a similar amount of time with occasional sport watching, no torrents.

Finally, any recommendations on the portable hotspot required?  Maybe more important, anything to really avoid?  I've read about issues with the Thunder SIM and it's unique hotspot requirements and although I don't think they'll affect me, is there anything similar waiting to catch me out?

Thanks all.

Edited by treetops

I'm currently using this AIS Marathon 12 month sim,300mbps and 70GBpm.

Lazada 1280baht.

Installed as 2nd sim in my phone.

Phone Hotspot supports 2nd phone,PC and laptop for internet access,no problems for 3 months use.

Download 45mbps

Upload 50mbps

Ping 23ms.

IMG_20230624_103750.jpg

Edited by norbra
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NextG said:

Was there an impediment to the Thunder SIM?

If your question was for me. Unsure if my cheap router and channel 40 are compatible .

I have a second Aiis Marathon sim in the router which I use to share traffic loads as my wife uses more than the 70GB monthly allowance

Edited by norbra

17 minutes ago, norbra said:

If your question was for me. Unsure if my cheap router and channel 40 are compatible .

I have a second Aiis Marathon sim in the router which I use to share traffic loads as my wife uses more than the 70GB monthly allowance

It wasn’t for you. If you have a Thai wife, consider GoMo..

1 hour ago, NextG said:

Was there an impediment to the Thunder SIM?

The channel thing as mentioned and therefore the need to pair it up with a specific spec of router to get the best use, and I don't think it is an AIS product which is my first choice for SIM.

1 hour ago, NextG said:

If you have a Thai partner, look at GoMo

https://gomo.th/package

You can obtain unlimited 10Mbps for 149 baht per month. 

I can see the website in English, but don't see the deal you mention.  Can you point me in the right direction, and also explain the reference to having a Thai partner?

20 minutes ago, treetops said:

The channel thing as mentioned and therefore the need to pair it up with a specific spec of router to get the best use, and I don't think it is an AIS product which is my first choice for SIM.

I can see the website in English, but don't see the deal you mention.  Can you point me in the right direction, and also explain the reference to having a Thai partner?

You should have gone to Specsavers ☺️
0162180A-DE1F-4CE7-866D-3A4725D05220.thumb.jpeg.02a9638308975cbc176e1372d6982fec.jpeg

Thai only sign ups. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, treetops said:

Did you check your existing router for Band 40?

22 minutes ago, NextG said:

☺️You should have gone to Specsavers 

Indeed, in my defense I was only looking at the main packages, not the top ups!

17 minutes ago, NextG said:

Did you check your existing router for Band 40?

Per the OP, I still have to decide on a router as part of my move to a new system so not looked at individual specs yet.

From my brief perusal, the routers I have seen are mainly 4G, not 5G (I've only looked at a couple so far).  From my described usage would the slower speeds affect me adversely

1 minute ago, treetops said:

Per the OP, I still have to decide on a router as part of my move to a new system so not looked at individual specs yet.

From my brief perusal, the routers I have seen are mainly 4G, not 5G (I've only looked at a couple so far).  From my described usage would the slower speeds affect me adversely

Aaah… it was norbra who mentioned a router. Darned hijackers ☺️

3 minutes ago, treetops said:

4G or 4G+
5G is for SIM packages with no speed caps. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, treetops said:

A mate just sent me this.  Plenty data by the look of it and speeds "are not capped".  A bit more expensive than those on Lazada.  Is it worth pursuing?

895913257_aissim.jpg.57c3c56578a2a4f9c24378f54fa8ef7e.jpg

No. It’s speed capped at 15 Mbps and you’d have the same 3GB per day even if it wasn’t. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NextG said:

Aaah… it was norbra who mentioned a router. Darned hijackers ☺️

I only responded to Your I'll directed question re thunder sim, In my post preceding your question I described what I was using in simple terms that would be an option for the OP to consider

You obviously got your threads crossed

Edited by norbra

2 minutes ago, norbra said:

I only responded to Your I'll directed question re thunder sim, In my post preceding your question I described what I was using in simple terms that would be an option for the OP to consider

If I don’t quote someone, then the reply is to the OP. 
I was joking about your being a hijacker…

Edited by NextG

10 minutes ago, NextG said:

If I don’t quote someone, then the reply is to the OP. 
I was joking about your being a hijacker…

No sweat,but I didn't see where the OP had knocked back the thunder sim. On another thread I think you suggested I try the thunder sim thus my response just assuming the question was for me

5 hours ago, treetops said:

I've read about issues with the Thunder SIM and it's unique hotspot requirements and although I don't think they'll affect me, is there anything similar waiting to catch me out?

3 minutes ago, norbra said:

No sweat,but I didn't see where the OP had knocked back the thunder sim. On another thread I think you suggested I try the thunder sim thus my response just assuming the question was for me

From his initial post

about two years ago i bought a router directly from the AIS shop.  lightweight, has a battery so it can be used for about 4-5 hours w/o being plugged in.  i think it was about 2,000thb.  not the cheapest option. 

11 hours ago, voyagerUSA said:

I have a related question, doesnt buying a sim card these days require passport ID and your picture taken at the shop? If so how can you get a sim card on Lazada? Or do you then have to go to the shop to activate it?

On receipt of the SIM from Lazada put it in your phone. Have your passport to hand, Log onto the web site of the SIM card provider (DTAC/AIS etc) and follow the instructions!

No need to go to the shop!

21 hours ago, treetops said:

I've ordered the GoMo SIM recommended above from AIS and a "no-name" router from Lazada.  Hopefully here by the middle of the week and I'll try them out.

Let’s have a look at the router….