How to deal with an overwhelmingly negative opinion of Thai people.

bob smith

I would like to kindly ask that everyone please read my post thoroughly and comphrehend everything that I am saying before making any rash judgements. 

thank you all. 

Edited by bogs smith

Frankly I tend  to be  negative about Thailand, but it is more related to the sorry state of the country. I have travelled in  Asia for the past 45 years, and during my early years  economists described Thailand as one of the "Rising Tigers" of  the region. While neighbours made inroads into democracy  and its resulting development this place resisted any change and we can still witness what is happening today.

When it come to the people, I have a lot admiration for the women,  while every now and then I come across a nice fellah...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, herfiehandbag said:

I will be quite honest, and I doubt that you will like it so!

However, taking a quick look at your profile and some of your posts, it strikes me that you come across as fairly aggressive in your outlook. Thais generally are not, and do not react well to an aggressive demeanor. That may well be why you find they react in this way?

i am not an aggressive person. at least i dont strive to be. not sure what an aggressive demeanor is? and how can we control how others perceive us? 

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Just ignore the locals, works in any country.

I would like to. but in my current situation its very hard if not impossible to do that. I am however working on a plan to isolate myself even more than I currently do. not sure how that will affect my mentality but it might not be too good? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bogs smith said:

I would like to. but in my current situation its very hard if not impossible to do that. I am however working on a plan to isolate myself even more than I currently do. not sure how that will affect my mentality but it might not be too good? 

Ignoring the locals isn't the same as isolating yourself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, proton said:

Had the bus moving seats happen, in fact one guy moved twice after I moved into the seat he vacated as mine was broken, as soon as he realised he moved again.

i dont know how this kind of thing affects you but it actually hurts me. then the hurt quickly turns to anger and I have a strong urge to reprimand the culprit, but i never do. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

maybe some farangs (not YOU, OP), give themselves too much importance and expect that locals will go out of their way to be respectful, kind, smiling all the time, etc ... 

most locals in any country are not necessarily racist. they just are too preoccupied with their own lives to be preoccupied with a farang. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bogs smith said:

i dont know how this kind of thing affects you but it actually hurts me. then the hurt quickly turns to anger and I have a strong urge to reprimand the culprit, but i never do. 

I did, or tried to but the guy on the bus was pretending to be asleep, told the tops women when I left her behavior was disgusting.

Just now, marin said:

I too have never experienced anything like you do or have. Been here 35 years now. It may have to do with your overall attitude. Anybody who responds in a way you dont like you are swift to jump, as this post shows. 

Another lottery winner, congrats!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1