Thailand’s military, police on standby for protests if Pita’s PM bid blocked

webfact

31 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Sporadic violence, including shootings, bomb attempts and grenades thrown at protesters led to 28 deaths and over 800 injuries during the course of the protests.

yes from the thugs close to the government against the yellow...not from the military.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, bannork said:

Pita getting a rapturous reception at Thai women's volleyball match with Turkey 

I have no sound here, but on the video I only see him not people cheering him....

44 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

A coup is defined as a violent and unlawful seizure of power from an elected government.

if it is not violent it is not violent...no matter what you "define".

unlawful: yes

elected government in this case no: it was an EXPIRED caretaker government which had no base in the constitution. Their duty would would have been to report their failure to the King. Who than could install a caretaker government who prepares for new elections. But the government was unlawful glued to their chairs.

The right way would have been that the courts remove the government not the military. So the military is still wrong but it is not the way you describe it.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, h90 said:

elected government in this case no: it was an EXPIRED caretaker government which had no base in the constitution. Their duty would would have been to report their failure to the King. Who than could install a caretaker government who prepares for new elections. But the government was unlawful glued to their chairs.

The right way would have been that the courts remove the government not the military. So the military is still wrong but it is not the way you describe it.

A coup is a  violent act and illegal no matter how nonsenical you sound. Seizing power is an violent act. Precursor coup events of violent acts in which the military shoot and killed protestors were aspects of reasoningsfor staging the coup.  .

The caretaker government role was to organize an election as soon as possible. Foolish interpretation by you.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, h90 said:

If the coup was not violent, Prayuth should have come empty handed and politely asked the politicians to have a chat.

People only obeyed him because he had weapons which by their nature threaten violence 

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

A coup is a  violent act and illegal no matter how nonsenical you sound. Seizing power is an violent act. Precursor coup events of violent acts in which the military shoot and killed protestors were aspects of reasoningsfor staging the coup.  .

The caretaker government role was to organize an election as soon as possible. Foolish interpretation by you.  

an expired caretaker government can not organize anything....they are as illegal as the coupmaker....the word is EXPIRED.....

26 minutes ago, bannork said:

If the coup was not violent, Prayuth should have come empty handed and politely asked the politicians to have a chat.

People only obeyed him because he had weapons which by their nature threaten violence 

yes OK, than everyone who got bodily harm should be refunded....just there is no one

2 hours ago, h90 said:

yes from the thugs close to the government against the yellow...not from the military.

Jeez, even Prayut admitted in one of his first tv broadcasts after taking power that yellow shirts were amongst those commiting acts of violence.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, h90 said:

an expired caretaker government can not organize anything....they are as illegal as the coupmaker....the word is EXPIRED.....

That was an opinion by a group of academics called Siam Prachapiwat that has no legal merits. You are embarrassing yourself.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, h90 said:

yes OK, than everyone who got bodily harm should be refunded....just there is no one

Because no one wanted to get shot.

Should Yingluck have challenged Prayuth to some arm wrestling? 

If I come round to your house with a gun and tell you to do everything I say, am I committing a serious crime?

Yes, I'm clearly threatening violence, perhaps death 

If I come round to your house empty handed and tell you to do everything I say, am I committing a serious crime?

No, I'm being a pain in the backside and perhaps mentally ill.

A coup is a violent act because it threatens injury or death if resisted..

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, bannork said:

Because no one wanted to get shot.

Should Yingluck have challenged Prayuth to some arm wrestling? 

If I come round to your house with a gun and tell you to do everything I say, am I committing a serious crime?

Yes, I'm clearly threatening violence, perhaps death 

If I come round to your house empty handed and tell you to do everything I say, am I committing a serious crime?

No, I'm being a pain in the backside and perhaps mentally ill.

A coup is a violent act because it threatens injury or death if resisted..

now you already downgraded it from violence to serious crime and threatening violence.....
Threatening violence and violence is something different.....

I agree it was threatening violence. If he would have slapped Yingluck it would have been violence...but he didn't.

Keeping sitting on your chair and ordering people around when you are expired is also a crime.

Imagine your hated Prayut leads a caretaker government that is expired....I am sure you would agree to carry him out of the PMs office together with the chair he glued himself on, right....Same case....Expired illegal government.

59 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

That was an opinion by a group of academics called Siam Prachapiwat that has no legal merits. You are embarrassing yourself.

No one doubts that the government was expired.....You don't need academics to interpret that word.

1 hour ago, edwinchester said:

Jeez, even Prayut admitted in one of his first tv broadcasts after taking power that yellow shirts were amongst those commiting acts of violence.

yes but that is off topic...I didn't dispute that.

13 hours ago, h90 said:

No one doubts that the government was expired.....You don't need academics to interpret that word.

The government was expired because the Suthep crowd wouldn't allow elections.

What did the constitution say should replace an expired government?  If it didn't cover that contingency, the only reasonable solution is for the "expired" government to continue governing until a new government is selected through elections, not a military coup.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, heybruce said:

The government was expired because the Suthep crowd wouldn't allow elections.

What did the constitution say should replace an expired government?  If it didn't cover that contingency, the only reasonable solution is for the "expired" government to continue governing until a new government is selected through elections, not a military coup.

yes because Suthep made troubles with the elections....but they why doesn't matter.

When the government is expired, means there is no government, the old government has to "inform" the king about the power vacuum. Don't know all his options, but the most common would be to install a government of bureaucrats which prepares for new elections.

And if someone think that is not democratic, something like 3 years ago we had such a government in Austria, installed by the president. No one complained about it.

There can be different opinions on what to do, but one thing is for sure you can't continue to govern, because a) there is an expiration date, if it wouldn't matter than there would be no expiration date and b) think thru what that means, it would open the door for any dictator, every government that may loose can sabotage the elections and remain in power for infinity.

53 minutes ago, h90 said:

yes because Suthep made troubles with the elections....but they why doesn't matter.

When the government is expired, means there is no government, the old government has to "inform" the king about the power vacuum. Don't know all his options, but the most common would be to install a government of bureaucrats which prepares for new elections.

And if someone think that is not democratic, something like 3 years ago we had such a government in Austria, installed by the president. No one complained about it.

There can be different opinions on what to do, but one thing is for sure you can't continue to govern, because a) there is an expiration date, if it wouldn't matter than there would be no expiration date and b) think thru what that means, it would open the door for any dictator, every government that may loose can sabotage the elections and remain in power for infinity.

So you are accusing the military of not allowing the king to install a new government.  That's in addition to the illegal coup.

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

So you are accusing the military of not allowing the king to install a new government.  That's in addition to the illegal coup.

no I am accusing the old government for not doing their duty and ask for help as Thailand was without legal government.....so actually they old government seized power that was not theirs.

That is not the military fault...caused by Suthep....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bannork said:

A coup can be bloodless because the population don't fight back but it's a seizure of power by use of force. That is violence.

the population did not fight back...because they weren't much against it....which also showed as Prayuth won the popular vote years later in the election.

Coups are something very common in Thailand...part of the political culture....and not a big drama like it would be in Europe.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

Total Rubbish !!  for 1 Payut WAS not Elected by the Thai people, you need to get your facts right before spouting rubbish posts

h90 was asked previously to show where , when and how Phayut waws elected by the people, he  can't but keeps up spouting the same nonsense ---   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Artisi said:

h90 was asked previously to show where , when and how Phayut waws elected by the people, he  can't but keeps up spouting the same nonsense ---   

agree he spouts Rubbish  just a troll

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, bannork said:

A coup can be bloodless because the population don't fight back but it's a seizure of power by use of force. That is violence.

Sounds like clutching at straws to me.....