Barriers to transgender people accessing Thailand’s healthcare system

webfact

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

you do NOT get to completely distort the well defined actual meaning of a totally legitimate word.

Not really, and where we disagree.  Not in my dictionary for use .. ever.  Just because someone else 'legitimizes' it, doesn't make it so, in my world.  

That goes with so many other things.   May even be redefined in years to come, or added to the 'slur' words, banned everywhere.   Agendas have a tendency to do that.   

This new, current agenda, I'll never get on board with, as completely silly & unnecessary.

It's only purpose is divisionary, and people are falling for it.   Kind of sad really.

People and sexuality, preference hasn't changed since the beginning of humans strolling around on this rock.   Don't need new words, or any really, to describe what has always been.  People enjoying theirs and other's bodies.

Do we really need more subcategories of;

H. sapien

... male

... female

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/26/2023 at 6:11 PM, h90 said:

How would someone see at healthcare if you are gay or not gay? That is not something that can be seen....

Old....I fully agree

Obese: I do understand that healthcare who want to help people have a problem if their customer damage themself on purpose....Being obese is a lifestyle choice.

95% of the time you can see a gay person

On 6/26/2023 at 8:39 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

"Cisgender" sounds a bit like a disease... What's wrong with the good old 'heterosexual'? (I know it's not 100% the same, but I don't feel comfortable to get labelled with 'weird' words, only because a small minority, who feels they are something else than what they actually are, feels more comfortable thanks to such, relatively new, labels...

Mr/sir will do. How most people talk.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bignok said:

Not really but it's medically necessary for doctors to know their patients are gay as  gay people have different health issues and risks and if the patient feels they need to be in the closet, either they avoid the care entirelely and/or they get substandard care or if out or detected if they are closeted they sometimes get cared for by bigots, and that is not pleasant. 

To add, the medical term that is used is men who have sex with men, as many such men do not identify as gay.

I once had a great doctor who had a great technique which I'll never forget. While examing me during a time with no eye contact, he calmly asked if I had sex with men in an obvioiusly non judgemental tone. To give the best care, he needed to know that.

Edited by Jingthing

4 minutes ago, bignok said:

I guess you've never been to a alternative lifestyle bar, or know many gay people.

They are not like the stereotypes portrayed on TV series, or the tourist attraction Katoeys or OTT (look at me) ones found in TH.

You'd really be surprise how 'normal' they look, and OMG, they walk amongst us.  Truck driver's, all union trade workers, teachers, stock broker's, and every profession.  Until making eye contact and talking to them, you'd never have a clue, and only if they want you to.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

I guess you've never been to a alternative lifestyle bar, or know many gay people.

They are not like the stereotypes portrayed on TV series, or the tourist attraction Katoeys or OTT (look at me) ones found in TH.

You'd really be surprise how 'normal' they look, and OMG, they walk amongst us.  Truck driver's, all union trade workers, teachers, stock broker's, and every profession.  Until making eye contact and talking to them, you'd never have a clue, and only if they want you to.

Eye contact wouldn't tell either unless they are interested in you "that way" and reckon most of the members here are not of great interest to gay men in that way. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Pretty easy to spot gay Thais. Farangs maybe not so easy as I hardly see any farangs most days.

16 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Probably bi not gay.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Pretty easy to spot gay Thais. Farangs maybe not so easy as I hardly see any farangs most days.

Again you're wrong.

You notice the noticeable gay Thais.

You don't notice the ones that aren't noticeable. 
No difference!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, bignok said:

It is how it works. I travel a lot. I see all types. I can pick the personality of most people pretty quick

Again you tag the obvious ones as gay. The majority are not obvious so you ASSUME they are straight or bi. 

As a non obvious gay man, I know this.

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Again you tag the obvious ones as gay. The majority are not obvious so you ASSUME they are straight or bi. 

As a non obvious gay man, I know this.

I normally don't assume anything as I don't look at guys for long. If I talked to you for 5 minutes I could work out your personality and interests.

Just now, bignok said:

60 seconds studying body language vs 2 second glance big difference.

This is getting silly. 

Humans generally get their first impressions of people in seconds.

I am not talking about running around and "hunting" for gay men. 

14 hours ago, KhunLA said:
14 hours ago, bignok said:

Yes, just think of Chandler Bing. Everyone thought he was gay, till he got it on with Monica...

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This is getting silly. 

Humans generally get their first impressions of people in seconds.

I am not talking about running around and "hunting" for gay men. 

So now you saying people can generally tell.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I grew up with rotary phones, tape recorders that held tape, and answering machines were revolutionary technology. Societies progress. New words come into wide usage. Not all individuals can be expected to progress with societies.

But you know the meaning of CD, DVD. SIM Card, SD-card, computer, streaming, Zoom, Skype and a host of other words that did not exist at the time. Selective ignorance cannot be used to justify bigotry.

• Thumbs Up 2