AIS data-only package

NanLaew

I noticed the above referenced AIS SIM net marathon Sim has the exclusion "sharing Internet via Hotspot".

Over on DTAC's online "best value" deals is the following 1-year SIM that works out at ~208 baht/month excl. tax. It also prohibits hot spotting. NB: It's only available via their app.

1724590527_notforhot-spot.jpg.799857d52651b4340077b7d131c64510.jpg

Is using either of these SIM in my O2 dongle to create Wi-Fi for sharing internet the same as "hot spotting" on a smartphone? I did notice yesterday while browsing AIS's offers that some SIM were specifically stated as being suitable for using in a dongle or router.

Edited by NanLaew

22 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I noticed the above referenced AIS SIM net marathon Sim has the exclusion "sharing Internet via Hotspot".

Mine works fine as mobile hotspot.

Sharing from my mobile and checked on my notebook which is now on AIS and has no SIM.

Download 45.7 Mbit/s, upload 8.41.

Numbers much due to fairly weak AIS signal in the home.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Just checked on Lazada and see much higher prices.

Confused for now.

Maybe they are now 5G capable while for mine (May 23) it was explicitly stated that it is 4G no matter what is printed on the package.

5G is not necessary for the typical application and data rates but now seems a good money maker.

But still on the AIS website and no mention of mobile hotspot prohibited?

https://www.ais.th/one-2-call/sim-netmarathon/en/

Edited by KhunBENQ

• The rights to use the service and the specified service rates are reserved for normal domestic usage only.
  • In order to maintain service quality standard and to keep quality network experience for overall subscribers, the company reserves the rights to manage the network as the company deems appropriate including but not limited to limiting or decreasing network speed in case it is found that there is large volume of continuous data transfer, using BitTorrent, sharing Internet via Hotspot, downloading and/or uploading large files, consuming usage for commercial purposes, or any usage which impacts or creates unfairness to other subscribers, or creates impediments to the network of the company.

You could either read that hotspot is totally prohibited or is just within the "fair usage" rules. As written mine works.

33 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Mine works fine as mobile hotspot.

Sharing from my mobile and checked on my notebook which is now on AIS and has no SIM.

Download 45.7 Mbit/s, upload 8.41.

Numbers much due to fairly weak AIS signal in the home.

Thanks for confirming that. I would assume that their network would autosense multiple devices on a single user and anyone creating regular, multi-phone connections would simply see their bandwidth hobbled. As you subsequently suggest, it's 'fair use'.

14 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Confused for now.

Maybe they are now 5G capable while for mine (May 23) it was explicitly stated that it is 4G no matter what is printed on the package.

5G is not necessary for the typical application and data rates but now seems a good money maker.

I bought my 1-year DTAC SIM Thep 30Mbps for my office router on lazada last December for ฿1,689. Just hit up the same reseller and the same SIM is now ฿1,950.

Anyway, I will go for a 1-year option as then I don't have to worry about it running out while I am away from the fort. More efficient and cheaper too.

Edited by NanLaew

44 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes, a lot of the AIS 12-month 15 Mbps are sold out and the few that are still around are around ฿2,190 but I found a 12-month 8 Mbps for ฿1,890.

I reckon I will still hit the AIS store and see if they have stock. Although the 8 Mbps is probably more than adequate for me, why pay more for less?

59 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, a lot of the AIS 12-month 15 Mbps are sold out and the few that are still around are around ฿2,190 but I found a 12-month 8 Mbps for ฿1,890.

I reckon I will still hit the AIS store and see if they have stock. Although the 8 Mbps is probably more than adequate for me, why pay more for less?

Since you are only interested in the data component, you can apply the 15 Mbps component to any AIS SIM, for 1890 baht. That includes 12 months usage of Disney + Hotstar. 

50 minutes ago, NextG said:

Since you are only interested in the data component, you can apply the 15 Mbps component to any AIS SIM, for 1890 baht. That includes 12 months usage of Disney + Hotstar. 

Good stuff, many thanks.

https://www.ais.th/disney/en/ 

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Over on DTAC's online "best value" deals is the following 1-year SIM that works out at ~208 baht/month excl. tax. It also prohibits hot spotting. NB: It's only available via their app.

1724590527_notforhot-spot.jpg.799857d52651b4340077b7d131c64510.jpg

Is using either of these SIM in my O2 dongle to create Wi-Fi for sharing internet the same as "hot spotting" on a smartphone? I did notice yesterday while browsing AIS's offers that some SIM were specifically stated as being suitable for using in a dongle or router.

Their 4Mbps and 10Mbps packages might still be available @ 2139 baht and 3209 baht incl. respectively. 
The Hotspot clause is likely just there to discourage anyone from using it for commercial purpose. 

55 minutes ago, NextG said:

https://www.ais.th/package/en/package_entertain_content_disney.html

*777*963# or just click through the link after topping up 1900 baht. 

Very much appreciated.

39 minutes ago, NextG said:

https://www.ais.th/disney/en/ 

Their 4Mbps and 10Mbps packages might still be available @ 2139 baht and 3209 baht incl. respectively. 
The Hotspot clause is likely just there to discourage anyone from using it for commercial purpose. 

Thanks for the information and clarification.

It might be worth checking on coverage, as the modem might support more bands of another network, so might be better suited to that network. 
For instance, if it supports just one high frequency band of one network but both low and high frequency waveband of another, you might receive better coverage from the latter. 
At least a cursory speed check between AIS and DTAC using that particular modem. 

10 hours ago, NextG said:

It might be worth checking on coverage, as the modem might support more bands of another network, so might be better suited to that network. 
For instance, if it supports just one high frequency band of one network but both low and high frequency waveband of another, you might receive better coverage from the latter. 
At least a cursory speed check between AIS and DTAC using that particular modem. 

Good idea. Since I already have data-enabled AIS and DTAC SIMs in other devices, I can check that out.

The ZTE MF60 has 3G quad-band GSM and tri-band UMTS. Specification: - Data service HSDPA/HSUPA/UMTS 850/1900/2100 MHz - GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz - HSPA+: DL 21.6Mbps, UL 5.76Mbps.

39 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Good idea. Since I already have data-enabled AIS and DTAC SIMs in other devices, I can check that out.

The ZTE MF60 has 3G quad-band GSM and tri-band UMTS. Specification: - Data service HSDPA/HSUPA/UMTS 850/1900/2100 MHz - GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz - HSPA+: DL 21.6Mbps, UL 5.76Mbps.

AIS compatible with 2100 MHz.
DTAC and Truemove H both 850 MHz & 2100 MHz. 
Lower frequency might offer better reception/penetration. 

On 6/26/2023 at 12:27 PM, NanLaew said:

As far as I can tell, it's available as an add-on to my long-standing AIS service. I haven't been able to find anything similar 'standalone' on their website. The website is a bit of a challenge as some pages don't have 'EN' option available and a few of them that do, being their online purchase portal, throw up a "Thai citizens only" page when you select 'EN'.

yeah, and not to mention all the flying ads and silly colors distracting from the business at hand....

https://asset.conrad.com/media10/add/160267/c1/-/en/000319134ML03/gebruiksaanwijzing-319134-zte-mf60-mifi-router.pdf

Dependent on the package you choose at the end, it might be worth spending the 500 baht on an updated LTE capable mobile router. Some will even give access to Band 40 for you to be able to consider the NT Wireless Thunder SIM @ 999 baht for max speed and unlimited volume fixed point Internet. 
If you have good enough reception for that in your den, you can perhaps do a swap. Thunder SIM in the den and existing DTAC 30 Mbps in the mobile modem. 
Time to check for Band 40 reception utilising your MR600…

Edited by NextG

On 6/26/2023 at 1:06 PM, NanLaew said:

Yes, it's a pretty dynamic market but I would need to get a SIM first. My lad wants to go to Central this afternoon so I may bite the bullet and drop by the AIS store and see what they can offer me. Maybe with evidence of my current voice/data prepaid of over 18 years standing, they may conjure up a "special" for me.

Only call centre can do that. 

• Confused 2

21 hours ago, NextG said:

Only call centre can do that. 

That is incorrect.  If you go to a fully fledged AIS store, not a phone kiosk in a mall, they will be able to do anything that the call center can do.  The advantage is that you are face to face with a number of people with expertise in the various services they provide and of course access to a manager if required.

I have done this many times in the CM AIS shop(s).

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

That is incorrect.  If you go to a fully fledged AIS store, not a phone kiosk in a mall, they will be able to do anything that the call center can do.  The advantage is that you are face to face with a number of people with expertise in the various services they provide and of course access to a manager if required.

I have done this many times in the CM AIS shop(s).

You are wrong. It doesn’t matter how many times you repeat your erroneous statement; it will still be wrong.
I wrote that only the call centre can apply certain packages, NOT a shop or service centre. Shops and service centres only have access to certain USSD codes that are sent out to distributors . I know. Whereas you are just making something up and hoping that it is correct.  
If for instance, you had the experience of having an exclusive package applied whilst in store, you might have an argument. But you haven’t; you are simply asserting something about which you have no knowledge. 
I will reiterate; only the call centres can apply certain packages. For instance when a promo package expires after six months; a shop or service centre will only help you to apply a currently available package. Ones that you could apply for yourself. Call centre has other options. 

Some of us have packages that no one else has. You don’t. 

As to their expertise, there is good reason why people ask for advice here. Have you ever seen an unlimited 30 Mbps SIM package sold in an AIS store? They were available via independent distributors and not through AIS shops and service centres. 
Similarly with DTAC…. have you seen them advertising Unlimited 30 Mbps anywhere on their official website? But you can obtain it freely. Just not at a network outlet. 

So how would those ‘knowledgeable’ people in-store apply it for you? 
You should stop. Really. 

Edited by NextG

26 minutes ago, NextG said:

You should stop. Really. 

So should you stop making false categorical statements. 

The manager of the shop can arrange anything the call center can do!

What does it matter if he/she calls the center. 

Why do you not understand that?

I would rather talk face to face rather than muck about with call centers!

Edited by scottiejohn

28 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

So should you stop making false categorical statements. 

The manager of the shop can arrange anything the call center can do!

What does it matter if he/she calls the center. 

Why do you not understand that?

I would rather talk face to face rather than muck about with call centers!

It is you who is making false statements. You cannot come up with a single exclusive package given to you at a shop. Not even one example. 
The manager cannot do everything a call centre can do. They can do different things. But for special packages, they have to defer to the call centres. 

If you want to travel to a store in order to get a manager to contact the call centre for you, that’s your prerogative. My statement was only to inform that only the call centres can offer special packages not in the public domain. The shops and service centres centres cannot. 
If you need to visit a shop in order for them to call a call centre for you, that says something about you. 

Edited by NextG
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, NextG said:
23 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

BS!

So tells us your anecdote of an AIS shop offering you a deal not available to the general public. For example, scubascuba’s 10 Mbps for 150 baht per 30 days. What was your offer and which shop/service centre?

As the OP, it behooves me to rate the contributors to this thread.

@NextG NextG.jpg.19e5111a749ed844146b5baf92397cee.jpg

@scottiejohn scottiejohn.jpg.34169eaf6bb429e38d0755d0649490e1.jpg

Note to the mods, as the OP, I have obtained sufficient information so this thread can be shuttered before someone has heart attack.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

If you have version 2 of the MR-600, you should be able to lock-in Band 40 exclusively.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/241534

Try it with a DTAC SIM. 
NT Wireless and DTAC are sharing three blocks of 20 MHz @ Band 40. 60% for DTAC; 40% for NT, AFAIK. 
Maybe worth checking with NT Wireless with regard to availability. 

https://wcsoss.totwbs.com/promotion

Call 1888

You get a 7 day 500MB trial if you follow their instructions. If not suitable, you get your money back. But first you have to check with them to see if the service is available at your place. 
This of course if you have not travelled this road before. 

2 hours ago, NextG said:

If you have version 2 of the MR-600, you should be able to lock-in Band 40 exclusively.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/241534

Try it with a DTAC SIM. 

I have a DTAC already in the MR-600 which is v2.

Had a look at the Status and the Band displayed was "40,40". That was with the SIM installed as-is, no previous tweaks.

I had a look at the WAN settings and tried the manual band selection, just to see how that works and it said there was none available. Went back to the Status and it now displays band 28.

The TP-Link support page says:

Note:

1. The band selection is for the 4G network, if the 4G band you selected is not supported by your carrier, it might fall back to the 3G network or no service at all.
  2. If the band displayed on the Status page still changes sometimes after you select one band manually, please check if it falls back to WCDMA which is the 3G network, if so, it is normal. If you are sure the 4G signal in the area is strong and stable, you could change the Network Mode from 4G Preferred to 4G only on the Advanced > Network > Internet page.
  3. For LTE CAT 4 Routers like TL-MR100, TL-MR6500v, etc., they don’t support carrier aggregation, thus they could only work on one single band even though you selected multiple bands;

For LTE CAT6 Router Archer MR600, Carrier Aggregation is supported and enabled by default. For the supported bands and band combinations, please check the specification of the product on our official website. However, whether and how the bands will be aggregated is related to the base station as well, we are unable to force it to work on 4G+ or force it to work on a specific band combination. Therefore, when you select two or more bands, the MR600 might work on only one band as well. If your SIM card supports different band combinations in 4G+ mode, you could also try other supported band combinations.

Anyway, it's still displaying 4G (and streaming the Second Test!) but I wonder if the SIM was set on band 40 by default 'out of the box' and it's now irreversibly on band 28 when I tried to select something that DTAC says isn't available.

14 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I have a DTAC already in the MR-600 which is v2.

Had a look at the Status and the Band displayed was "40,40". That was with the SIM installed as-is, no previous tweaks.

I had a look at the WAN settings and tried the manual band selection, just to see how that works and it said there was none available. Went back to the Status and it now displays band 28.

The TP-Link support page says:

Note:

1. The band selection is for the 4G network, if the 4G band you selected is not supported by your carrier, it might fall back to the 3G network or no service at all.
  2. If the band displayed on the Status page still changes sometimes after you select one band manually, please check if it falls back to WCDMA which is the 3G network, if so, it is normal. If you are sure the 4G signal in the area is strong and stable, you could change the Network Mode from 4G Preferred to 4G only on the Advanced > Network > Internet page.
  3. For LTE CAT 4 Routers like TL-MR100, TL-MR6500v, etc., they don’t support carrier aggregation, thus they could only work on one single band even though you selected multiple bands;

For LTE CAT6 Router Archer MR600, Carrier Aggregation is supported and enabled by default. For the supported bands and band combinations, please check the specification of the product on our official website. However, whether and how the bands will be aggregated is related to the base station as well, we are unable to force it to work on 4G+ or force it to work on a specific band combination. Therefore, when you select two or more bands, the MR600 might work on only one band as well. If your SIM card supports different band combinations in 4G+ mode, you could also try other supported band combinations.

Anyway, it's still displaying 4G (and streaming the Second Test!) but I wonder if the SIM was set on band 40 by default 'out of the box' and it's now irreversibly on band 28 when I tried to select something that DTAC says isn't available.

You should set it to 4G only. I have Band 40 because I use the Thunder. Go to Band select manual and then search - can take a while. Then you see all bands you can select. 

SmartSelect_20230629-190623_Maxthon Browser.jpg

I did try 4G only but still couldn't pick any bands, says they are not available. Rebooted too, same same, band 28. I'll try the band select a few times and see if it picks up anything.

EDit: Yup, that did it thanks. Took longer to search but eventually displayed maybe half-a-dozen band choices.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Haha 1