AIS data-only package

NanLaew

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

This looks like it could be handy. For my locale, it shows AIS leads TRUE with DTAC a close third. NT looks like a bit of a black hole.

https://www.nperf.com/en/map/TH/-/3379.TOT-Mobile/signal/?ll=13.152388677984096&lg=101.49499999999998&zoom=5

You have to test at your location with your devices. Everything else are just assumptions. 

I did many tests with True, AIS, Dtac, NT Work & Learn, NT Thunder, with 2 different SIM routers (CAT 4 & CAT 6), different tablets and phones and even at completely different locations in Pattaya. It is not so easy. For instance if you move the router to a different position in your condo you might/will get different results already. And then the time of the day, the day of the week and even the weather.... I posted a very long story about all this in this forum...

The question of course is whether you want to find the best option or just something good enough for your purpose. In the latter case it is much easier ????

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I have a DTAC already in the MR-600 which is v2.

Had a look at the Status and the Band displayed was "40,40". That was with the SIM installed as-is, no previous tweaks.

I had a look at the WAN settings and tried the manual band selection, just to see how that works and it said there was none available. Went back to the Status and it now displays band 28.

The TP-Link support page says:

Note:

1. The band selection is for the 4G network, if the 4G band you selected is not supported by your carrier, it might fall back to the 3G network or no service at all.
  2. If the band displayed on the Status page still changes sometimes after you select one band manually, please check if it falls back to WCDMA which is the 3G network, if so, it is normal. If you are sure the 4G signal in the area is strong and stable, you could change the Network Mode from 4G Preferred to 4G only on the Advanced > Network > Internet page.
  3. For LTE CAT 4 Routers like TL-MR100, TL-MR6500v, etc., they don’t support carrier aggregation, thus they could only work on one single band even though you selected multiple bands;

For LTE CAT6 Router Archer MR600, Carrier Aggregation is supported and enabled by default. For the supported bands and band combinations, please check the specification of the product on our official website. However, whether and how the bands will be aggregated is related to the base station as well, we are unable to force it to work on 4G+ or force it to work on a specific band combination. Therefore, when you select two or more bands, the MR600 might work on only one band as well. If your SIM card supports different band combinations in 4G+ mode, you could also try other supported band combinations.

Anyway, it's still displaying 4G (and streaming the Second Test!) but I wonder if the SIM was set on band 40 by default 'out of the box' and it's now irreversibly on band 28 when I tried to select something that DTAC says isn't available.

No. One way or another, you can set the band yourself. So don’t be concerned about having done something wrong. 
Your description makes it sound as if you can utilise 2x LTE Band 40(2CA). Fertile conditions for the Thunder SIM. 
Looking good… 

I would get on to them to confirm you are within coverage and/or simply order one via their Shopee site and get it registered. A one month SIM to test or just plump for the 12 month one if you are feeling lucky ????

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

This looks like it could be handy. For my locale, it shows AIS leads TRUE with DTAC a close third. NT looks like a bit of a black hole.

https://www.nperf.com/en/map/TH/-/3379.TOT-Mobile/signal/?ll=13.152388677984096&lg=101.49499999999998&zoom=5

NT Mobile is not the same thing as NT Wireless. 
The clue is in the name. One is for fixed point home Internet. It’s not for travelling around. That’s why the Thunder becomes the one that stays at home. As long as you have decent Band 40 reception at your location. One of your other mobile SIM can go into the MiFi. 
Mobile SIM can roam on to other bands, such as DTAC switching to LTE Band 28. The NT Wireless SIM will only work on Band 40. 

On 6/30/2023 at 3:00 AM, NextG said:

NT Mobile is not the same thing as NT Wireless. 
The clue is in the name. One is for fixed point home Internet. It’s not for travelling around. That’s why the Thunder becomes the one that stays at home. As long as you have decent Band 40 reception at your location. One of your other mobile SIM can go into the MiFi. 
Mobile SIM can roam on to other bands, such as DTAC switching to LTE Band 28. The NT Wireless SIM will only work on Band 40. 

OK, thanks for the clarification. I just checked my location for NT service using their online thingmabob (from the link https://wcsoss.totwbs.com/promotion provided earlier) and it says "Sorry, the area you selected is not available yet. The available area is 0.71 km from you." That broadly correlates with the map of coverage for NT Mobile coverage on https://www.nperf.com/en/map/TH/-/3379.TOT-Mobile/signal/?ll=17.405315277086004&lg=102.82005786895753&zoom=15

That ~700 meters suggests that if I'm not in black hole, the signal strength maybe isn't up to supporting Thunder's full capability in a fixed location, no?

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

OK, thanks for the clarification. I just checked my location for NT service using their online thingmabob (from the link https://wcsoss.totwbs.com/promotion provided earlier) and it says "Sorry, the area you selected is not available yet. The available area is 0.71 km from you." That broadly correlates with the map of coverage for NT Mobile coverage on https://www.nperf.com/en/map/TH/-/3379.TOT-Mobile/signal/?ll=17.405315277086004&lg=102.82005786895753&zoom=15

That ~700 meters suggests that if I'm not in black hole, the signal strength maybe isn't up to supporting Thunder's full capability in a fixed location, no?

Did you state that your DTAC SIM was showing reception on Band 40? Even two bands according to your report. Full capability? How can anyone know that? 
If you can spare the 199 baht, go for it. The upside is worth the risk. 

In short, if your DTAC SIM can see Band 40, the NT Wireless SIM should too, as they share the same infrastructure. Of course I don’t know if one can boost the signal for DTAC independently of the NT Wireless signal. That might explain DTAC being in range whilst NT Wireless not. But we won’t know unless you try it out with a test SIM. 

Anyway, who cares about full capability? If you can pull down 30 Mbps or more, you’ll be happy at half the price of the 30 Mbps DTAC SIM. Of course it would be great to get 100 Mbps, but you weren’t expecting that anyway. Anything over 30 is a bonus. 

Edited by NextG

15 minutes ago, NextG said:

In short, if your DTAC SIM can see Band 40, the NT Wireless SIM should too, as they share the same infrastructure. Of course I don’t know if one can boost the signal for DTAC independently of the NT Wireless signal. That might explain DTAC being in range whilst NT Wireless not. But we won’t know unless you try it out with a test SIM. 

Anyway, who cares about full capability? If you can pull down 30 Mbps or more, you’ll be happy at half the price of the 30 Mbps DTAC SIM. Of course it would be great to get 100 Mbps, but you weren’t expecting that anyway. Anything over 30 is a bonus. 

Gotcha, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

^^

On 7/1/2023 at 11:53 AM, NanLaew said:

Did you follow up or go with another option?