Website for temporary flight reservation

I am flying in on a one way flight for a visa exemption. Just to be on the safe side(airline check in sometimes ask for outbound booking. In the past I always had either a visa or a round trip ticket, so not sure what they do when you can't provide proof of a flight out of LOS), I want to get one of these temporary flight reservation. Which agency/website is reliable? You google and get it and you get scores of them.

There is no question in my mind that https://onwardticket.com/ is an inexpensive approach.

If for any reason you feel worried about using such an approach, you could also buy a real ticket for an inexpensive price.  Just pick an international airport in Thailand that has short flights outside of the country. 

For example, if one searches different dates on Krabi to Kuala Lumpur, there are one way Air Asia flights at present that cost only about 1,000 THB (again - try different dates to get the best price).   That's about $29 US$ ... No where near as good as the $12 noted from onwardticket ... but it is a different approach. And its a real ticket (you could even use it if you wanted to go to Krabi to catch the flight). 

That is what I did last year (buying such a ticket). I threw the ticket out afterwards.

• Like 2

I can never understand why people don't buy a fully refundable onward ticket and then just refund it when you get to Thailand.  I've done this many times when traveling on one way tickets to various countries. 

It ends up costing nothing, you get a real onward ticket, and you can buy it as far in advance as you want.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

I can never understand why people don't buy a fully refundable onward ticket and then just refund it when you get to Thailand. 

I can fully understand why some folk choose the convince of the option outlined above. (rent a flight) 

Would be my choice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Phillip9 said:

I can never understand why people don't buy a fully refundable onward ticket and then just refund it when you get to Thailand.  I've done this many times when traveling on one way tickets to various countries. 

It ends up costing nothing, you get a real onward ticket, and you can buy it as far in advance as you want.

Fully Flexible/Refundable tickets are more expensive than a restricted ticket so it does cost you when you purchase the ticket but I get some guys want the flexibility so are willing to pay more. 

40 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Fully Flexible/Refundable tickets are more expensive than a restricted ticket so it does cost you when you purchase the ticket but I get some guys want the flexibility so are willing to pay more. 

True, refundable tickets cost a bit more, but they are not ridiculously expensive.  When entering Thailand on a one way ticket, I can usually find a fully refundable onward ticket to a nearby destination for about 4000 baht.  But I just put that on my credit card and refund it as soon as I arrive (which takes a few clicks and less than a minute of my time).  

The whole thing costs nothing, takes about the same effort as buying a rent a flight, and you get the added benefit of having a real usable ticket incase questioned by an immigration officer upon arrival.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

I can usually find a fully refundable onward ticket to a nearby destination for about 4000 baht.  But I just put that on my credit card and refund it as soon as I arrive (which takes a few clicks and less than a minute of my time).  

Out of interest please provide one actual example. 

You stated ..."I usually find fully refundable onward ticket...." 

Airline and route and cost.

My experience is very different.

Especially with low cost airlines.

Even when select cancellation protection.

In any event it's one of 4 options. 

You also stated ,.,

"having a real usable ticket incase questioned by an immigration officer upon arrival." 

That is nonsense.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Love It 1

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Out of interest please provide one actual example. 

You stated ..."I usually find fully refundable onward ticket...." 

Airline and route and cost.

My experience is very different.

Especially with low cost airlines.

Even when select cancellation protection.

In any event it's one of 4 options. 

You also stated ,.,

"having a real usable ticket incase questioned by an immigration officer upon arrival." 

That is nonsense.

You're right, it's not easy to find fully refundable tickets. I've heard that Malaysian Airlines have them.

3 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

You're right, it's not easy to find fully refundable tickets. I've heard that Malaysian Airlines have them.

I researched last year, and I could not find such a 'fully refundable ticket' - so I am curious to learn more.

10 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

Who cares about 100 baht or so

Which airline is that (allowing a cancellation for only 100 THB) ?

For example for a Fully Flex ticket with Thai Airlines, it typically costs 2,000 THB to cancel  (and obtain a refund of the remaining amount paid for the ticket).

2 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Or you could just go without an onward ticket which is free

Depends on airline apparently but I know for a fact that Thai Airways and Singapore Airlines don't check for onward flight 

Which Airport were you flying from because I've flown with SIA from Changi & not been asked for an onward ticket (though I was PPS at the time) but have been asked by them for an onward flight when travelling back from Manchester (UK), at that time I showed them my Singapore Employment Pass & all was OK. 

Completely different story for a Mate of mine who was travelling back with Emirates from Birmingham & had to buy a return ticket from Singapore even though he had an EP to show he worked there. 

Edit: Just remembered, I have been asked by Silk Air (SIA's budget carrier) for an onward ticket when flying to Davao, at that time I was coming back via Kalibo/Boracay on (I think) Tiger (Could have been Air Asia) so was able to show them the return ticket albeit with a different airline & from a different airport in the Philippines.

Have also been asked by Scoot (Another SIA Budget carrier) for a return ticket when travelling to KL But at that time I'd quit my job & was leaving Singapore so showed them my Exit letter from IRAS (Singapore Tax Authority) & they couldn't really stop me from leaving. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

5 hours ago, oldcpu said:

Which airline is that (allowing a cancellation for only 100 THB) ?

For example for a Fully Flex ticket with Thai Airlines, it typically costs 2,000 THB to cancel  (and obtain a refund of the remaining amount paid for the ticket).

I mean the credit card fee is usually around 100 baht. A lot of Asian low-cost airlines charge it.

7 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Or you could just go without an onward ticket which is free

Depends on airline apparently but I know for a fact that Thai Airways and Singapore Airlines don't check for onward flight 

I regularly fly Airasia and Vietjet from Saigon to BBK, and I would say 2 out of 3 times they asked to see my onward flight booking. 

8 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

I regularly fly Airasia and Vietjet from Saigon to BBK, and I would say 2 out of 3 times they asked to see my onward flight booking. 

I find that amazing.

In the sense that the route you describe Saigon to Bangkok with those airlines would be 100% requiring onward flight. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/29/2023 at 10:38 PM, DrJack54 said:

I find that amazing.

In the sense that the route you describe Saigon to Bangkok with those airlines would be 100% requiring onward flight. 

Well, got my onward flight reservation this afternoon, and ,of course, they didn't ask for it just now at check-in. Bet ,if I hadn't gotten one, they would have asked. ????????

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Well, got my onward flight reservation this afternoon, and ,of course, they didn't ask for it just now at check-in. Bet ,if I hadn't gotten one, they would have asked. ????????

Which airline which route.

1 minute ago, thecyclist said:

Airasia Thai, Saigon to Don Mueang FD659..Running an hour late.

If flying visa exempt that would be be mistake from AirAsia check in chick.

Don't doubt your account.

Just for other readers this is an outliner.

AirAsia will insist upon onward flight flying visa exempt Saigon to Thailand. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If flying visa exempt that would be be mistake from AirAsia check in chick.

Don't doubt your account.

Just for other readers this is an outliner.

AirAsia will insist upon onward flight flying visa exempt Saigon to Thailand. 

Yes,I would say more often than not they do ask.But it wasn't the first time that they didn't. I know a Hongkong Chinese with a British passport who also flies back and forth ,Saigon ,Bangkok, always vietjet on visa exemptions,who told me that they rarely ask him. Could be because he speaks perfect Vietnamese. I think the risk for airlines is minimal. Probably doesn't happen that often that they have to fly someone back, and in the end that someone will be made to reimburse the airline. 

On 6/28/2023 at 1:53 PM, JoseThailand said:

Expedia provides the service I use. For many non-discount flights, they provide a 24 hour no fee cancellation policy. So I go to the airport a bit early. If they want an onward ticket, book one of the refundable ones and after getting to the gate, cancel it. Yes, there's a temporary hold on your credit card but who cares.

The onwardticket fans, and it's always the same few, as this topic comes up quite often, always say the same thing. I think they must have financial interest in that company, as it's clearly not the best solution. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/29/2023 at 12:46 PM, CartagenaWarlock said:
On 6/28/2023 at 9:27 AM, thecyclist said:

Airlines often charge you for paying with a card.

Which airlines? Never heard this nonsense. 

It's not nonsense.  When making a domestic flight in Thailand there are airlines that charge extra for making use of a credit-card to book the flight.

4 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

It's not nonsense.  When making a domestic flight in Thailand there are airlines that charge extra for making use of a credit-card to book the flight.

Is that a Thai or a foreign card.  

Please name the ones that you have had declined!

23 hours ago, gargamon said:

Expedia provides the service I use. For many non-discount flights, they provide a 24 hour no fee cancellation policy. So I go to the airport a bit early. If they want an onward ticket, book one of the refundable ones and after getting to the gate, cancel it. Yes, there's a temporary hold on your credit card but who cares.

Given I now have an LTR visa, this no longer applies to me, but I am curious.  I went to the Expedia site :

https://www.theflightexpert.com/how-to-cancel-expedia-flights-and-get-a-refund/

and I read this on that site:

• Expedia doesn’t charge a fee to cancel flight reservations. However, the airline might charge a fee, depending on the fare type purchased. If this is the case, Expedia will pass this cost on to you. You can see the airlines fees, rules, and restrictions for your flights in your Expedia itinerary.

This suggests to me that one should have a flight (out of Thailand) planned in advance ready to book, just in case (so that one does not have to scramble to find a flight that does not charge a cancellation fee - even thou Expedia charges no cancellation fee).  Further, I speculate it is probably is good to arrive at the airport 30 minutes or so earlier than normal ... so to give one lots of time to book the (soon to be cancelled) onward flight.

I recall one of my flights from Germany to Thailand - because of strikes (impacting airport services) the line up was over 2 hours long just to get to the check-in counter.  If one had to leave the line, to book a ticket, and then get back in line again (at the back of the line) one would miss the flight.  Of course, one could simply buy the ticket while waiting in line 'on speculation'.

Its an interesting approach, but given I have never tried such, I think one should have the details all planned in advance.