Website for temporary flight reservation

22 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Given I now have an LTR visa, this no longer applies to me, but I am curious.  I went to the Expedia site :

https://www.theflightexpert.com/how-to-cancel-expedia-flights-and-get-a-refund/

and I read this on that site:

• Expedia doesn’t charge a fee to cancel flight reservations. However, the airline might charge a fee, depending on the fare type purchased. If this is the case, Expedia will pass this cost on to you. You can see the airlines fees, rules, and restrictions for your flights in your Expedia itinerary.

This suggests to me that one should have a flight (out of Thailand) planned in advance ready to book, just in case (so that one does not have to scramble to find a flight that does not charge a cancellation fee - even thou Expedia charges no cancellation fee).  Further, I speculate it is probably is good to arrive at the airport 30 minutes or so earlier than normal ... so to give one lots of time to book the (soon to be cancelled) onward flight.

I recall one of my flights from Germany to Thailand - because of strikes (impacting airport services) the line up was over 2 hours long just to get to the check-in counter.  If one had to leave the line, to book a ticket, and then get back in line again (at the back of the line) one would miss the flight.  Of course, one could simply buy the ticket while waiting in line 'on speculation'.

Its an interesting approach, but given I have never tried such, I think one should have the details all planned in advance.

Just don't pick the cheapo airlines/flights. Pretty much all the big ones offer this. 

I'd suggest doing a run on Expedia through to the point just before you enter the credit card. This is the page where it says cancelable for free within 24 hours. Do both a cheapo then a premiere airline to see the difference. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

Is that a Thai or a foreign card.  

Please name the ones that you have had declined!

I always use my European Mastercard credit-card for booking flights.  Don't remember whether it was AirAsia, VietJet Air, Thai Smile or Nok Air that charges extra for booking the flight with your credit-card.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

I always use my European Mastercard credit-card for booking flights.  Don't remember whether it was AirAsia, VietJet Air, Thai Smile or Nok Air that charges extra for booking the flight with your credit-card.

Are you talking about the currency exchange fee rather than a specific credit card fee?

14 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Are you talking about the currency exchange fee rather than a specific credit card fee?

Nope, the amount in THB to be paid was higher when paying by credit-card than by using a Thai debit-card or making use of other payment options.

• Confused 1