COVID infections falling steadily, fewer fatalities over past month

webfact

Here is what I want to know?

WHY?

Why are there not reliable OTC tests for "The Flu."
Why are there not reliable OTC tests for "A Cold."
Why are there not reliable OTC tests for pneumonia."
Why are there not reliable OTC tests for Dengue."
Why are there not reliable OTC tests for salmonella as well as all the other gastrointestional pathogens."
Why are there not reliable OTC tests for all of the other things that have the potential to "kill you?"

Why only tests for "Covid?" 
And why are only Covid statistics hyped?

Just wondering?

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

16 minutes ago, stoner said:

you don't know that. in 50 years covid could be very much the same as a common flu. 

But we know COVID remains much more fatal than the flu even now, just as it has been throughout the COVID pandemic, although the gap has been narrowing somewhat lately:

April 6, 2023

Risk of Death in Patients Hospitalized for COVID-19 vs Seasonal Influenza in Fall-Winter 2022-2023

"The death rate at 30 days was 5.97% for COVID-19 and 3.75% for influenza, with an excess death rate of 2.23% (95% CI, 1.32%-3.13%) (Figure).

"However, the difference in mortality rates between COVID-19 and influenza appears to have decreased since early in the pandemic; death rates among people hospitalized for COVID-19 were 17% to 21% in 2020 vs 6% in this study, while death rates for those hospitalized for influenza were 3.8% in 2020 vs 3.7% in this study.1

And that being vaccinated reduces one's odds of dying from COVID:

"The increased risk of death was greater among unvaccinated individuals compared with those vaccinated or boosted—findings that highlight the importance of vaccination in reducing risk of COVID-19 death."

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2803749

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Actually Alpha was more deadly than original strain, then Delta brought it up another notch so that's two.

Any advance on two?  but ok in the interests of accuracy ...

As far as I am currently now  reliably informe each successive variant of covid has been less deadly than previous variants, apart from two, apparently.

is that better?

nobody has yet answered my question about how many variants there have been to date must be hundreds by now maybe?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CALSinCM said:

WHY?

Why are there not reliable OTC tests for salmonella as well as all the other gastrointestional pathogens."
Why are there not reliable OTC tests for all of the other things that have the potential to "kill you?"

Just wondering?

When those diseases kill a million people in a year.....

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But we know COVID remains much more fatal than the flu even now, just as it has been throughout the COVID pandemic, although the gap has been narrowing somewhat lately:

so good thing i was talking about 50 years from now. no where did i mention anything about covid today. 

4 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Any advance on two?  but ok in the interests of accuracy ...

As far as I am currently now  reliably informe each successive variant of covid has been less deadly than previous variants, apart from two, apparently.

is that better?

nobody has yet answered my question about how many variants there have been to date must be hundreds by now maybe?

https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/alpha-omicron-everything-you-need-know-about-coronavirus-variants-concern

All info contained within

Edited by Bkk Brian

45 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The global look at COVID things in the most recent update from the WHO:

"Globally, over 1.2 million new cases and over 7100 deaths were reported in the last 28 days (22 May to 18 June 2023)."

"Reported cases are not an accurate representation of infection rates due to the reductions in testing and reporting globally."

"The highest numbers of new 28-day deaths were reported from Brazil (978 new deaths; -19%), Spain (729 new deaths; +70%), the Russian Federation (577 new deaths; -13%), Australia (496 new deaths; -6%), and Italy (420 new deaths; -36%)"

https://www.who.int/publications/m/item/weekly-epidemiological-update-on-covid-19---22-june-2023

You consistently and deliberately leave out any positive quote from these sources. Here's what you left out, from this weekly WHO update. 

"The African region has reported a slight increase in deaths but a decrease in cases, while the other five WHO regions have reported decreases in both cases and deaths."

"During this 28-day period, only 56% (133 of 234) of countries and territories reported at least one case – a proportion that has been consistently declining since mid-2022."

15 minutes ago, CALSinCM said:

WHY?

Just wondering?

And why were they happy to name the variants after the countries in which they were 1st discovered , until they found a strain in India?  Why was the original strain never referred to as the Chinese variant? There was no hesitation with the UK and South African Variants being named as such

8 hours ago, h90 said:

We have some immunity....and Covid get less and less harmful....it will fall back to the normal usual corona viruses that are unpleasant but no drama.

Or short: It is over....

Meanwhile in New Zealand as of 26 June:- 

Covid-19 latest: Two children under 10 among 36 deaths; 7702 new cases, 181 people in hospital

Two children under 10 are among the 36 deaths attributed to Covid-19 in New Zealand in the last week.

There were 7702 new cases reported to midnight on Sunday.

The Ministry of Health is reporting of the 36 deaths, two were less than 10-years-old, one was in their 40s, three were in their 50s, four were in their 60s, seven were in their 70s, 13 were in their 80s and six were aged over 90.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

not really clear enough for a thicko like me , I was looking for a simple number, I tried googling it but it does not appear to be quoted in simple terms anywhere

2 minutes ago, CALSinCM said:

I'm "Unvaccinated." So is my wife.

Most of my family are vaccinated (in fact, I don't know anyone who didn't take the shots).  All of my "vaccinated" family members, friends, as acquaintances whom I know - have had Covid at least once. Some twice.  Some three times. 
In 2021 my wife and I were exposed to "Covid positive" symptomatic family members. Twice that I know of.
Neither my wife or myself have had Covid, unless that "cold" we have in three years ago in July 2020 was "Covid."  We beat that infection in  less than 10 days.  Other than that?  We been as healthy as can be. No Upper Respiratory Infections of any kind since July 2020.

I can't say the same for other family members who had "Upper respiratory illnesses" over the last three years.  The only other "difference" between my wife and I and other family members?
We never took the mRNA shots. 

So?  Go figure?

Of course we are going to hear from others - "You're going to die of Covid!!!"

For some reason?  I don't think so. 

Here in the office some unvaccinated some vaccinated...and my parents >80.

Vaccinated all are 2x Astra Zeneca...had Covid....very light disease no problem, got good and not a second time.

Unvaccinated some but not all got covid and it was light an no problem. My father >80 had it a bit more heavy but didn't need a doctor and needed afterwards weeks till he wasn't so extreme tired anymore.

But one of my customer died of covid...and died a terrible death....And a few prominent anti vaxxer also got it terrible bad. The early versions weren't a light disease.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

"During this 28-day period, only 56% (133 of 234) of countries and territories reported at least one case – a proportion that has been consistently declining since mid-2022."

Yes, which as the WHO report explains, they consider to be an indicator that fewer and fewer countries are actively testing for and publicly reporting their COVID cases.

Thailand is an example among such countries, as Thailand last fall entirely stopped publicly reporting mere COVID cases / positive tests / infections, and since that time has only reported "cases" that are in fact hospitalizations.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

not really clear enough for a thicko like me , I was looking for a simple number, I tried googling it but it does not appear to be quoted in simple terms anywhere

This is about as clear as possible:

Omicron, Delta, Alpha, and More: What To Know About the Coronavirus Variants

A quick guide to the coronavirus variants that have been top-of-mind.

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/covid-19-variants-of-concern-omicron

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

This is about as clear as possible:

Omicron, Delta, Alpha, and More: What To Know About the Coronavirus Variants

A quick guide to the coronavirus variants that have been top-of-mind.

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/covid-19-variants-of-concern-omicron

I saw that article earlier but it also does not actually state words to the effect of " to date there have been x number of variants" that's kind of what I am looking for  must exist somewhere surely? 

I am too lazy to sit there with a pen and paper totting them all up manually.I guess nobody actually knows a definitive number

Also in view of the sentence

" Studies have suggested the B.1.1.7 lineage was more likely to land infected people in the hospital and was deadlier than the original virus."

I may have to amend the wording of my earlier post about which  variants have been more deadlier than those that preceded them,  as to be honest words like "studies have suggested" do not really cut it for me

Great news.  Especially with the kids being back at school and things being much more normal.  It seemed a lot worse this time last year, and presumably people were pretty well vaccinated at that time.

It suggests that immunity is high or the virus is weaker than it was.  That begs the question, however, why aren't we hearing about it?

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, which as the WHO report explains, they consider to be an indicator that fewer and fewer countries are actively testing for and publicly reporting their COVID cases.

Thailand is an example among such countries, as Thailand last fall entirely stopped publicly reporting mere COVID cases / positive tests / infections, and since that time has only reported "cases" that are in fact hospitalizations.

Again, you consistently and deliberately ignore information that shows covid becoming less and less of a concern,, and cherry pick anything to keep the 'fear mongering' alive and well.

"The African region has reported a slight increase in deaths but a decrease in cases, while the other five WHO regions have reported decreases in both cases and deaths."

So the entire world is reporting decreases in cases, and everywhere bar Africa a decrease in deaths.

On your comment above, why do you think many countries in the world have stopped actively testing for and publicly reporting cases?

It's because it's no longer enough of a public health concern to warrant that effort.

What does that tell you? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

What does that tell you? 

In Thailand's case, it tells me  that they're more interested in resurrecting their tourism industry and downplaying COVID than they are better protecting the health of their citizens.

As the WHO wrote in their most recent global update:

"Reported cases are not an accurate representation of infection rates due to the reductions in testing and
reporting globally."

For me at least, the fact that certain countries have decided to downplay the real, ongoing presence of COVID doesn't change the underlying reality that it remains an ongoing health risk.

Per the WHO:

"Globally, over 1.2 million new cases and over 7100 deaths were reported in the last 28 days (22 May to 18 June 2023)."

https://www.who.int/publications/m/item/weekly-epidemiological-update-on-covid-19---22-june-2023

Thailand is no longer reporting just COVID infections to the WHO, even during recent periods when MoPH doctors were estimating the country was experiencing 20,000 to 40,000 new COVID infections per day.

From late May:

"a warning yesterday from Dr. Nitipat Jiarakul, chief of the Division of the Respiratory Diseases and Tuberculosis at the Faculty of Medicine at Siriraj Hospital, that COVID-19 is staging a comeback, with as many as 20,000-40,000 people being infected each day, about 20 times more than the rate of infection in April."

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/siriraj-hospitals-icu-and-ipd-fully-occupied-with-covid-19-patients/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Just now, Bday Prang said:

I saw that article earlier but it also does not actually state words to the effect of " to date there have been x number of variants" that's kind of what I am looking for  must exist somewhere surely? 

I am too lazy to sit there with a pen and paper totting them all up manually.I guess nobody actually knows a definitive number

Also in view of the sentence

" Studies have suggested the B.1.1.7 lineage was more likely to land infected people in the hospital and was deadlier than the original virus."

I may have to amend the wording of my earlier post about which  variants have been more deadlier than those that preceded them,  as to be honest words like "studies have suggested" do not really cut it for me

My first link supplied to you contained the sub link to the complete WHO list of variants but as you say, if you're too lazy to research it then there's nothing more to be said, don't forget the sub lineages of each major variant in your quest to tot it all up.

9 hours ago, h90 said:

protection against severe illness....not coming in the ICU: OK and what has that to do with your quote Covid "effectively disappears".

No it will not disappear...it will stay with us....

And the anti vaxxer will get infected 

And when the anti-Vaxxer gets infected, they are much more infectious than those who are immunized, so they pass it on to more people.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, CALSinCM said:

I'm "Unvaccinated." So is my wife.

Most of my family are vaccinated (in fact, I don't know anyone who didn't take the shots).  All of my "vaccinated" family members, friends, as acquaintances whom I know - have had Covid at least once. Some twice.  Some three times. 
In 2021 my wife and I were exposed to "Covid positive" symptomatic family members. Twice that I know of.
Neither my wife or myself have had Covid, unless that "cold" we have in three years ago in July 2020 was "Covid."  We beat that infection in  less than 10 days.  Other than that?  We been as healthy as can be. No Upper Respiratory Infections of any kind since July 2020.

I can't say the same for other family members who had "Upper respiratory illnesses" over the last three years.  The only other "difference" between my wife and I and other family members?
We never took the mRNA shots. 

So?  Go figure?

Of course we are going to hear from others - "You're going to die of Covid!!!"

For some reason?  I don't think so. 

I hope you understand that many anti-Vaxxers had the opposite happen to them - their vaccinated family members beat Covid, but they died.

51 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

My first link supplied to you contained the sub link to the complete WHO list of variants but as you say, if you're too lazy to research it then there's nothing more to be said, don't forget the sub lineages of each major variant in your quest to tot it all up.

I won't be totting anything up I really cant be bothered, I would have expected a simple answer to be easily found on google, but it is not, I have no idea why this is the case. Even asking how many stars are in the galaxy gets a figure given albeit an estimate

I asked chat GPT which as expected was about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike unless the answer really is 12 ! 

I'm starting to think that nobody actually knows, which is quite possible considering the number of lies told regarding this subject

Just now, Bday Prang said:

I won't be totting anything up I really cant be bothered, I would have expected a simple answer to be easily found on google, but it is not, I have no idea why this is the case. Even asking how many stars are in the galaxy gets a figure given albeit an estimate

I asked chat GPT which as expected was about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike unless the answer really is 12 ! 

I'm starting to think that nobody actually knows, which is quite possible considering the number of lies told regarding this subject

But you said yourself you can't be bothered even when given the links that give the answers from people who do know.

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

But you said yourself you can't be bothered even when given the links that give the answers from people who do know.

But they don't give the simple  answer I'm looking for

• Haha 1