• Latest posts...

1. 1

Musk and Marjorie on thin ice.

2. 45

Death of Yahya Sinwar Delivers Major Blow to Hamas

3. 348

Israel Hamas War the Widening Middle East Conflict

4. 9

What comes after election day (unless Trump wins the electoral college)

5. 3

Thailand Live Monday 21 October 2024

6. 3

7. 3

8. 4,024

Latest developments and discussion of recent events in the Ukraine War

9. 18

Thailand Live Sunday 20 October 2024

10. 0

Govt Plans to Boost Education and High-Tech Workforce

11. 188

Trump ahead in all battleground states - ALL OF THEM!

12. 6,618

Australian Aged Pension

13. 9

What comes after election day (unless Trump wins the electoral college)

14. 188

Trump ahead in all battleground states - ALL OF THEM!

Not working, just helping the wife

Get a work permit. It only needs a jealousy, vindictive anonymous neighbour or dissatisfied customer to report you and the police and immigration police will be round At best that's not a good look for your wife's business. 

On 6/27/2023 at 8:40 AM, JonnyF said:

All work paid or unpaid requires a work permit. Cutting a tree down is work. It's known as being an Arborist. 

So does this mean that I need a work permit to give food and water to our rabbit and hose down her litter tray, as I do each day?

• Haha 1

On 6/30/2023 at 12:32 PM, Seeall said:

Ahhh, however, foreign visiting military "tecnically" have no work permit but they are welcome to work and give things out....  and what about all the help during the tsunami and the cave deaths?  they have no work permits, arrest them all before they do and work (save lives)  its another circus is what it is...

Whereas a Thai who, in your eyes, has the nerve to work illegally in your home country should, of course, have the book thrown at them without mercy or fear, right?

• 1 year later...
On 6/27/2023 at 10:00 PM, Almer said:

Not an issue until they upset somebody

This subject interests me as I've been guilty of "volunteering" to bring items in my car and unloading them for the family restaurant. Will get the kitchen-hands to unload in future. Also, with outside tables I've run to pick up table clothes etc as it starts to rain.

Otherwise I've tried to avoid doing anything at the restaurant besides chatting with customers. Although, I have taken customers that I've become friendly with to some tourist spots and guess that's a no-no too but never for or received any money.

The family restaurant does have surrounding similar restaurants that could get upset as the family restaurant does do well.

Generally about volunteering, I mentioned in another post about the Soi Dog Foundation and I just found this on their website under their volunteering FAQ:

Q Do I need a visa? 

A If you want to visit Soi Dog and as part of your holiday you want to volunteer, it is legitimate to enter on a tourist visa. Visas may change for different nationalities so please check with your local Thai Embassy beforehand. 

I guess it's a grey area and the Soi Dog don't have a similar business nearby that could get upset but they do cover themselves by saying "check with your local Thai Embassy".

3 hours ago, BaanOz said:

This subject interests me as I've been guilty of "volunteering" to bring items in my car and unloading them for the family restaurant. Will get the kitchen-hands to unload in future. Also, with outside tables I've run to pick up table clothes etc as it starts to rain.

Otherwise I've tried to avoid doing anything at the restaurant besides chatting with customers. Although, I have taken customers that I've become friendly with to some tourist spots and guess that's a no-no too but never for or received any money.

The family restaurant does have surrounding similar restaurants that could get upset as the family restaurant does do well.

As I understand if your Thai wife has her own shop (for example) you are permitted to 'assist'. That is what couples do. Otherwise, how could your wife attend to her bodily functions or attend a hospital appointment etc?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

As I understand if your Thai wife has her own shop (for example) you are permitted to 'assist'. That is what couples do. Otherwise, how could your wife attend to her bodily functions or attend a hospital appointment etc?

Your  thinking is "weirdo" strange! 

2 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

:cheesy: ...we normally walk together, 5mins to a nearby 5 star resort toilet that's air-conditioned while the family attend to the restaurant.

(I just relieve myself in nearby bushes)

There is competition with neighbouring restaurants and why "assisting" may be a bad idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Wrong.

A few years back a guy did some ironing (to help/relieve his wife)in a laundry shop in soi 6 Pattaya. Presumably grassed up, Immigration called and lectured him saying that if he continued his 'visa' would be cancelled.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

The scaremongering has started again. You are allowed to help you wife. final.

Yes and no,if you are working around the house doing odd jobs you are ok.

If you are doing physical labor in a business setting you better watch out.

On a farm you are probably ok to do some work but in places like a restaurant you better be careful.

Imm.is probably not an issue but jealous people who are willing to report you and all it takes is one picture and it could cost you a lot of money.

Not worth it.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Inside your wifes farm or land, you are free to work as much as you want. Nobody cares, and no legal action will be taken. So far not one proven case where it have given any consequences

Where did you study Law, if ever?

38 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

Where did you study Law, if ever?

show me one example? One case against a foreigner working inside their own property, doing labour work, and maintenence!

13 minutes ago, Hummin said:

show me one example? One case against a foreigner working inside their own property, doing labour work, and maintenence!

I don't think it is about an example,it is not legal to do so and that could backfire

anytime for every one.

Now you are talking about working on their own property,in the Op's case it is about helping the wife in her business.

1 minute ago, jvs said:

I don't think it is about an example,it is not legal to do so and that could backfire

anytime for every one.

Now you are talking about working on their own property,in the Op's case it is about helping the wife in her business.

read my first reply in this tread today,

2 hours ago, jvs said:

Yes and no,if you are working around the house doing odd jobs you are ok.

If you are doing physical labor in a business setting you better watch out.

On a farm you are probably ok to do some work but in places like a restaurant you better be careful.

Imm.is probably not an issue but jealous people who are willing to report you and all it takes is one picture and it could cost you a lot of money.

Not worth it.

This is just stupid fairytales and pure BS. It doesn´t matter if anybody take pictures, as when explained the right way, immigration will do nothing. There are no such support in the law, that states you are not allowed to help your wife in her business. Sure, you can´t be there day out and day in, as that would be working without a WP as well as stealing a job from a Thai person.

It´s all a balance of what is needed, and what can be seen as work. Sure, I know things we have read in the news. One foreigner got in big trouble for selling chicken and papaya salad together with his wife, but that guy was standing there everyday. Naturally it looks like he is working full time. Helping and stealing a work is not at all same. before I put everything together in one company, I helped my wife to build her shop, ran every morning to buy things and deliver products to the shop, as well as sometimes sit 30 minutes when she ran an errand. Nobody said anything. We even asked the police if we could do like that, and they said yes too.

It´s just time to stop with this talk and scare people from doing things. The only thing necessary is to be able to differentiate a job and helping. End of!

• Love It 1