Using old passport

Hi,can you still use your old passport after a new passport has been issued?

The old passport still has 4 months before expire date.

Old passport has a visa exempt entry in it and looking to get a 30 day extension.

Thanks.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

If you entered the country visa exempt on your old passport on this current trip (i.e. in the last 30 days), and it has not been physically invalidated by the issuing authority either cutting off of the edge+void stamped, then technically immi will likely give you an extension, and you should be able to exit on it provided you adhere to the additional 30 day limit.

When airport immi scans a passport, the machine checks only if it is an authentic passport (not a counterfeit) as well as cross checks with the info on their entry/exit database as well as specific wanted/banned lists, and not if it has been invalidated/voided which is left to the actual human operator's physical inspection of the document. It is a slightly different (technical) matter when a country revokes/cancels the passport of one of its citizens due to a criminal matter etc. 

Having said that, why/how the hell did the issuing authority (assume embassy or consulate here) not invalidate/void it? It's one of the most basic jobs of a consular official that I would think would never be overlooked in the issuance process for a new one. The only exception would be a lost pp. In this case your old one will come up on the system at the point of entry of your home country if you try to get in using it (obviously it's better just switch to the new one upon arrival, otherwise it might end up being a 15 minute holdup until they're cleared you and confiscated the expired one).

Essentially, you currently have 2 valid passports until one expires in a few months. And unless you report the 2nd (new) pp to Thai immi, as far as they are concerned you are officially and legally on the old one.

Actually not an entirely rare situation, many folks have two pps for various reasons. You just happen to have yours by accident/mistake on the part of your embassy/consulate. Not your problem/responsibility.

Edited by Sandboxer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

No, can't use old passport, no longer valid, go to Immigration for 30 day extension with new and old passport

I'm trying to help a friend out he's the one with the issue.

He was able to fly into Thailand with his old passport with a 60 day tourist visa.

Can he get his 30 day extension in his old passport?

Just now, Sandboxer said:

If you actually entered the country on your old passport on this current trip (i.e. in the last 30 days), and it has not been physically invalidated by the issuing authority either cutting off of the edge+void stamped, then technically immi will likely give you an extension, and you should be able to exit on it provided you adhere to the additional 30 day limit.

When immi scans a passport, the machine checks only if it is an authentic passport (not a counterfeit) as well as cross checks with the info on their entry/exit database, and not if it has been invalidated/voided. It is a slightly different (technical) matter when a country cancels the passport of one of its citizens due to a criminal matter etc. 

Good man thanks for the help.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

I'm trying to help a friend out he's the one with the issue.

He was able to fly into Thailand with his old passport with a 60 day tourist visa.

Can he get his 30 day extension in his old passport?

He can get the 30 day extension.

Take both passports

1 hour ago, Sandboxer said:

If you entered the country visa exempt on your old passport on this current trip (i.e. in the last 30 days), and it has not been physically invalidated by the issuing authority either cutting off of the edge+void stamped, then technically immi will likely give you an extension, and you should be able to exit on it provided you adhere to the additional 30 day limit.

When airport immi scans a passport, the machine checks only if it is an authentic passport (not a counterfeit) as well as cross checks with the info on their entry/exit database as well as specific wanted/banned lists, and not if it has been invalidated/voided which is left to the actual human operator's physical inspection of the document. It is a slightly different (technical) matter when a country revokes/cancels the passport of one of its citizens due to a criminal matter etc. 

Having said that, why/how the hell did the issuing authority (assume embassy or consulate here) not invalidate/void it? It's one of the most basic jobs of a consular official that I would think would never be overlooked in the issuance process for a new one. The only exception would be a lost pp. In this case your old one will come up on the system at the point of entry of your home country if you try to get in using it (obviously it's better just switch to the new one upon arrival, otherwise it might end up being a 15 minute holdup until they're cleared you and confiscated the expired one).

Essentially, you currently have 2 valid passports until one expires in a few months. And unless you report the 2nd (new) pp to Thai immi, as far as they are concerned you are officially and legally on the old one.

Actually not an entirely rare situation, many folks have two pps for various reasons. You just happen to have yours by accident/mistake on the part of your embassy/consulate. Not your problem/responsibility.

Maybe it's because you can get some passports online now, so the Embassy doesn't actually see your old passport to invalidate it.

It's cancelled online.

12 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Maybe it's because you can get some passports online now, so the Embassy doesn't actually see your old passport to invalidate it.

It's cancelled online.

Still requires either the physical mailing of the old (the one to be replaced) pp to the embassy/issuing authority, the police "loss" report.

As mentioned previously, there is a huge difference (in terms of what a Thai immi pp reader machine and the home country border control's officer will see on their screens. 

The exact wording in regard to discussing this particular case is therefore important. The OP's pp has not been "cancelled" as far as an overseas immi officer is concerned. 

Revocation - generally done due to ongoing criminal procedures - usually distributed to partnering global immi watch lists and law enforcement agencies.

Cancellation - slightly less serious, may or may not be released.

Expiration, invalidation/voiding of an expired pp - zero release. All an overseas immi officer will see on the screen is that it is an authentic pp, with the biometric data, and the persons entry/exit history into the respective country.

Edited by Sandboxer

2 minutes ago, Sandboxer said:

Still requires either the physical mailing of the old (the one to be replaced) pp to the embassy/issuing authority, the police "loss" report.

As mentioned previously, there is a huge difference (in terms of what a Thai immi pp reader machine and the home country border control's officer will see on their screens. 

The exact wording in regard to discussing this particular case is therefore important. The OP's pp has not been "cancelled" as far as an overseas immi officer is concerned. 

Revocation - generally done due to ongoing criminal procedures - usually distributed to partnering global immi watch lists and law enforcement agencies.

Cancellation - slightly less serious, may or may not be released.

Expiration, invalidation/voiding of an expired pp - zero release. All an overseas immi officer will see on the screen is that it is an authentic pp, with the biometric data, and the persons entry/exit history into the respective country.

This is incorrect.

At least it is for Australian passport renewals.

5 minutes ago, Will27 said:

This is incorrect.

At least it is for Australian passport renewals.

It is the norm for most embassies to require this but if Australia is a rare exception then I stand corrected.

Doesn't change the remaining facts of the discussion.

7 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

VFS, on behalf of the British Passport Office require the old passport to be brought in to enable the new one to be released and the old one cancelled.

However, accidents do happen, and in 2 cases I am aware of, the new passport was delivered direct to the client by DHL courier instead of VFS, so the client still had his old and new passports.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

VFS, on behalf of the British Passport Office require the old passport to be brought in to enable the new one to be released and the old one cancelled.

However, accidents do happen, and in 2 cases I am aware of, the new passport was delivered direct to the client by DHL courier instead of VFS, so the client still had his old and new passports.

Different procedures for different countries.

You can get an Australian passport online now.

4 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I was talking about getting a new/renewal Aussie passport in Thailand online.

Yes but the online process may require a scan of the police report? I don't see how they would just drop that requirement just because an application is being made online (specifically talking about stolen/lost pps although not really relevant in the OP's case).

Australia is of course free to do whatever they want in regard to requiring a popo report or not,  I'm just saying that this is an almost universal requirement at any country's embassy/consulate so I'm almost shocked they would deviate from that.

Anyway, not really relevant to the specific case I suppose.

Edited by Sandboxer

2 minutes ago, Sandboxer said:

Yes but the online process may require a scan of the police report? I don't see how they would just drop that requirement just because an application is being made online (specifically talking about stolen/lost pps).

Australia is of course free to do whatever they want in regard to requiring a popo report or not,  I'm just saying that this is an almost universal requirement at any country's embassy/consulate so I'm almost shocked they would deviate from that.

I was never talking about a stolen passport.

I was talking about getting a new passport online.

Presenting the old passport at check in when he leaves means it will get flagged up as invalid by his home country when they receive the API from the airline, potentially resulting in denied boarding.  I'm not sure what the airline would think if presented new and old, but perhaps a supervisor could "fix" the system.

I have just received my new UK passport, I applied online in the UK. You have to send the old passport and will not start processing the application until they receive the old passport, they send it back with the corner cut off. A rather unnecessary step in my opinion. An easier way would be to ask the applicant to cutt off the corner and upload a photo of the old passport with the corner cut off.

46 minutes ago, jimn said:

A rather unnecessary step in my opinion.

Your pp is actually the property of UK gov. 

It's basically illegal for you to do anything to your pp.

BTW: most countries cut of scan strip .

Also generally place stamp in pp confirming that any visas, reentry permits etc are still valid

Edited by DrJack54

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Your pp is actually the property of UK gov. 

It's basically illegal for you to do anything to your pp.

BTW: most countries cut of scan strip .

Also generally place stamp in pp confirming that any visas, reentry permits etc are still valid

Yes I understand the government owns the passport, I was suggesting a way around the need to post the old passport back, for them to cut off the corner and return to sender. Surely if they gave permission for the holder to cut off the corner and upload a photo, this would save an enormous amount of time.